Ebay question and shipping dilemma

Fedex is dirt-cheap for most stuff, even if you're oversize. If you're under, it's a steal. If you get a discount it gets even better.

the thing you need to know,is that the bigger the box,the greater the cost.I deal with a packing agent,who professionally packs all my audio.But the bigger the box the greater the cost.That is because they charge a specific minimum charge by size,calling it "Dimensional weight".your item may only weigh 15 pounds,but with an oversized box,you will pay for a 65 lb box.I always tell the buyers,that they are to pay actual packing and shipping fees.Packing usually adds another 15-20 dollars to the shipping fee,but it's packed well.

I just shipped a fifteen inch woofer today using Fedex for the first time. After noticing that the USPS had apparently changed their rates, I decided to check the rates at Fedex.

Plugging in the box size and weight that I planned upon using, I was quoted just over $40. While awaiting payment I received a fifteen inch woofer and decided to reuse that box and packing material since it had worked fine for the one I received.

After finishing the packing job, I found the end product to be slightly larger and a little lighter than my planned package. I took it to Fedex only to be asked for $70. Questioning the clerk, I found that because the box was about an inch larger in every dimension, it fell into a much more expensive category.

I took it out to the car and unpacked it and decided to ship it in only the previously inner carton. Now, it was both smaller and lighter than when the Fedex website quoted me just over $40.

I go back in and am told that it's $44 and change. I mention that my package is both smaller and lighter than when the website told me it would be just over $40. They tell me that the counter rate is higher, but give me an immediate discount to make up the difference. I'm not too sure that Fedex is going to be as much better than the USPS as I had hoped.

I just shipped a fifteen inch woofer today using Fedex for the first time. After noticing that the USPS had apparently changed their rates, I decided to check the rates at Fedex.

Plugging in the box size and weight that I planned upon using, I was quoted just over $40. While awaiting payment I received a fifteen inch woofer and decided to reuse that box and packing material since it had worked fine for the one I received.

After finishing the packing job, I found the end product to be slightly larger and a little lighter than my planned package. I took it to Fedex only to be asked for $70. Questioning the clerk, I found that because the box was about an inch larger in every dimension, it fell into a much more expensive category.

I took it out to the car and unpacked it and decided to ship it in only the previously inner carton. Now, it was both smaller and lighter than when the Fedex website quoted me just over $40.

I go back in and am told that it's $44 and change. I mention that my package is both smaller and lighter than when the website told me it would be just over $40. They tell me that the counter rate is higher, but give me an immediate discount to make up the difference. I'm not too sure that Fedex is going to be as much better than the USPS as I had hoped.

I have been using FedEx using my credit card. So they would initially charge me what their web based estimator showed. After the pkg is shipped, they would then have the final cost and charge that against my credit card, and inevitably it's about 15% higher than the initial estimate. Did a quick search on the web, and a bunch of people are complaining about that of FedEx. I use them because their tracking info is way better than usps.

Ebay gives an automatic Fedex discount as does ShipRush and also prints a label. You just walk in and get it scanned and you are done. You do need a scale though.

Shippers also have a couple size breaks. 84" girth and length defaults to 30#, 108" defaults to 50# and 130" is maximum size or defaults to a heavily surcharged oversize.

It's not too complicated once you get the hang of it.

Last edited:
Yeah, he had it set up using Fedex. I agree, I use Fedex for almost everything but the small stuff. That goes USPS.

The problem is he is using too big of a box. He may be too cheap, too lazy or maybe he just doesn't have the time to go buy the right one. I don't know. Ironically, it will cost him more. I honestly thought he knew better with his feedback rating. I'm starting to think that's all bullshit now after quite a few experiences on eBay. But that is a different subject. I overpack things and I'm telling you, you don't need a box 10" bigger in all dimensions over the sub. I told him to take his time too but he fired back in a day with it already packed. Takes me longer just to gather the right materials.

Last edited:
I found out relatively quickly how much cheaper Fedex ground was over UPS. I dropped UPS like a bad habit.

A number of you are saying this but I am not seeing it, the fedex web calculator which I use for the ebay estimate is going way way over UPS (fedex is next door to UPS and I have a fedex acct....) I wonder why the discrepancy

Ebay kicked me off for shipping a little later than specified but ONLY after I conferred with the buyer who was always happy to wait for proper shipping and packing, which sometimes meant a trip to home depot to buy insulation sheets. I NEVER got criticized or neg'd for arrival time or condition. It wasn't until ebay bought paypal which apparently tracked my shipping dates (which may have lagged 2 or 3 days) that my rating started to go down. They never explained to me why they kicked me off after 800+ sold items over the course of 6 years. However I read stories about sellers like these ripping people off and there they are, still selling. I sometimes LOST money shipping because extra packing would cost me, not the buyer. I say nail 'im.

Last edited:
Ebay kicked me off for shipping a little later than specified but ONLY after I conferred with the buyer who was always happy to wait for proper shipping and packing, which sometimes meant a trip to home depot to buy insulation sheets. I NEVER got criticized or neg'd for arrival time or condition. It wasn't until ebay bought paypal which apparently tracked my shipping dates (which may have lagged 2 or 3 days) that my rating started to go down. They never explained to me why they kicked me off after 800+ sold items over the course of 6 years. However I read stories about sellers like these ripping people off and there they are, still selling. I sometimes LOST money shipping because extra packing would cost me, not the buyer. I say nail 'im.

How much time did you take to ship on average? I ask, because I'd like to avoid getting kicked! They let you specify whether you'll ship in 1-4 business days, so they must be ok with some delay right?

A number of you are saying this but I am not seeing it, the fedex web calculator which I use for the ebay estimate is going way way over UPS (fedex is next door to UPS and I have a fedex acct....) I wonder why the discrepancy

I don't know what to tell you. I came to my conclusion when I started selling extra/unwanted stuff around the house (ebay) to make money and reduce clutter. Of course that included some stereo gear. I used UPS for everything until I sold a pair of JBL L-112 speaker grills. I offer FREE shipping on everything, and UPS wanted $78 to ship them to California. This meant I was going to make less than $20 on that sale. So I checked out FedEx for the first time. Shipping was $16, and you can imagine how large that box was. I then started to compare using the ebay calculator, and Fedex is hands down cheaper (by far) every time. I pack well and have never had damage during shipping using them.

I use USPS First Class Mail for items 13oz or less, and USPS Priority Mail for other smaller items. Larger heavier items are always way cheaper using Fedex. The ebay calculator makes the comparisons very easy.

How much time did you take to ship on average? I ask, because I'd like to avoid getting kicked! They let you specify whether you'll ship in 1-4 business days, so they must be ok with some delay right?

They allow you to specify much longer than that, although they try to "encourage" you with language about "Exception handling times" for anything longer than three days.

The trick is to set your handling time appropriately and ship within it. I use 3 days for most things, but set it to 5 for anything particularly tricky that's going to require extra time.

Recently, a chap made an offer on such an item, but asked me to delay shipping it for a couple of weeks. I explained the situation and we agreed the following: I rejected his offer and edited the listing to show a 15 day handling time, then he re-submitted the same offer and I accepted it. Result - the item shipped within the stated handling time and nobody got hurt.

It's all about delivering what you promise as ebay's automated sub-routines see it. A computer program isn't a person and can't parse messages or conversations, so you have to make sure that the numbers that it does look at add up correctly.

I hardly remember. It's been so long ago, maybe three years. My point is that eBay interfered with a transaction outside the scope of their business model. They would argue differently. Audio is different than buying a pair of pliers or so you would think. Packing 15 to 40 pound equipment is a bit more logistically taxing than putting something in a padded envelope and shipping it off. And I never knew if someone local was buying, avoiding the box and padding efforts. I did well on eBay while it lasted because I always enjoyed getting an item successfully shipped (ever packed a turntable correctly?).

I'd say that sometimes shipping took a few days longer than expected. In one case a week longer because the item weighed 50lbs. My suggestion is to stock up on packing materials or at least have a local source that you can access immediately. This is not a business for part-timers. Some sellers have told me that eBay has treated them like criminals where it is the BUYER who is at fault, backing out on commitments to follow through or complaining when they receive the item, hoping to get the item free. It is eBay whose business model needs improving. In my opinion, you are better off selling on CL where you can meet the buyer face to face locally. You may sell for less, but considering that I sometimes invested hours just to pack something, the tradeoff is worth it and you can count your money immediately. AND my basement does not look like a warehouse packing station. I live between two well known metropolitan areas but I still have to wait sometimes for an item to get sold.

Last edited:

Fedex defaults to overnight shipping and you have to select a cheaper/slower option.

Fedex is way cheaper than anyone else on larger packages, by a large amount.

Fedex defaults to overnight shipping and you have to select a cheaper/slower option.

Fedex is way cheaper than anyone else on larger packages, by a large amount.

Yes, Fedex is way cheaper than UPS. Way cheaper- sometimes half on bigger packages. How UPS stays in business I will never understand. They are the roughest on packages and absolutely refuse to pay out claims on anything that wasn't packed by them. And if it was packed by them, it will not survive because they suck at packing. They religiously use peanuts which are only good for the illusion of safety. They are clueless. I wish UPS would go bankrupt in all honesty. Figure all quotes with Fedex Ground and never look back. Seriously, it will save you major future headaches. I can provide several instances and examples of bad business through UPS. I will never willingly use them again..ever. They are that bad to me.

Last edited:
So I sold a pair of speakers today. Buy it now or best offer. I accepted a fair offer. Then the buyer pays and follows it immediately with an email saying that due to their vacation plans I am not to ship until jan1. Say what? Am I a storage facility? Thoughts?

When I ship an item I sold on Ebay, and use FedEx, I take a cell phone photo
right at the counter. I attach the tracking number and send it to the buyer on the spot. Always use EBAY's Email 'contact the buyer'(not the email address from PayPal)They save photos on their server, and it's time dated.

Djeclypse------ I'd take a picture of the item boxed and send it to the buyer.
Mention the special shipping request. Also, request receipt of the Email.
Good luck & happy listening!

Back
Top Bottom