New Dual TT from London Drugs

luxmaster

I was in London Drugs and I noticed a person setting up a stereo display while I was waiting in line by the cashier. I looked on top of the stand and there was a new dual TT. Didnt know they were still in business. The TT's looked like they were from the 90's but they look sleek. Does anyone know how good these tables are? Are they worth the listing price?
Just weird that London drugs is selling Dual turntables. But cool that they do.

http://www.londondrugs.com/Dual-Aut...cgid=electronics-speakershomeaudio-turntables

That looks pretty similar to the "entry level" turntables that Denon and Marantz are putting out these days.

I've seen some elsewhere too & passed by them at London Drugs a few times but have not really checked them out yet. It is cool that they tout automatic turntables. Where was that thread recently in which someone was looking for a new automatic tt around $500? These should fit the bill, and while they might not be the Dual of old I don't think they are all that bad either.

Here's another vendor that has what looks like the full range: http://audioscape.ca/brands/dual/

That looks pretty similar to the "entry level" turntables that Denon and Marantz are putting out these days.
The Marantz is manufactured by the company that makes the Duals in Germany. The budget Thorens are also made in the same factory. Denon (I think) are made in China or Taiwan.

OK as budget turntables I suppose, but would guess the U turns would be better options.

Priced on demand.....wondering what the price will be if the "Beanie Baby Bubble Bursts” (BBBB for short)....snort...

Which the proper manufacturer of the Thorens budget model, Marantz, and the Dual is Dual/Fehrenbacher in Germany. Herr Fehrenbacher was the plant manager at the Dual plant in Germany. And he acquired the tooling of the last Dual model and the rights to the Dual name for turntable manufacture only. The last time Dual was imported here as Dual the asking price was too high, and they didn't sell well. Thorens version was actually less expensive as has been Marantz. At the London Drugs price, good value for the money here. And I can recommend it for that price.

Which for that price you can buy a used one, fine if you want a manual. And you can find one not abused by scratch, rap, or hip hop DJ types or abused in a nightclub. I prefer them myself. I can recommend the Dual for those who must buy brand new and want an automatic. Which the Technics is not.

I just sold a Dual CS-514 (and threw in a very nice Realistic Lab-100) for $30.

Looks like this thing has the identical tonearm.

$500? LOL.

I would have to be able to physically check one out, but there are very few folks that want a manual table, so a full auto is a great option for most. Not chump change for sure, but not out of the question. And now we are back to the 1200 and all the old tables that do not sell for this tables price. Geesh guys let's get real:drunk:

Exactly, Kermit and Kent. 40 year old $30 yard sale finds & clubbed 1200s are NOT everyone's cup of tea. Not everyone wants manual or to buy something that has to be shipped from U-Turn or Amazon either. London Drugs has Dual models as low as $350 (300 on sale right now), and is reasonably respected for their a/v department (computers too), so is a viable option here in Western Canada.

A good choice for a lot of people I reckon.

I'd suggest to avoid it. The CS440 appeared roundabout two or three years ago, iirc, to replace the CS435-1. Looks like Fehrenbacher chose to equip it with the older drive version of the first generation CS430/435 - so it might at least not have that bloody fixed platter spindle that doesn't turn with the platter anymore, but otherwise it still isn't much of a hifi turntable.

Of the current line-up I'd only recommend the 505-4 and, less so, the 455-1 (and even that only if someone insist on buying new...). All others are either not hifi enough yet or overpriced - unfortunatly also including the new CS600.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Oops, just noticed that I've forgot to mention that unlike the CS435-1 the 440 doesn't sport adjustable vtf and antiskating anymore - despite the higher model number.

Best model in that family of Dual tables was the CS503-2, btw - which didn't only sport the good, dynamically balacend ULM arm version with easily swappable headshell, the good, heavy rubber mat and the heavy platter version with lead ring, but it also was the only member of that family on which the motor was relocated from the usual, suboptimal location on the chassis to a much better position in the plinth. Hence the 503-2 is the only member of that family that is pretty much on level in performance with the more classic 5er design e.g. in form of a 505-2/-3/-4. So the 503-2 actually is the only model I'd really warmheartedly recommend to someone who'd like such a slim-line belt-driven Dual model...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

All of this latter-day leftover Dual stuff makes me appreciate my CS1268 even more. Yes, it's got that all-in-one plastic plinth and the what-were-they-thinking proprietary headshell and its poorly thought out adapter, BUT:

1. It's got that great ULM arm with its exceptional bearings.

2. It's a full automatic.

3. It's even the very last Dual changer offered, in case I have a sudden desire to stack records (not likely).

I'm glad Fehrenbacher is keeping the name alive, but hey, that tooling's got to wear out sooner or later, doesn't it?

Happy trails,
Larry B.

Back
Top Bottom