Marantz 2600

yonder

No affiliation. Houston Tx cl. Marantz 2600. $4000.
Teac x1000r $325, that sounds pretty good.

I have seen them go for even higher.

Yeah, these threads are classic sticker shock from those who covet. I paid a small fortune for one and never played it. It was too fragile and too valuable. I sold it for a slightly larger fortune.:D

I saw one one time at Merrylander's. All of these vintage monster receivers are neat to look at, and way overrated.
I knew a one time owner who picked one up at a pawn shop in the early 1990's for $85. And took a best offer on Ebay because he thought it wasn't going to go high enough (This guy talked a mile a second, very odd person) at the auctions end. It was $1200 about five years ago.
You can buy an awfully nice piece of modern gear used for that price. You can buy an awfully nice modern integrated for a lot less.

Yeah, these threads are classic sticker shock from those who covet. I paid a small fortune for one and never played it. It was too fragile and too valuable. I sold it for a slightly larger fortune.:D

Smart.

Good move.Kind of like a real valuable classic musclecar (Hemi Cuda,Challenger).Too valuable to drive anymore in case of accident.So what is the use of having one.When something reaches that level I am all for selling it to use the money on something I can use.I never heard a 2500-2600 but I have a hard time imagining it is worth that kind of dough.

I'm really waiting for the market to fall on these pieces. The upswing is right now and everyone is wanting the mid modern look vs. sound atleast in my area. I think when the market comes back down and the demand is less we will have some really nice pieces at bargin prices again. I love the pieces but like superdog and Sam say, it's really not more than a novelty that can be admired but not used based on the value.

If I have a sports car I want to drive it and enjoy it, no sense in having a trailer queen right?

I don't see this stuff going down any time soon--they're too scarce and too expensive to seriously drop. I also personally wouldn't worry about running something nice as a daily driver--it's just a receiver, it's not a $100,000 car or something. If it dies, you get it fixed.

I don't see this stuff going down any time soon--they're too scarce and too expensive to seriously drop. I also personally wouldn't worry about running something nice as a daily driver--it's just a receiver, it's not a $100,000 car or something. If it dies, you get it fixed.

Yeah. I just think it's overpriced, and overrated for the price. But it's not going to get cheaper. Tuners look cool, oooohhhh.

Prices will not be coming down...ever. The 2600 was the crown jewel of my receiver collection and therein lies the 2600's undeniable appeal and lofty valuation. I used to have a pair of 2500's and compared them to the 2600. They sound identical so there was no reason to play the 2600. The 2600 is not as easily repaired as say a 2230. You need an ace tech, which I am lucky to live near. In fact, he used to work for Marantz and told many stories of failed transformers in the 2600. So the decision to sell was easy to make.

A man can dream ..... lol

I suppose I was looking at it in a way that like other hobbies the market that drives the price slowly dies off.

For instance, I have an 18th Century bronze that a few years back was bringing in well over 4-6K a pop. However as time has rolled on, the demand or desire of the market has settled and now it's not in the same price point.

I was just looking at it from the aspect of all those who desired the pieces are slowly falling out of interest or passing, and the new generation may or may not pick up after them. I guess it's a little bit out there but I was just hoping that it could happen. I suppose your right though.

Back
Top Bottom