ReCapping the NS-1000M.

belgianbrain

Just purchased a pair of NS-1000Ms in mint condition - owned by the original owners for ~35 years. Pics will follow as soon as possible, but a family member snagged them for me and I've a bit of a road trip to do now. :D

What do people think for refreshing the CAPS on these things?

Any recommendations? Price is not a huge barrier - I don't mind spending $500.

I will own these for the rest of my natural life. :)

I'm interested too. I did hear of a guy in Germany that had deviated/improved the original xover design, but never saw the resulting specs.

Regards

Avionic, do you have any faith in this crossover redesign? I hear that once you mess with the crossover design, you're opening a real can of worms.

More importantly, Avionic, what have you done to YOUR NS-1000s?? :D

I have 2 pairs and to my ears they sound fantastic with the stock x'overs. Yamaha used some quality components in the NS-1000's. That's not to say that they can't be improved on but IMHO you'd be spending big $$$ for a perhaps little improvement.

I would replace the electrolytic capacitor which is in series with the tweeter with a Mundorf silver-oil film cap or similar.

Avionic, do you have any faith in this crossover redesign? I hear that once you mess with the crossover design, you're opening a real can of worms.

My 4 NS-1000's are all still OEM.

Last edited:

Nope..A little low on pocket change..My philosophy on my 1000's . If they aint broke,don't fix'm..

Is it possible that this could take out a tweeter?

Regards
Pete
No, not at all. I have read several comments that this would increase high range sound quality. Not a very expensive tweak and not much effort, too.
Keep in mind that the NS-1000' tweeter cap is an electrolytic cap while in the NS-2000 it's a film cap.
Some time ago I replaced a cheap chinese film coupling cap in a phono preamp with a Clarity Cap and the result was totally convincing.

As long as you replace it with the same value, all it can do is improve the sound.

In fact, a worn out and drifting old capacitor has more chance of taking out a tweeter...

Are all the caps in the ns1000's electrolytic caps?

Has anyone done the TG crossover upgrade but with some less expensive caps?

I wonder how much of the "improvement" with the TG crossover is due simply to new capacitors.

Some of the 1000M caps are electrolytic, some are paper in oil.

Avionic, maybe you should sell one of those 1000M sets to buy parts for the other three.

Don't hoard. :D

I wonder how much of the "improvement" with the TG crossover is due simply to new capacitors.

Some of the 1000M caps are electrolytic, some are paper in oil.

Avionic, maybe you should sell one of those 1000M sets to buy parts for the other three.

Don't hoard. :D

Not likely to happen in this lifetime...

Avionic, so you own both the 1000 and the 690?

This question has been asked many times, but I don't recall reading many informed opinions on the matter: How much better is the 1000?

Back
Top Bottom