My first Yamaha a nice CR1020

Delta Steve

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I saw my first one in 1978 and thought man I wish I could buy one.
Well it only took about 34 years. :thmbsp:
www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=394982&stc=1&d=1355103596[/url]

Attachments

• yam.jpg
    yam.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 83
Congrats on finally getting one! The 1020 was my first vintage Yamaha purchase too... then another, then a CR-1000... let's just say I caught the bug - bad. I have a few...

Enjoy it! What speakers are you using or plan to use? I've heard good things about Polk monitors with Yamaha CR equipment, but haven't managed to snare a pair for myself yet.

BTW... to embed the picture in your post...

Congrats on finally getting one! The 1020 was my first vintage Yamaha purchase too... then another, then a CR-1000... let's just say I caught the bug - bad. I have a few...

Enjoy it! What speakers are you using or plan to use? I've heard good things about Polk monitors with Yamaha CR equipment, but haven't managed to snare a pair for myself yet.

BTW... to embed the picture in your post...

I am going to use my good ole Advents of about the same vintage.

I believe merrylander ran a pair of stacked advents on one of his bigger Yammies... not sure which, but good choice too I'm sure!

On a side note, is Merrylander still around? Don't believe I've seen him post for awhile. He's an invaluable asset to this board.

I like the idea of having real wood veneer on the model above my beloved CR-820. And more power, and the watt meter- cool.

Should I be hesitant to pick up one one of these should it present itself? Are the service mods I've read about here for this unit (and the CR-2020) enough for me to proceed with some hope of having a dependable receiver? These seem a little scarier than the smaller models.

Thanks,
Steve

I like the idea of having real wood veneer on the model above my beloved CR-820. And more power, and the watt meter- cool.

Should I be hesitant to pick up one one of these should it present itself? Are the service mods I've read about here for this unit (and the CR-2020) enough for me to proceed with some hope of having a dependable receiver? These seem a little scarier than the smaller models.

Thanks,
Steve

No hesitation! But yes, they are a little more complicated to work on... stacked boards etc. Service bulletins are technically only for the 2020, but it isn't going to hurt the 1020 to apply them to it as well.

Somehow I've managed to acquire 5 of them :confused: - 3 work, 2 don't. And a 2020.
Eventually they'll all get re-capped and tuned up... I'll just keep one for myself.

I have an 820 that I got for dirt cheap and love it! And a 1020 that I got for even more dirt cheap that needs work...the 1020 is definitely alot harder to work on, it requires more, taking apart :(

Peace Out, from tapatalk

My receiver arrived yesterday in monster size box.
It was so well packed it would have survived an air drop from a C130.
I brought it in unpacked it and let it sit for a few hours to let it get acclimated.
I had to find something to hold it till I build a new stereo rack cause I knew there was no way it would fit in my old one. My grandmothers old TV cart fit it like it was made for it. I hooked it up turned it on and it works flawlessly.
I will give it a Deoxit treatment after Christmas. Is there anything I should check for when I have it apart?
attachment.php

Attachments

• P1010141.jpg
    P1010141.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 164
Nice looking receiver... I would suggest not using De-Oxit unless in actually is needed, you don't want to wash out any of the grease from the pots.

I have one, in working condition, but in need of some refreshment. I am awaiting funds. Congratulations on yours!

I went and bought the CR-1020 I was thinking going to see. The "channel out" got fixed just working some switches when I got it home, so I really lucked out.

Sounds really nice. Looks-wise, I hadn't seen one in person and I really liked the feel of it the second I saw it. Like my CR-820, only more so! Walnut veneer, more gadgets... Gonna change out the fusitors and recommended resistors real soon. Some lamps are out.

Steve

I just got a CR-1020. Rescued it from a part-out.
Had to rebuild the power supply.
About 4 hours of work after I got all the parts.
NOT for the faint of heart.
Worth it though.

Its suggested that you replace the 10 ohm and 22 ohm varistors on the PS board (the upright one, behind and under the top one). AND, as long as you're in there, replace all the smaller caps (the big ones would be a pain to find). AND, as long as you took the top board out, may as well recap that. There are a LOT of caps there though.

I went ahead and replaced all the main supply transistors on the top board...since I was in there.

I'm going to play with it a while and maybe go back and recap the main amp boards. I might eyeball the phono stage too....

Congrats and good call on the power board. The last two I bought died within a week due to the fusistors. Enjoy mines been a champ with these simple updates.

I've got a CR-1020 as well. I love it! It's the center point of my main system and drives a P-2200 amp (which drives my Marantz Imperial 7's) and directly drives my Electro-Voice Cristal's and a pair if Jensen TF3's.

I've gotten the Yamaha bug since buying the CR-1020 (ask 4SeatPilot!). Matter of fact - I'm picking up a CR-640 on the way home from work today!

I've gotten the Yamaha bug since buying the CR-1020 (ask 4SeatPilot!). Matter of fact - I'm picking up a CR-640 on the way home from work today!

I had the Yamaha bug before I met 4seat....he just made it worse :yikes:...Now I'm scratchin' all over from that bug..So I decided to give him the Rotel bug.....:lmao::lmao:

I am going to use my good ole Advents of about the same vintage.

I'm about to take possession of a CR-800 and I have a pair of OLA's in the living room on custom stands (that I love). Just yesterday I stuffed the cabs with a few pounds of R-6 insulation and swapped out the 8 and 16 μF caps with Dayton poly film caps--big improvement! Next will be the inductors and woofer gaskets (and bigger wood screws). The deteriorated woofer foam surrounds were replaced months ago.

Anyway, they sound great with my ST-70, and now I'm hoping the Yamaha will slide in and do a good job in its own way. I was disappointed with a CR-620 I owned about five years ago, but from what I've read, the '800 should be a better receiver.

Back
Top Bottom