Yamaha YP-701 Auto Return problem

ebonysw45

Hello All,

I've just picked up a Yamaha YP-701 and am having a slight problem with the auto return. The auto return drags the tone arm/stylus across the record. I was told that it is using an audio technica cartridge and stylus and that the stylus pressure is 2.5.

The only thing that I know is not working is the auto cue. The player had been serviced and lubed recently.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 701a.jpg
    701a.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 701b.jpg
    701b.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 10
I managed to find the service manual for the 701 and I think I've found the problem if not the solution.

I removed the bottom of the turntable to get a better look at what was going on. I found that when the table is on its side the lift lever actually engages the arm lifter (marked in red yp3 and white yp4) but this will not work when it is horizontal. If I push in the base plate held in by the nuts marked in red (yp4).) hey presto the lift will work when horizontal

Now those nuts are connected to the mounts on top of the table as seen in yp5 marked in green (they also have springs in them). Now I assume that the plate is supposed to float?

So the question is, how do I fix the problem?

Thanks

Attachments

• yp3.jpg
    yp3.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 29
  • yp4.jpg
    yp4.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 26
  • yp5.jpg
    yp5.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 27
I fixed the problem and thought I would post the solution in case anyone else has the same issue. In transit it appears as though the mounts for the sub platter became a little loose I removed the nuts and stretched all 4 of the springs and re-mounted. It now will auto cue properly.

cheers
Tony

Back
Top Bottom