***Technics Guru***

Ryanduty

I have a Technics SL-1500 and can honestly say I love it, but I'm not IN LOVE with it for two reasons. 1: I want it in black 2: I want at least semi auto if full is not available.
If there is anyone familiar with the technics models, please point me in the dire tion of what model fits my criteria. I want to stick with Technics. I love the layout of the controls. I had an issue with the pitch control a year ago, but a little contact cleaner made it just like new. Its a rock solid TT. I definitely prefer it to any other I've had before it. I heard that models ending in "10" indicate black in color. Is this true? Is there an sl-1510? Is there an auto version of this TT?

They made the SL-D2 in black...its semi-auto and a pretty well regarded table but from my understanding its pretty rare in black.

I don't believe they started making black-finished models until after the SL-1200MK2 was introduced.

they did. I had an sl 5310 for years that I bought in a pawn shop when I was 16, the thing was they were only in europe or japan then, it wasnt untill the 1200 series in the 90's that they began the black models here.

SL-1510 is the black version of SL-1500. Likewise, any xx10 model is black while xx00 model is silver finish.

The SL-1310 is the black version of the full auto version of the 1500. SL-1410 is the black version of the semi-auto version of this table.

Then you have a suspended version (1600/1700/1800) and then you have MkII versions of these tables.

My favorite of the series is the SL-1310MkII. The looks are the best (to me) as it lacks the intruding strobo dots on the platter (has a polished steel finish) and the strobe is below the platter visible through a window and lit by leds. Pitch controls have a digital readout (%) and the infamous lift failure is now addressable as a good soul has built a replacement part available on a 3D printing site.

The SL-1300/1400/1500 have a rigid plinth and rather limited isolation. They seem to ring a bit to my ears and make low end a bit fuzzy. May be a combination with the cart that enhances that effect though.

Excellent tables - the entire range - although not up to spec with the SL1200/1210MkII. They have better isolation and a better/more versatile tonearm. The SL-1800MkII offers an identical tonearm (to the cue lever) while the semi auto and auto versions offer an identical tonearm save for the cue control that is motorized, employing a small O - ring that usually fails but is an easy fix.

I have a sample of most of these and apart from the SL-1310MkII that is my favorite (looks and full-auto) the SL-1210MkII is the better table of the lot.

I have the SL-1900 and really like it. It is full auto, BUT it is not the rock solid type as the SL-1100 through SL-1800. The plinth is plastic.

The D2 and the 1900, though quite nice, are still plastic and neither is up to the performance if the 1300/1400/1500 or 1600/1700/1600 in either the "MK1" versions or the later Mk2 versions. A caveat is in order for the MK2 1300/1400/1500s. They have a major design flaw in the cuing assembly. A critical and, until recently*, irreplaceable part always breaks on these.

SaSi is correct that there are black (actually, a very dark metallic gray) versions of these tables. They're quite beautiful. They're pretty rare in North America, though I think they're more readily available in Europe.

John

*An AKer recently commissioned having these generated via 3-D printing. It's still early days so they may succumb to the original type failure or to some other but the results so far are encouraging. A search of the AK archives should turn the information up.

This is an interesting thread, because I've never seen a breakdown of the differences between each model. There are so many of them. I wonder if there's a chart somewhere that compares them. Maybe I could make one if I had enough info.

There are also a few 'changer' tables in the mix. I have a 1950 which is the changer version of the 1900. '10' indicates 'black' and '50' indicates 'changer'.

Now if I could just find a set of changer spindles....

If you don't like the color have it painted. I had an airbrush artist at the mall paint my 1200m3d black and used decals from eBay. Looks great.

Yes, the 1310 and the 1610 are both fully auto and are exactly what you're looking for. John's info, as always, is quite handy. I have seen more of the 1610 MKI variation than the MKII, and more of either of those than the 1310, but that's just my own anecdotal experience.

I was searching for one for a while before I found one (that was working). Patience is the key. It will come up, but you have to look regularly and be willing to jump when it appears. I got hold of mine after I saw a man talking about refurbing it on Youtube. I sent him a private message and he was willing to sell. Be aggressive, because they're great tables but the word is out on them.

I too have aN SL-1500 with AT 12sa, second owner (since 1974) which suits me fine except, yes, would be nice to have semi/full auto. The SL-1600 looks identical except it's semi-auto (I think), just saw one on the Web somewhere. With all that said, I'd really like to try a 1200 sometime....

I too have aN SL-1500 with AT 12sa, second owner (since 1974) which suits me fine except, yes, would be nice to have semi/full auto. The SL-1600 looks identical except it's semi-auto (I think), just saw one on the Web somewhere. With all that said, I'd really like to try a 1200 sometime....

Full auto. The 1700 is the semi-auto version.

John

Back
Top Bottom