ReCapping the NS-1000M.

For what it's worth, I had an interesting phone conversation with a guy who sells a lot of NS1000 (and other) components on the 'bay. He is a hobbiest servicer and modifier of various audiophile gear and has, among other things, a 7:1 room set up with dual NS1000's in every position*. I will respect his privacy here as regards identifying him.

I had contacted him about buying a pair of used xovers so I could recap while leaving my originals (with serial #'s) intact. He asked me to call him, and said that in his experience these xover's don't drift/age enough over time to be worth the trouble of a recap. He suggested using a ($100) meter to check the caps if in doubt but was in no way a fan of recapping for reasons of psychological security.

He did suggest it might be worthwhile to experiment with strapping mylar 2-mic caps in parallel with the extant units, and if very particular, paralleling poly film .1-mic caps to them, on the grounds that these caps have better audio characteristics.

I don't have enough tech knowledge to comment on the wisdom of that path, but his point about recapping seemed a good one to me.

*save the LFE, I'd assume.

Last edited:
He asked me to call him, and said that in his experience these xover's don't drift/age enough over time to be worth the trouble of a recap.

I'm with your friend on that. I took the X'overs out and brought them into work and measured the L's and C's on a Digitech impedance bridge. I have the result logged somewhere. I measured them at 3 different frequencies and all caps were within 1% of stated value. The L's were very close too. With so many places to spend money I'd rather spend it elsewhere ... :D

My caps were fine for ESR, but the capacitance values were 10-20% high on all but the 2.7uF tweeter cap.

My reason for changing them had less to do with their current state and more to do with:

1. The reality that they're already 35 years old and it's only downhill from here; and
2. The reality that good audiophile caps made today sound better than anything made 35 years ago.

So, why not improve the sound even a little with plastic capacitors that will never age?

I think that until I break something I will leave my Yamaha spkrs as they are. I am not sure I will be able to hear that much of a diffrence for all the time and money spent.

I have a different solution:

1. Buy 10 or 15 sets of NS-1000 series speakers.
2. Pull the beryllium drivers and mount them in series-parallel as line arrays in custom-cut compressed-wood "wings". Keep them in horizontally-matched pairs, and mount them with the most accurate drivers in the center. (Alternatively, buy 50 or more speaker sets and use only the most closely-matched pairs.)
3. Put the woofers in line arrays like the woofer towers for the old Infinity speakers (Optional: replace them with Watkins woofer towers.)
4. Rebuild a crossover using the finest caps you can afford, measured for <1% tolerance.
5. Put the leftover cabinets into storage, in case you ever want to reverse the process.
Note: Obviously you may not use the same number of drivers for the columns; if you have enough tweeters, you'll have extra mids and woofers left over.
6. Place the resulting speakers in an appropriately fine-tuned listening room.
7. Sit back and enjoy some of the finest sound on the planet.

This is what I plan to do. It will go in the listening room right next to the one with the Heil AMT line-array systems. That will be next to the "Grand" listening room featuring the IRS Vs.

Yep! I'm going to do this. Just as soon as I win the huge Powerball Lottery... :D

Back
Top Bottom