Upgrade from vintage?

crn3371

I recently inherited a bunch of 78's that I'd love to listen to. Debating on whether to get something cheap for the 78's (at-lp1240 usb), or use this as an excuse to upgrade. I know ProJect will do 78's with pulley upgrade, and some Thorens play 78's. Budget is around $1000-$1500. My current rig is a JVC QL50 table with Infinity Black Widow arm and Micro Acoustics 630 cartridge. How does this stack up to modern gear? Should I just keep it and go for a cheap player for the 78's?

Think about classic idlers (Rek-O-Kut, etc) or maybe a Fairchild 750... oh, the latter won't likely be in your budget, though.

I am slowly working this one up (thanks to good ol' Redboy!) for three-speed use...

R-O-K noflash by mhardy6647, on Flickr

Last edited:
You can get a dual 1019 or 1219 in very good condition for 2 to 3 hundred. These will do a very good job with 78's as well as regular lp's for a different flavor from what you have.

Yes, but the Dual automatic return is too jerky and violent. Broadcast manual turntables are best for 78 RPM. Manual play best. And also remember, many a 78 requires heavier tracking forces than most LP centric arms will allow.

I'd hold on to your current JVC QL-50 and get a budget priced table to sample the 78 records. After listening to a few 78s you may or may not be all that excited with the music style. If it turns out the music interests you I'd recommend a Technics SP-15 that plays, 33/45/78 and the pitch is adjustable.

A lot of old record changers do decent 78 duty. Mine is a Garrard RC88/4 with a GE VR-II cartridge. Nothing fancy, but it does fine. The side pusher is also not completely intolerable if you want to stack them.

I have a Lenco B50 project in the works that will be a better machine, but its not real high up on my priority list. One advantage to the Lenco is that its got variable speed. A lot of 78's aren't quite dead on 78 rpm, and not everything gives you that sort of control. One of those earlier machines without the famed heavy platter can probably be had reasonable. I got mine for $5, but its a project. In runnable shape you can probably find one for a couple hundred.

You need a second table or at least interchangeable headshell so that you can use a stylus made for 78's. The grooves are wider than LP's and the LP sylus will not work well and could damage the 78's.

Those 78s are worthy of a quality table. You'll get hooked once you hear them played properly.

Yes, but the Dual automatic return is too jerky and violent.

Would you care to elaborate what you mean by this, just curious? I've heard the 1019 can be rough on itself with 78rpm, but that the issue wouldn't exist on a 1219 - I never player mine on 78rpm so I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom