MC225 reissue

Wvnyc@Ct

I wish Mac would follow their approach with the 275 and reintroduce modernized versions of the MC225 the MC30's. These are such storied products, are hot on the vintage market and would sort of be an answer to the flea watt/SET crowd for low powered, high textured kit for the super efficient speakers out there...thoughts??

I doubt Mc will pursue either amp. The 225 was a very special combination of transformers, WH-7591 and RCA 12bh7 tubes. I feel the re-issues of the Mc- 275 lacks something from the original and with the 225 I think the difference will be more noticeable. I'm not taking anything away from the 275 as each reissue sound wonderful; it’s just missing a certain sparkle from the original version - Maybe the missing 12AT7 tube in the complement.
I can’t comment on the Mc-30 I never heard this amp

I agree with the idea of reissuing the MC225 and would add the MC250 to the mix. I think with today's components they could duplicate them with ease and improve the sound. Not all need or want $10,000 amps.

It would be interesting. The original MC225 is pretty modern sounding itself. I'm not sure it would differ sonically like the original MC275 and reissue 275 supposedly differ. I'm pretty sure that the original and reissue MC275 had very different output transformers. The original had three primary windings the reissue's had two which is more like the MC60 type amp and not the original 275 and MC75. At least this is what I recall observing at one time.
Mike

My MC225 has an unbelievably flat response from 10Hz - 100kHz. Stephen Mantz rebuilt it for me but what a testament to the original design. It's the only amp I have that my fiancé will actually spend time listening to.

Personally I'd prefer Mc not reissue it as originals can still be had reasonably. A reissue would put focus on the original and cause the price to increase. As it is now, the MC225 is within reach of many enthusiasts ... If only more knew how sweet they were!

My MC225 has an unbelievably flat response from 10Hz - 100kHz. Stephen Mantz rebuilt it for me but what a testament to the original design. It's the only amp I have that my fiancé will actually spend time listening to.

Personally I'd prefer Mc not reissue it as originals can still be had reasonably. A reissue would put focus on the original and cause the price to increase. As it is now, the MC225 is within reach of many enthusiasts ... If only more knew how sweet they were!

I agree not to re-issue the Mc-225 but if you look at the pricing of the Mc-275 before the re-issue frenzy and compare to todays prices, the price has almost trippled for an original clean, fully functional Mc-275. Not sure that would be the case with the mc-225

So anyone holding an original would be happy as their investment would appreciate even more and the next generation of Mac lovers could enjoy a glimpse of history brought into the modern era....sounds like a win-win to me:)

For a while it seemed like the reissue MC275's sort of drove the prices of the originals down. Now it seems like you see originals bringing crazy prices again. Of course condition means a lot with the originals and they were never that common to begin with. I actually wonder if their are or will be more reissues than originals made.
Mike

For a while it seemed like the reissue MC275's sort of drove the prices of the originals down. Now it seems like you see originals bringing crazy prices again. Of course condition means a lot with the originals and they were never that common to begin with. I actually wonder if their are or will be more reissues than originals made.
Mike

This is true. I remember six years ago some guy coming up to me and complaining that his original Mc275 wasn't worth what the re-issue was going for. Hopefully he still has it. And it's so true. They were never even close to common as the Mc240 was/is, but then again they made twice as many 240s vs 275s. However, they made about 3,000 less Mc225s than 275s.

The only tube amplifier I own (other than the MI200s which don't work) is a Mc225.

I think they could do some cool things with the product's positioning such as premium upcharge for NOS tubes, caps and hand wound silver transformers...sort of a custom made-to-order..... to give it a signature voice from years past but with modern features, eg tube chimneys, auto cut off, gold plated binding posts, SS chassis, XLR

I think they could do some cool things with the product's positioning such as premium upcharge for NOS tubes, caps and hand wound silver transformers...sort of a custom made-to-order..... to give it a signature voice from years past but with modern features, eg tube chimneys, auto cut off, gold plated binding posts, SS chassis, XLR

Yes, there is definitely some money to made there no doubt in my mind. Sort of like a McIntosh 'Custom Shop' like Fender has done. People didn't think that Fender could pull it off, but let me tell you it has been doing well, yes very well since they did it. People have the deep pockets to make something special that much more 'special' if you know what I mean. If McIntosh did it it would take a few years, but there is money - lots - of money to be made on specials.

This is true. I remember six years ago some guy coming up to me and complaining that his original Mc275 wasn't worth what the re-issue was going for. Hopefully he still has it. And it's so true. They were never even close to common as the Mc240 was/is, but then again they made twice as many 240s vs 275s. However, they made about 3,000 less Mc225s than 275s.

The only tube amplifier I own (other than the MI200s which don't work) is a Mc225.

Count

Get the MI200 up and running! You have a rare gem. I run my 225's and 3500's together - horn setup. The MI-200 would power a horn subwoofer with authority - no boom or thump, real solid fast bass, minimal filtering that will keep up with horns or planers with ease.

I have had visions of my one-year-old pulling out the 8005 tubes and sticking his fingers in the power supply. I wanted to drop them off at Terry's when I drove from San Diego to Rhode Island but that didn't happen. They have been sitting for three years. I also have a original K107 single. Who knows. I had great passion for this setup but since I use the 2300s everyday (three) and have the 2500 prototype, not to mention many others (Mc225, etc), I don't know how practical they are. They are quite simple in architecture and even with all my bravado of rebuilding many 2300s, 2100s, and everything else in between the idea of firing up 50-year-old MI200s scares me. I think it's above my head right now. The priority would be getting a rack like ron-c has so at least they are mounted correctly. I may start looking for a respectable rack.

Back
Top Bottom