My First Thrift Store Vinyl Purchase

Glad you enjoyed it, I would have left that behind and snagged all the classical records you left behind. That is one good thing about classical music you don't have to worry about all those long hair beatniks buying it up!:D

That is true of the big band records around here. My wife keeps bring me handfuls of big band that the SA has marked down to .50. A bunch of it sounds like it has never been played. Some pretty cool stuff too, like Glenn Miller 2nd pressing. 5 album set with a book included marked down to 50 cents.

OP welcome and a nice score.

Glad you enjoyed it, I would have left that behind and snagged all the classical records you left behind. That is one good thing about classical music you don't have to worry about all those long hair beatniks buying it up!:D

Except for me. I often wonder what the clerks think. :smoke:

First, I buy the classical for the music. I look for certain performers. I also will buy every Columbia Six Eye and RCA Shaded Dog I find.

Having said that, there are some very collectible and valuable classical records out there. The problem is knowing which ones they are.

I brought home a Shaded Dog not long ago that cost me a nickel. Turns out that it regularly sells for $75.00 in the condition mine is in.

That's another thing about classical. They were usually pampered by their owners and played with good equipment. I rarely see a beat up classical record, most are NM.

From Wikipedia: "In 1969, Rolling Stone editor Jann Wenner credited Cream with being the first supergroup"

Yeah, that's what I meant about minutia. Weiner s the same guy who is keeping Warren Zevon out of the R&RHOF, so I don't really care who credits him for coining whatever term.

I bought that album new way back then. Mainly saw the names, figured it would be a good one. Didn't pan out, probably played it two or three times. More of a historical piece these days I guess. Might be a rare catch though.

Finding a nice copy of "Super Session" at a thrift for a buck and change is exceedingly good karma.

Keep up the hunt!

To the op. If I was starting out again, I would have a paint pad, wash under the water faucet,get a spray bottle of distilled water for a rinse and let dry. If your water is soft you might not need the distilled rinse. The labels are not hurt by a little water, just dry any overspray.

To the op. If I was starting out again, I would have a paint pad, wash under the water faucet,get a spray bottle of distilled water for a rinse and let dry. If your water is soft you might not need the distilled rinse. The labels are not hurt by a little water, just dry any overspray.

Thanks. I was wondering about the labels.

A $6 pickup at the flea market yesterday. Nothing special, but some staples I wanted.

10615341_10204836716855094_8482144054420563717_n.jpg

Thanks. I was wondering about the labels.

Depends on the label. 80% or more will be fine. That other 20% or less may be an issue. I use a label protector from eBay, and it is well worth the small cost IMHO. Plus, it gives you a nice handle to grab while you wash your record.

I've been to the 3 thrift stores within 4 miles of my house the last 5 out of 7 days. Nada!! How long does it take to score? LOL

I'm having better luck asking friends if they have TTs or albums in their closets or basements that are collecting dust. I have a few TTs lined up to check out this week. A Pioneer, Technics and an unknown.

It is time consuming. If I were going to do it over again and I could save up the money, it would ultimately be cheaper and less time consuming to buy really good restored gear right from the start.

Now, well I have all my savings invested in audio equipment that I have to sell.

It is time consuming. If I were going to do it over again and I could save up the money, it would ultimately be cheaper and less time consuming to buy really good restored gear right from the start.

But maybe not as fun?

See my "Finally Scored" thread.

Back
Top Bottom