Phase Research Speakers

94ranger55

hello fellow akers

MY boss just gave me a very large pair of phase reasearch book shelves speakers. He told me when he bought them in the late 70s at that time they were on par with bose/infinty ???? Cant find much info but the speakers look told be in soild shape but I beilve they need to re-fomed ??? any recomendations/info would be great thanks

I bought a pair of Phase Reaserch 7T tower speakers from the Salvation Army last week. They are excellent speakers! They play very well with my smaller speakers and compliment them very well. They seem very well made but like you finding any info on them is pretty difficult. I think they're definetly better than Bose ;)

Well I guesse PHASE REASEARCH was'nt that well know ...I figured that from all the members on AK there would be some more info ? All I can is these speakers are built like a tank weighs a ton! They need a re-foaming opperation any suggestions thanks !

From what I have heard they support their products very well. I would shoot them an email and see what they say. All their products are made in house so they repair everything they made.

will try to get pics on tmmrw the speakers were purchased in new hampshire in aprox 78-80 ... On the back of the boxx there is a dallas texas address but does not say made in dallas ?!? dimensions are roughly 30 inches high by 14 wide and 16 deep possibily a little larger dont have them infront of me now

Looking to see what Phase Research info I might find and found this thread. For anyone else that may happen here in the future, Phase Research was the company of Phillip Clements. The company was out of Texas and specialized in transmission line designs. I am only familiar with three models; the RT, R, and Little D. These were manufactured in the late '70s and many times I went to Sound Associates (a dealer in Findlay and Toledo, Ohio) to check them out.

When one remembers what Infinity and Bose (ok, maybe not as much Bose) were producing around '76, it's easy to see Phase Research placed in similar company. They used a custom 8" driver and bass response was unusually clean and low. Hope you're both enjoying them still, and it's worth having the woofers re-foamed as they are rare. A Phase Research speaker in any form is rare!

I also have made the occasional error of referring to them as "Phase Tech" speakers as the OP in the comment above has done, but that is a completely different company who mainly used flat-cone bass drivers.

Last edited:
I actually have a pair i've been meaning to restore. here are pics. Still have original foam grills, but have to be careful with them.

IMG_7861.JPG IMG_7862.JPG IMG_7863.JPG IMG_7864.JPG IMG_7866.JPG IMG_7867.JPG

Last edited:
I still have the original color brochure from the old Phase Research company. My best friend has a set of Phase R bookshelf, and RT towers. I ended up buying 2 pairs of the Clements RT -7 speakers after Phil started the Clements speaker company. I'm getting ready to sell both pairs after 25 years

I still have the original color brochure from the old Phase Research company. My best friend has a set of Phase R bookshelf, and RT towers. I ended up buying 2 pairs of the Clements RT -7 speakers after Phil started the Clements speaker company. I'm getting ready to sell both pairs after 25 years
Got pics?

I replaced the foam wraps, updated the capacitors, resprayed the inner boxes, painted the tops and bottoms with gloss black auto paint, discarded the original angled bases as they were beyond repair and I was stacking them to make an 8 ft tall array. My second pair had both tweeters fail so I replaced them with some great sounding dome tweeters.72F824BF-0259-427F-9EC0-76380F5C01A0.jpeg B508348C-22B8-45BA-9973-D9E1988843F3.jpeg

Very unique shame more speakers don’t use this design. I’ve never heard of this brand or seeen a pair for sale so congratulations on your rare gems.

Mine after replacing foam on face.

View attachment 1323026
Just refurbished a set as well!
I replaced the drivers with the same or as close to original as I could. I know that some people on this site had mentioned these speakers before and were wondering about replacement drivers.
I replaced the Tweets with updated TWO34X10 Audax 1.3" Textile domes and the woofers with McBride Image 8's.
Checked all crossover parts. Refoamed the fronts.phaser.jpg

Just refurbished a set as well!
I replaced the drivers with the same or as close to original as I could. I know that some people on this site had mentioned these speakers before and were wondering about replacement drivers.
I replaced the Tweets with updated TWO34X10 Audax 1.3" Textile domes and the woofers with McBride Image 8's.
Checked all crossover parts. Refoamed the fronts.View attachment 1332298
Was anything wrong with the original drivers?

Back
Top Bottom