Blue Shower ????

avionic

" Black Knights "------- F-15 " Wizard "
Subscriber
Found this in a Yamaha pre-amp with switching issues..:scratch2:

Many years ago, when servicing old style TV tuners with tuner strips.A tuner cleaner called "Blue Shower" was a popular cleaner at the time.Thats what this crap looks like..

Attachments

• DSC03824.JPG
    DSC03824.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 110
  • DSC03825.JPG
    DSC03825.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 114
I believe it to be Blue Foam spray not Blue Shower by techspray.http://www.all-spec.com/products/1667-18S.html

I have a can of that Blue Foam somewhere from back in the day. Will try and post a pic latter to day.

Barney

Blue foam..Yep, I remember that stuff as well..Well reguardless , the crap over time has fouled the switches and possibly promoted oxidation and some corrosion.Hopefully it hasn't damaged the switches. C-1's are rather rare and expensive to come by.

That techspray is not the same "Blue Shower of yesteryear"The blue shower we used back in the 70's was a foamy blue colored cleaner.

Last edited:
I can't remember when I started using the Techspray's Blue Shower but it has been for many many years. I like the techspray but it is getting very expensive and hard to find any more. Been using LPS zero residue cleaner lately. The Blue Foam was never used by me even back when doing TV tuners for a living. This can was in a box of old parts from an auction.

Though of cleaning it up with WD-40?

Barney

Attachments

• 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 33
Wasn't there also "Blue Stuff" with abrasive particles in it, for "cleaning" old TV tuners?

reminds me -- should start a thread in vintage -- "what's the weirdest thing you've ound inside a piece of vintage kit?" - dead cockroach is probably not that uncommon. Avionic let us know how you get on with the clean up...

Ultrasonic with hot DI water and Simple Green "Crystal". Final rinsed with DI water and blow dried with compressed air . Relubed detent ball and springs with white lithium grease. Gave the wafers a shot of Deoxit D100.

Attachments

• DSC03828.JPG
    DSC03828.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC03827.JPG
    DSC03827.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 21
Ultrasonic with hot DI water and Simple Green "Crystal". Final rinsed with DI water and blow dried with compressed air . Relubed detent ball and springs with white lithium grease. Gave the wafers a shot of Deoxit D100.

Looks new! Good for another thirty years.

Was the residue waxy?

Barney

Back
Top Bottom