Magnavox Micromatic Q

MarcoFantone

First post to AK! I've been looking through the forums and figure if I can't find an answer here it probably doesn't exist.

I just inherited my parents Magnavox console stereo. It's a 1964-65 2ST678 with Micromatic turntable. Console is in great condition with only a few items that need fixing.

1) I can't get the reject wheel to make contact with the motor spindle. The arm on the underside of the turntable that controls the wheel doesn't want to move completely down (see attachment).

2) The turntable motor turns on when I turn the console on, not when I twist the turntable knob from Off to On. Is this normal?

3) I'm getting muted sound from the speakers even with full volume. Wiring appears to be correct based on the wiring diagram inside the unit.

Hoping someone is able to provide some direction!

Attachments

• Model tag.jpg
    Model tag.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Magnavox (1).jpg
    Magnavox (1).jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Reject wheel.jpg
    Reject wheel.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 45
  • Magnavox (2).jpg
    Magnavox (2).jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 80
The turntable is probably gummed up. There's a thread about Micromatics here. Let me try to find it for you.
Well, I can't find the damn thing now! I'll post it if I can find it.

Last edited:
The turntable is probably gummed up. There's a thread about Micromatics here. Let me try to find it for you.
Well, I can't find the damn thing now! I'll post it if I can find it.

The turntable itself rotates smoothly. I read Larry's Micromatic teardown post which was great, but it didn't specifically address the issues I'm experiencing.

Welcome MarcoFantone to AK!

That's great your parents have passed down the family console. :thmbsp:

And you have one of the fine early Magnavox Astro-Sonic consoles made up to 1966. And much of it save for the changer was actually made within 1.5 hours drive of my home in Athens. Great sounding in nice order. The fine MicroMatic Imperial changer was made by Collaro in Barking, England. You have the best version of the MicroMatic changer before the beginnings of cost cutting in 1966. Welcome to AudioKarma. You are among friends. Enjoy your stay.

I've found that almost every question regarding these micromatics can be answered by this: clean and re-lube! Well, except for your sound issue, which might just require a new needle.

1) Breakdown and clean. Very time consuming - take lots of pictures to help you reassemble. Getting/having manuals will help.

2) Not normal. Not based on my experience with a Motorola console with Voice of Music turntable(s). With the Motorola, the console is "off", turning the TT "on" engages power to the TT and amp. Also, from the off position, I can choose another source (FM/AM/TAPE) which engages power to the amp, but not the TT. So, if you turn the console on to "FM", for example - there should be no power to the TT motor yet. On the Motorola I have, this is controlled by the power coupling which acts as a switch for the amp power. If your Magnavox is similar, perhaps there is some problem in that power coupling (assuming you have one - maybe a square molex-style plug?).

3) I can't really comment about the muted sound. Does this happen with FM as well as the Turntable? I'd start by trying to figure out if it's a TT issue, or something that is affecting the whole system.

Good luck!
I'm still picking at my Motorola console - just got a replacement TT installed and working myself! My console had the original TT tossed out before I inherited it.

Enjoy it.

I've found that almost every question regarding these micromatics can be answered by this: clean and re-lube! Well, except for your sound issue, which might just require a new needle.

My bad for not clarifying the sound issue. I'm experiencing the same muted sound problem with the stereo, not just the turntable so while the needle may be questionable (haven't even gotten that far yet!) I'm sure it's something else. I'm just able to hear a radio station with the sound on full and the treble on full.

My bad for not clarifying the sound issue. I'm experiencing the same muted sound problem with the stereo, not just the turntable so while the needle may be questionable (haven't even gotten that far yet!) I'm sure it's something else. I'm just able to hear a radio station with the sound on full and the treble on full.

The muted sound may be the result of dirty and oxidized switches and/or controls.

I've found with many of the older consoles that the pots don't work very well, even after cleaning. With a Motorola and Magnavox I had, treble was either full on, or it dropped off to nothing as soon as I started dialing the knob back.

Check to see if the radio power is wired in series with the turntable motor, maybe someone did some rewiring and got it wrong. Low voltage causing low output? It's a stretch, but you never know.

More than likely old electrolytic caps that need replacing is the cause for the weak and muted sound.

I've seen a few posts so far that have mentioned the electrolytic caps and I'm willing to install new ones but there are two problems. I have no idea what they are or what they look like! I'd also need a reputable source to buy them from along with any capacity specs, etc...

Appreciate the suggestions, just need a bit more info. Thanks!!!

Try rotating the selector switch several times. By selector switch I mean the AM FM Phono switch. It could be oxidized and rotating the switch several times could clean the oxidation off. Try any other switches that could effect the sound. Before changing out the capacitors, use contact cleaner on all switches. Be sure to let the contact cleaner dry before turning the receiver back on. Contact cleaner is highly flammable. I recently changed out the main filter capacitor on a Ford Philco late sixties receiver, but it worked well before I did that. The bad filter cap caused a lot of hum.

Deoxit is a wonderful contact cleaner.

Try rotating the selector switch several times. By selector switch I mean the AM FM Phono switch. It could be oxidized and rotating the switch several times could clean the oxidation off. Try any other switches that could effect the sound. Before changing out the capacitors, use contact cleaner on all switches. Be sure to let the contact cleaner dry before turning the receiver back on. Contact cleaner is highly flammable. I recently changed out the main filter capacitor on a Ford Philco late sixties receiver, but it worked well before I did that. The bad filter cap caused a lot of hum.

Deoxit is a wonderful contact cleaner.

Used DeOxit on pretty much anything that rotates or switches and really didn't notice a difference. I never had any crackling sound when turning the knobs so I'm thinking that any oxidation issues were minimal to begin with. I'm really beginning to think it's the capacitors.

Back
Top Bottom