Yamaha A-S1000 or M2?

belgianbrain

I've narrowed it down.

I'm going to get either a new A-S1000 or an M2 with TBD preamp.

I figure both will require similar investment.

I don't listen loud - 10W MAX, with peaks of course.

Which way to go with my NS-1000M?

Sound quality and detail is #1 priority.

If you don't listen *very* loud then go with the A-S1000. This is for several reasons: 1) It's new and shouldn't give you any trouble for may years to come, 2) together with the NS-1000 it may sound a bit fuller and warmer and 3) you need less space.

After decades of farting around with old gear, if you can afford the sound quality you want new, then that is the way to go. The A-S1000 is pretty spectacular anyway. You're gonna love it.

I use an A-S2000 with my NS 1000m's. I too do not listen loud these days. However, don't let the 90 watts per channel fool you on these units. When asked to perform, they will do so without breaking a sweat! My only problem is my 1000m's are at a disadvantage being in a lousy room :(

Well, my only concern really is sound quality. I want the amp to disappear and not add anything to the sound except amplification. I came to the sad realization recently that my rebuilt CA-2010 wasn't quite cutting it in that regard.

Now I'm using an A-700 in my primary system, and it sounds awesome, but I know there are improvements to be had.

I have the space for separates.

I'm also an engineer who does electronics rebuilds, so while a new reliable piece would be nice, a little maintenance with vintage gear is not a problem.

Only focus: sound quality.

Does anyone think the M2 would sound better?

The results of this thread will be my purchase decision. So, ya, I'm being a pest before spending well over a grand. :)

Well, my only concern really is sound quality. I want the amp to disappear and not add anything to the sound except amplification. I came to the sad realization recently that my rebuilt CA-2010 wasn't quite cutting it in that regard.

Now I'm using an A-700 in my primary system, and it sounds awesome, but I know there are improvements to be had.

I have the space for separates.

I'm also an engineer who does electronics rebuilds, so while a new reliable piece would be nice, a little maintenance with vintage gear is not a problem.

Only focus: sound quality.

Does anyone think the M2 would sound better?

The results of this thread will be my purchase decision. So, ya, I'm being a pest before spending well over a grand. :)

Don't you have a decent audio store close by that would allow an in home trial, or at least allow you to return it in case you don't like it? Doesn't matter what we say. If it doesn't sound right in your system, then it doesn't sound right.

Good point. That is an option.

BUT, I think the only place to get an A-S1000 is from a niche high-end audio dealer here, and their mark-up is usually astronomical.

I'd probably end up buying it on Ebay or Amazon.

This is Canada. Retail in Canada is not like in the U.S. We tend to get screwed here. I wouldn't be surprised to see them asking the MSRP of $1799 here, even though it sells everywhere online for $1299 or less.

That, in the end, may push me towards buying a used M2...

Last edited:
The B2 is another 5 years older or so. You think it sounds better?

One actually listed locally yesterday, but the asking price is extremely optimistic...($800)

Well as someone who has 4 M4’s I must pipe up and say of all the classic audio amps (a euphemism for old equipment that needs a lot of upkeep) I have they (along with the M2 which I have also had experience with too) they both sound very good with the NS1000M speakers. The Yamaha preamps, and other Yamaha Class A incarnations in my judgement do not hold up as well or age as well. The B2 (and the Kenwood L07m) also sound very good and better, much better but both require more TLC and fill in the blanks as into what they might need. I once owned a BWM 2002 I’ll leave that to your imagination what that cost me.

The M4 and M2 lack a certain glamor, they look like Russian tanks, but they get the job done, they give you 90% of the performance of the B2. Your mileage might vary and the lights look real cool compared to modern equipment. If you can find a good (well maintained) and cheap one grab it and enjoy.

That being said I can understand completely what Bigerik is saying. Would I recommend a Yamaha M amp to anyone? As Joni Mitchell would say “Go to him but be prepared to bleed”

$800 for a nice B-2 isn't bad at this point. If I had one available locally, I would probably go for it. And after a basic refurb, I can almost guarantee you will like it more than the M-2 or A-S1000.

I'm also very close to pulling the trigger on a beautiful M2 that's listed.

Stay tuned!! (and more informed opinions wanted ASAP!)

You guys will have the joy of helping me choose a preamp if I end up with the M2 or B2. :D

Well, the B2 owner wants an absolute minimum of $700 for it. It's all original.

OTOH, the M2 may be available a bit cheaper. The M2 has also been completely restored and recapped recently (except PS caps), so it's probably worth a bit more than that B2.

Going to try to make a deal on that M2 first.

The B2 makes me a bit nervous - if I open it up and cook a transistor while working on it, it's junk. I'm an engineer, not an electrician or technician, so the hands on stuff for me sometimes requires some trial and error. ;)

Last edited:
if it's not too much trouble financially, you can always buy two amps to try, and keep your favorite. of couse, you might then want to work on both first to make the testing accurate. really, this is the best way to go, so you're not always wondering.

i should mention that the B-2 is going to have a somewhat fuller sound that IMO will make finding a good matching preamp easier, and i think the B-2 will mate better to the NS-1000M's tonal balance. i think they were often sold together, FWIW.

Yeah, that approach might start to elicit raised eyebrows from my wife.

She's pretty cool with this stuff, so I'm not going to push my luck. :nono:

Back
Top Bottom