Seller's Remorse! Help! Talk Me Off the Ledge!

Ok, I'll try...

If I understand it correctly, you're getting yours back and some little profit with the sale? You're not using the Garrard at all, and while cool to look at (in my opinion, I don't even really like the looks, that monsterous changer thingie, or whatever it is on the top left corner spoils it for me!), as a record player it is dated and unless you NEED a changer or something for 78rpm (I presume it plays 78s) you can do much much better for the $300 you're getting. Personally, I wouldn't think twice but of course that's just me - obviously you're emotionally invested in that table, but maybe it's time to let go and invest that emotion elsewhere? :)

Yes, it is pleasing eye candy, but it is not being used, or even visually enjoyed. It's a nice, warm, fuzzy feeling knowing that it is on the shelf, all wrapped up nice and warm.

It's lonely. You have given it love, caressed and polished it, and tucked it in at night. Now, let it go. Release it from the nest and let it fly. You have done well and it will flourish in a new home. Someone will appreciate the time and effort that you have put into it and it will bring happiness to it's new owner. Take some pictures, box it up, be happy with the accomplishment, and send it on it's way to a fruitful new life.
Otherwise, it will continue to sit in a dark box never to be admired again.

Perhaps you can get the new owners to send you a/v clips as it grows up and plays Happy Birthday, Pomp and Circumstance, and Here Comes the Bride over the coming years :tears:
:D

Is that a wedding cake?

Actually I have two of those but not in that color. I tried to make one work and play a few records but realized that I like my records with original grooves.

Is that a wedding cake?

Actually I have two of those but not in that color. I tried to make one work and play a few records but realized that I like my records with original grooves.

In that case, I would put a dime on top of the headshell rather than a quarter :D

The Garrard A was used hard for a number of years. It spent many a happy day spinning 45s in the 60s. It saw the Beatles, Stones, Donovan, and Dylan on the first day they were released.

It is time to let it start living and spreading audible sunshine again.

Or, you can welch on the deal, and keep it on the shelf for another good while.

I agree with everyone else. Considering you never used it, and it was packed up in a box, whats the harm in selling it? Better off collecting dust in somebody else's house.

I think you made a great deal.

You sold a pretty cool TT, and got the higher end of the market prices for it.

You can definitely replace that TT with one you'll use more, for the money you made from this one.

That's a success story in my book!

Let it go .... You made a great deal and now have some money for a better table.

You might have to save up but there are better players that look amazing too.

Sell it if you're not going to use it, but honestly they aren't that bad. Its not the record grinder its made out to be. I wouldn't play my most valuable records on it, but 98% of my collection is flea market finds. I play stuff on my record changers and don't think twice about it. I own a Type A-II as well, and have no qualms about running it.

If you want something to use on it that it won't hurt, pick up some 78's and the proper nail for the Shure cartridge. That will be more gentle to a 78 than most any of the 78 rpm players were when that format was current.

I do totally understand the factor of having more stuff than you can use though. I'm in that boat. Nobody needs 8 record players, but thats what I've got.

The one thing I learned in this hobby, there's always something better around the corner. There's always another good deal. You might have to wait, but right now, there's no shortage of well-priced good pieces out there.

Although it looks cool, it is a 'toy' table. It looks very similar to the one I had as a kid in the 70's but truth be told, so didn't many other brands. Awesome? Yep. Worth Keeping? Unless you want it as a display piece there isn't a lot of reasons to keep it. You just made $300 towards something better.

I had missed the sale price. I'd let mine go without blinking for 3 bills. Its not $300 worth of good. I've got less than that into my Thorens, and thats a fair bit better than a Type A. Also, considering I was given the Type A, and a Lab 80 thats better than a Type A, along with a couple others for free or nearly so it wouldn't bother me. I figure somewhere, sometime, there will be another free/cheap one that I can spend a couple hours on to make it go again.

Back
Top Bottom