White stuff on STK module

Jpowell1

Pretty basic stuff I know but this is the first one Ive replaced
The new one arrived without the white stuff
What is it?

You mean the white silicone thermal grease? Do a search and you'll find lots. Use very sparingly, most people slather on too much.

Conrad is correct, you don't need a lot of the compound. You're trying to fill the microscopic gaps between the two surfaces to enhance heat transfer. If you use too much, your defeating the purpose. Of course the amount depends on how coplanar the surfaces are so it's kind of a case by case thing. Generally a thin skim coating is plenty.

I just replaced one of my modules also, I'd clean any old compound of if it's a used one and give it a new coating.

Glenn

you want just enough to get a thin, even coating. I actually spread it using a razor blade to give an even coating across the whole thing. This is not backyard mechanic stuff where "the bigger the glob, the better the job" applies.

Good luck with that... it may LOOK the same, but it isn't. Beer and piss look pretty similar too, but you really don't want to use the wrong one, know what I mean?

Why bother asking for - in this case - expert advice, and then blithely ignore it?

John

White lithium grease will not stay in the gap between the two objects depending on the temperature. It will liquefy and run out of the joint. Most thermal compounds are made from some oxides, such as zinc or aluminum. They are compounded with a high temperature silicone so they do not migrate.
I'd remove the grease and use the proper compound for longevity.
The STK modules for my Yamaha receiver are no longer available, so I had to buy used ones. You can bet I used the best thermal compound I could get!

Good luck with that... it may LOOK the same, but it isn't. Beer and piss look pretty similar too, but you really don't want to use the wrong one, know what I mean?

Why bother asking for - in this case - expert advice, and then blithely ignore it?

John

I blithely assumed people would know I was joking
Of course I didnt use lithium grease

Back
Top Bottom