Best Yamaha separates?

belgianbrain

I'm now looking to wade into the separates territory.

Would like to keep it under $500 for an AMP/PREAMP and maybe a couple hundred more to recap/refurbish.

Where's the thunder in this price range?

M80?

Also would prefer a preamp with remote control, so maybe I'm looking at a newer preamp? Suggestions?

Would consider springing for a A-S1000 if I thought the sound quality could hold its own against the older separates, but I suspect not? Only 90W...

Last edited:
Under $500 for pre/amp is going to be tough, nearly impossible with a remote.

However, best bang for the buck for anyone starting a Yamaha separates fetish is C-4/M-4 combo.

Let the "ditto's" begin.

M-4? Nah. I'll up my budget if I have to.

I want something noticeably better than my CA-2010 or my A-700.

What about an M60/65? Much difference from an M80? Keep in mind I never listen above 10-20 Watts in my house - I just want the best possible sound quality.

Suggestions for preamp with remote control?

Now that my NS-1000Ms are planted in my living room, I'm searching for my next project. :)

Last edited:
I'm sure someone will mention the B2...

There. I did! Never heard one, but have heard good things about it!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, I'd rather avoid the nearly 40 year old units with irreplaceable VFETS. :)

I actually love the sound of my A-700 with class A and ZDR, which is why the M85/80/65/60 series is looking interesting.

Can someone who owns a B2 confirm that?

If anyone will actually tell me they've heard a B-2 vs an M80, etc., and the B-2 was clearly the winner, then I'll consider it. :)

I've actually seen a lot of B2s listed lately.

Well I don't have a M80 and I've never heard one. But I do have a PC4002 and a B2 and NS1000ms. The B2 is sweeter and is permanently paired with the NS1000ms. The PC4002 keeps my Infinity RSIIs singing. My MC240 sounded good on the NS1000ms also, but not like the B2. B2 CLEARLY the winner.

Kim

want something noticeably better than my CA-2010 or my A-700.

M-4/C-4-- $500 would be close..
M-2/C-4,C-2a,C-2x $ 500 apiece..if your lucky.

Some of the CX-xxx pre-amps have remotes..

M-4/C-4-- $500 would be close..
M-2/C-4,C-2a,C-2x $ 500 apiece..if your lucky.

Some of the CX-xxx pre-amps have remotes..

Sounds like Brutal and Avionic are really into the M4/M2 line.

Their opinion does carry some weight around here...

You guys think these sound better than an M80 or M60?

Internal photos of the M4 make me feel like it looks kind of "light weight" inside. Much difference in sound between an M4 and an M2 at lower volumes?

Can someone who owns a B2 confirm that?

If anyone will actually tell me they've heard a B-2 vs an M80, etc., and the B-2 was clearly the winner, then I'll consider it. :)

I've actually seen a lot of B2s listed lately.

B-2 bass was what impressed me on my NS-1000's. M-80 plenty of clean power and headroom. I have had M-2,4,,45,60,65,50,70,80,85,MX-1000,MX-2000,PC2002M,PC5002M, P2200,B-1,B-2,B-6 and BX-1 to name a few. All have had a little NS-1000/1000M time here..

Right now I have a PF-800..C-1..M-2.. NS-1000 hooked up to test the C-1's performance.
As well as a Azur 740C..C-4..M-4..NS-1000M setup to test the C-4's performance.

And ops checking a Sansui 7070 with it hooked up to my NS-690's.

Last edited:
I have owned two M-65's. Sold them. Now have 4 M-4's. That should tell you something. IMO have owning both the M-4 is a better Amp. Paired with a C-4 it Awesome. :smoke:

Build quality is better. Plenty of power and lot easyer to work on. And to my ears sounds nicer. :thmbsp: Look at Avionics picture of his M-4. That thing is humming.

Last edited:
yamaha

I have C50/M50 and I am having trouble setting the photo coupler voltage adjustment on the M50. Should be +1V +/- 0.1 v.
I can not get it better than -1V with little adjustment. I have adjusted it several times to be sure of meter polarity but always the same.
The adjustment was required after a cap on the small vertical board near the power trans blew.
It took 1/2 the small board with it. I ended up making a new half circuit board and replacing the C607 cap. Not much else on that half of the board except jumper wires.
Working fine for 2 years now. All other voltage readings are in spec.
I also recapped the entire large cap. line and other caps that looked funny.
I am also replacing the small relays in my second C50. That one has different relays than the one I use every day. The relays on the second C50 are very intermittent.
As for sound I must use what I can afford and now I can afford the C50/M50 setup that I got for $50.

Paul

At $500 the best you can do is probably the C-4/M-4 combination. At a similar price you might try a C-80 or C-85 instead of the C-4?

I built my brother a C-80, M-4 system for his ADS L1290 speakers and it sounds exceptional. I tried a M-60 in the system but the M-4 had a more musical and warmer tone to it (at least with the ADS).

The M-4 is a fine sounding bargain amp and I would take it over the M-60/65. To me the M-60 sounds good but is basically no where near the build quality of the M-4. The M-4 is built like a tank and easy to work on. I have never tried either with Yamaha speakers.

Might take a little more than $500 total to get them healthy.

If you want to spend some coin, I could not imagine a better sounding vintage Yamaha system than a C-2x, B-2 and NS-1000 setup. I am not familiar with Yamaha speakers so Avionic could probably tell you if the higher power of M-2 might match better.

Last edited:
Well....I'm going out to pick up a yamaha M-4 and C2a combo today; I plan on restoring with new caps.

If I don't like the sound of yamaha(never tried it) and like my recapped recently Harman Kardon better......

I'll might be willing to sell it un-restored(with deoxit treatment) for $500(as a set) and more if you want me to recap(I'm no pro though!).

Chances are if this AMP is as awesome as people say I'll be trying to hawk my Harman Kardon instead.

Back
Top Bottom