Tonearm Question

1ADSarge

Der Bürgermeister
Subscriber
I just got my Grado Reference Master back from Soundsmith. I have a JVC QL-Y66F turntable and have the straight and s-curve tonearms for it. Would you recommend me using the straight or s-curve tonearm with this cart? Thanks for any suggestions!

Cheers,
Jared

I'd start with whichever of the armwands has the lowest effective mass (highest compliance). That's probably the straight armwand.

I have a Sonata1 mounted on a medium mass S type arm. I went so far as to get a copy of one of Shure's test records that checks out the resonance of the tonearm/cartridge combination to verify it was a good combo. The combination is good and my Sonata1 sounds realy good in the setup.

I have a Sonata1 mounted on a medium mass S type arm. I went so far as to get a copy of one of Shure's test records that checks out the resonance of the tonearm/cartridge combination to verify it was a good combo. The combination is good and my Sonata1 sounds realy good in the setup.

Thanks for your input. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

You're in the envy-able position of having a turntable with adjustable Q damping, so if the Grado is medium compliance you should be able to dial in the cart with either armwand. My rule of thumb is:
above 15 compliance, use straight armwand
below 15 compliance, use S-armwand with stock headshell

Thanks for the info and input everyone. Just installed it on the s-curve arm and been listening for about an hour. Didn't really hear a different in sound. Looks was all that really changed. Guess I'll leave it on the current arm for now.

6enejy5e.jpg

Back
Top Bottom