Interesting Musician Interview Referencing McIntosh

That was a fantastic read. Love his taste in gear and music. That first album he had, my girlfriend bought for me, the original. Great album.

I hate to say it, but he's an idiot, and makes no sense.

Early digital being the "most pure"? Seriously? Bolose 901's not going below 250hz or "3 or 4 k"? I don't like the 901 but I know they have more frequency response than that. 96k "not being in the music"? 96k is the SAMPLING RATE, which would make a 48khz maximum frequency response limit, which some acoustic instruments DO have resonances up there. Might not be there much, but it could be.

He has no comprehension of what they're talking about, and while his ears might not be lying, the terminology is beyond wrong.

I do agree with his views on recording technique, bleed, and leakage, though.

Live in the studio with the bleed and leakage...I like that and I like that a musician like him talks about it and about the intention of the music versus the perfection of the song and its recording.

"As far as home stereo listening goes, I’m analog all the way. I really love that early solid state — McIntosh 2205 [power amplifiers], 100 watts a side. Even on a CD, the band sounds like it’s in the room."

100 watts a side........????

I hate to say it, but he's an idiot, and makes no sense.

Early digital being the "most pure"? Seriously? Bolose 901's not going below 250hz or "3 or 4 k"? I don't like the 901 but I know they have more frequency response than that. 96k "not being in the music"? 96k is the SAMPLING RATE, which would make a 48khz maximum frequency response limit, which some acoustic instruments DO have resonances up there. Might not be there much, but it could be.

He has no comprehension of what they're talking about, and while his ears might not be lying, the terminology is beyond wrong.

I do agree with his views on recording technique, bleed, and leakage, though.

Yeah. Totally agree with you......
All you have to do is look at the VU meters to know the MC2205 is 200 watts per channel....
I don't agree with his theory about bit depth and sample frequencies at all......

Back
Top Bottom