Yamaha P3500 Power Amp Pics

SoCal Sam

Lunatic Member
The P3500 is a 350 wpc beast.

p35001.jpg

p35002.jpg

:smoke::smoke::smoke:

Pro audio, old-school, lead sled. I love it!! Built to work like a mule and crank out the wattizzles all day long.

Have seen those from time to time, are the fans noticeable? Looks very tidy but how big are the PS cap cans? Also, is it a dual voltage power supply system class H?

Have seen those from time to time, are the fans noticeable? Looks very tidy but how big are the PS cap cans? Also, is it a dual voltage power supply system class H?

Fans are not as bad as say a new QSC or Crown but they are noticeable. I turned down the bias to 12.5 mV (from factory spec 15) and disconnected the fans. I'll have to test this configuration to see if the heat is acceptable. So far, so good.

Four main filters are all 9000 uF 110V so not a dual rail. No power management schemes ala the R-2000 dual rail, this is good old fashion heavy metal power.

it bears a fair resemblance to the PC4002M. only 18,000uF per channel though for a 350Wpc amp? while not necessarily bad, that's still less than the PC-2002. on PA speakers, which are generally not current hogs AFAIK, that might be perfectly acceptable. on some demanding home speakers playing at higher levels, the dynamics might suffer a bit. hopefully you can keep running it w/o the fan, or at least slow the fan down to where it's inaudible if you do need to have it run.

it bears a fair resemblance to the PC4002M. only 18,000uF per channel though for a 350Wpc amp? while not necessarily bad, that's still less than the PC-2002. on PA speakers, which are generally not current hogs AFAIK, that might be perfectly acceptable. on some demanding home speakers playing at higher levels, the dynamics might suffer a bit. hopefully you can keep running it w/o the fan, or at least slow the fan down to where it's inaudible if you do need to have it run.

My thoughts exactly. Very PC4002M-ish. If the fans and circuitry are similar, they run slow and are only noticeable at very low volumes.

Here is the spec sheet. Not a true power doubler but it does continue to generate significantly more power into 4 and 2 ohm loads.

p35001-1.jpg

My thoughts exactly. Very PC4002M-ish. If the fans and circuitry are similar, they run slow and are only noticeable at very low volumes.

Interesting. The PC4002M is a 1989 model while the P3500 came out in 1994. The P3500 is smaller and lighter, IIRC the dimensions of the PC4002M.

Without the fan, the heatsinks warmed up a little. Nothing to worry about with the cover off but since there are no vent holes in the top, I decided to re-connect the fan. The noise is a little more strident than a personal computer or a copy machine but with music on, it disappears.

Anyways, the P3500 is on loan from an audio buddy so maybe I'll negotiate a trade or something.

it bears a fair resemblance to the PC4002M. only 18,000uF per channel though for a 350Wpc amp? while not necessarily bad, that's still less than the PC-2002.

Perhaps, but if the rail voltages are higher, you still may have as much or more power storage. The capacity of the caps in and of itself is only part of the story. For example, tube amps have usually much smaller capacitors, but at 300-400 volts, or more, they have many Joules of energy on tap in those (relatively) small caps.

Last edited:
Interesting. The PC4002M is a 1989 model while the P3500 came out in 1994. The P3500 is smaller and lighter, IIRC the dimensions of the PC4002M.

Without the fan, the heatsinks warmed up a little. Nothing to worry about with the cover off but since there are no vent holes in the top, I decided to re-connect the fan. The noise is a little more strident than a personal computer or a copy machine but with music on, it disappears.

Anyways, the P3500 is on loan from an audio buddy so maybe I'll negotiate a trade or something.

Is the fan a standard 80mm or 120mm "muffin" fan or something else? If standard muffin fan, for $9 you can get NMB hydrowave low velocity fans from DigiKey. I put these in my HT QSC pro amps and now you can't hear any fan noise from the stack of four once you get more than a foot or two away, and that's without any sound playing in the room. Even with the low velocity fans there is plenty of cooling for home use duty cycle.

Perhaps, but if the rail voltages are higher, you still may have as much or more power storage. The capacity of the caps in and of itself is only part of the story. For example, tube amps have usually much smaller capacitors, but at 300-400 volts, or more, they have many Joules of energy on tap in those (relatively) small caps.

that's a good point that i sometimes forget about.

Is the fan a standard 80mm or 120mm "muffin" fan or something else? If standard muffin fan, for $9 you can get NMB hydrowave low velocity fans from DigiKey. I put these in my HT QSC pro amps and now you can't hear any fan noise from the stack of four once you get more than a foot or two away, and that's without any sound playing in the room. Even with the low velocity fans there is plenty of cooling for home use duty cycle.

Yes, standard fan. Good idea on the low velocity fans, if the unit joins the stable I will get them.

Bumping ....!

Anyone with experience with these amps playing 1 ohm domestic (ribbons) load will the protection circuit intervene , as it appears it will drive the load if not ...

Regards

That amp is almost identical to the forgotten PC2602...........

I do have the PC2602 and have played it at moderate home listening levels for more than nine or 10 continuous hours at a time and the fan has never come up......
Great amp if you ask me.....

Back
Top Bottom