Wharfedale MP2800 power amp

Tierbo

Anyone know if these are any good and what a fair price would be for a used one? I can hardly find any reviews or discussions about these...

http://www.wharfedalepro.com/product-detail.php?pid=29

Stereo Power Output
8 Ohms x 2 640W
4 Ohms x 2 950W
2 Ohms x 2 1400W
Bridged Mono Output
8 Ohms 1950
4 Ohms 2800
Frequency Response 5Hz - 30 kHz
Inputs 2 x XLR, 2 x 6.3mm Jack
Topology Class AB
Outputs 3 x Speakon, Binding Post
Sensitivity +0dBu (0.775 Vrms)
Balanced Input Impedance 20kOhms
Max. Input Level 22dBu (9.7Vrms)
Protection Thermal, over-current, output DC,output short, power on/off mute
Cooling Variable Speed Fan
Display Power, Protect, Bridge, Peak LEDs
Dimensions 133 x 495 x 455
Net Weight 25kg / 55.11 lbs
Gross Weight 26.5kg / 58.42lbs

No help here but I am always leery when major specs are omitted. Might be okay for road use but in a home system, I want to know as much as possible as to specs. Might be perfectly okay.

Since the max power you can get from a 120V/15A power supply is 1800 watts, I don't see how they could get 1900 watts in 8 ohm bridge mode (let alone the 2800 watts they claim in 4 ohm bridge mode). IOW, take these specs with a grain of salt.

Also, pro amps are generally built for loudness, efficiency and reliability rather than best sound quality. Not these these are always contradictory, but when anything is built at a price some sacrifices have to be made. It might sound fine, but I'd give it a critical listen before you commit to buying.

Thanks for the feedback! He was wanting $350 for it, but I think I will pass.

He has a QSC MX1500 too in near mint condition that would probably be a better unit as I have seen it get favorable reviews. He wants $250 for that one.

Seems to me that at that price you could find an amp designed for home use. Check out the Soundcraftsmen PCR800 (or the commercial version PM860 - very similar but with different connectors), it can usually be found on ebay for under $200. A true 200 watts/channel into 8 ohms. It's small and reliable, and can handle 4 ohm loads if you need it.

Last edited:
Since the max power you can get from a 120V/15A power supply is 1800 watts, I don't see how they could get 1900 watts in 8 ohm bridge mode (let alone the 2800 watts they claim in 4 ohm bridge mode). IOW, take these specs with a grain of salt.

Also, pro amps are generally built for loudness, efficiency and reliability rather than best sound quality. Not these these are always contradictory, but when anything is built at a price some sacrifices have to be made. It might sound fine, but I'd give it a critical listen before you commit to buying.

Wharfedale = UK = 220v
Which is something to keep in mind if you see one and don't live in the UK

Yes, I'm aware of that, but if you look at the manual it accepts multiple voltages, and there's no disclaimer on the spec sheet about power output vs. voltage input.

Yes, from the specs it does seem to meet Dr. Who's statement of inverse proportionality or whatever he called it.

Apparently, the website that I quoted is for the newer version of this amp, if you click on the manual/pdf for this it has the corrected specs for the older version I guess in PDF format.

It is definately more power than I would need. I was looking at a PA amp to dable in and this one was available in mint condition so I thought I would ask the good folks here at AK what they thought..

I'd buy the MX-1500 in a heartbeat, and use the ignore feature for those posts implying any bullshit about differences between amplifiers designed for home or pro use, it's just unsubstantiated bullshit.

Back
Top Bottom