My First Thrift Store Vinyl Purchase

Killer Fox

So I made my first thrift store trip this morning in search of some albums (and TT if they had anything nice). It was all gospel and classical stuff except one lonely rock/blues album in the middle of all of it. I left with one album for $1.05 after tax. The vinyl is in very nice condition (sorry don't know ratings yet).

I had never heard of this one. I was 3 when it came out in 1968.

Bloomfield, Kooper, ("Steve") Stills Super Sessions. A very interesting record. I see Dylan has a track on it as well. Is this the first ever "super group"?

20141024_095618_resized.jpg

"The Inner Sleeve" is really cool too.

dy8AZuWuUWlZFFdtf8bICW07qOjPdbAcQ_wD-9QiHfE=w681-h577-no

Considering it's your first visit "CONGRATULATIONS!" It’s going to be a hit and miss. I bought whatever was there so that I didn’t come home empty handed at first. I’ve learned to tapered off a bit now.

Considering it's your first visit "CONGRATULATIONS!" It’s going to be a hit and miss. I bought whatever was there so that I didn’t come home empty handed at first. I’ve learned to tapered off a bit now.

Well, I figure I can't go wrong for a buck if it's music I will actually listen to. And after listening to the samples on Amazon, this is a winner.

Check it out for yourself http://www.amazon.com/Super-Session-Bloomfield/dp/B00008QSA5

Yepper. I tend to look at 2 things when I'm there, condition of record and jacket. If one is a keeper I buy and wait for the other to pair a good combo.

Save yourself from culling later. Only bring home VG+ or better stuff. The key to having the big "scores" that you hear about is going to the thrift often, as much as you can in fact. Luckily the thrift I go to most is usually a treasure chest when it comes to vinyl. I have had so many great finds, I have had enough for 2 lifetimes, but I still go, I'm greedy.

Save yourself from culling later. Only bring home VG+ or better stuff. The key to having the big "scores" that you hear about is going to the thrift often, as much as you can in fact. Luckily the thrift I go to most is usually a treasure chest when it comes to vinyl. I have had so many great finds, I have had enough for 2 lifetimes, but I still go, I'm greedy.

I know what you mean. I'm trying, trust me. I stopped at a couple other places
and passed on a bunch of stuff. I did buy a few from a local reseller for $2-3 each. They are one I had a as teen and wanted replace. I would be fine with multiple copies of those.

This one is very listenable both condition and music wise. If I find another copy with a pristine cover I can swap them out.

Cream was earlier, as well as lots of other bands but then we start getting into minutia.

From Wikipedia: "In 1969, Rolling Stone editor Jann Wenner credited Cream with being the first supergroup"

But yea, I know Cream started in '66. I guess the term wasn't coined until '69?

Good start! Rock albums have pretty much dried up at the GW. I'm branching out to other thrifts.

If you continue to buy thrift/garage sale, you'll need some way to clean them if you don't already have it. Sink cleaning with a paint pad and Dawn is a starting point and better than nothing. A step up from that would be a Spin Clean, followed by Nitty Gritty.

A vacuum RCM is very effective and what I use. The VPI is the most popular, but at $600 + a big investment unless you have hundreds or thousands of records. Check the DIY RCM sticky. Excellent RCM's can be built for $100-$150 (even using the VPI wand, the main business end of the RCM), if you are handy.

Keep looking! Don't be afraid to be adventurous, I've found some great music that way.

Good start! Rock albums have pretty much dried up at the GW. I'm branching out to other thrifts.

If you continue to buy thrift/garage sale, you'll need some way to clean them if you don't already have it. Sink cleaning with a paint pad and Dawn is a starting point and better than nothing. A step up from that would be a Spin Clean, followed by Nitty Gritty.

A vacuum RCM is very effective and what I use. The VPI is the most popular, but at $600 + a big investment unless you have hundreds or thousands of records. Check the DIY RCM sticky. Excellent RCM's can be built for $100-$150 (even using the VPI wand, the main business end of the RCM), if you are handy.

Keep looking! Don't be afraid to be adventurous, I've found some great music that way.

Thank you! This is something I was thinking about. What do you mean by "paint pad"?

I was also reading up on the wood glue method which I find fascinating.

Paint Pad

Thank you! This is something I was thinking about. What do you mean by "paint pad"?

I was also reading up on the wood glue method which I find fascinating.
Go to your local hardware store and you'll find a 3x4 Shurline Paint edger:

http://www.amazon.com/Shur-Line-500...414164633&sr=8-4&keywords=shur+line+paint+pad

I have never tried the wood glue method. From what I read, it's expensive, messy and time consuming. I recently brought 70 records home from a crate digging junket. I don't have the time to wood glue, when my RCM takes about a minute a record.

I knew my local Goodwill wasn't going to be a good source when I walked in and saw a 50s something long haired rocker dude working there. Hopefully he gets a new job soon LOL.

So I made my first thrift store trip this morning in search of some albums (and TT if they had anything nice). It was all gospel and classical stuff except one lonely rock/blues album in the middle of all of it. I left with one album for $1.05 after tax. The vinyl is in very nice condition (sorry don't know ratings yet).

I had never heard of this one. I was 3 when it came out in 1968.

Bloomfield, Kooper, ("Steve") Stills Super Sessions. A very interesting record. I see Dylan has a track on it as well. Is this the first ever "super group"?

20141024_095618_resized.jpg

"The Inner Sleeve" is really cool too.

dy8AZuWuUWlZFFdtf8bICW07qOjPdbAcQ_wD-9QiHfE=w681-h577-no

Good find. That is a cool record to have.

Dylan Connection - Both Bloomfield and Kooper play on Highway 61 Revisited.

Super Group - No such thing really but when a bunch of big name musicians got together somehow that term came about. As mentioned, Cream got that label and then it was passed around by media and folklore.

Bloomfield - Great blues guitarist but at this point in his career he became so strung out he coud not finish the sessions. An always game Stephen Stills was brought in to complete the LP.

Connect the dots records - Kooper started the original Blood Sweat and Tears. Check out their first LP, "Child is Father to the Man". Bloomfiield played in the Butterfield Blues band. Check out any of their first few records. Stills endeavors are well documented but check out the first Manasas LP, it is excellent.

Cheers, Bob

Cheers.

I knew my local Goodwill wasn't going to be a good source when I walked in and saw a 50s something long haired rocker dude working there. Hopefully he gets a new job soon LOL.

Most of ths forum is comprised of 50 to 60 something rockers.

I wish I had long hair, no wait, I wish I had more hair.

Good find. That is a cool record to have.

Dylan Connection - Both Bloomfield and Kooper play on Highway 61 Revisited.

Super Group - No such thing really but when a bunch of big name musicians got together somehow that term came about. As mentioned, Cream got that label and then it was passed around by media and folklore.

Bloomfield - Great blues guitarist but at this point in his career he became so strung out he coud not finish the sessions. An always game Stephen Stills was brought in to complete the LP.

Connect the dots records - Kooper started the original Blood Sweat and Tears. Check out their first LP, "Child is Father to the Man". Bloomfiield played in the Butterfield Blues band. Check out any of their first few records. Stills endeavors are well documented but check out the first Manasas LP, it is excellent.

Cheers, Bob

Cheers.

Yea, there is a story about the whole deal on the back of the album. That was what prompted be to buy it.

This is part of the fun, expanding my scope of music. I'm just surprised I haven't seen/noticed this before at almost 50 years old.

Back
Top Bottom