Who knows Electro Voice speakers ?????

Shain

I came across these Electro Voice speakers, ....they must be 1950s vintage.

Electro Voice Low responce Ultra Compact System

Not sure what they actually are, and also need some info on the speaker wire connections.

Haven't seen this type of wire connections. Anyone know the proper connections?

Attachments

• EV speakers 2.jpg
    EV speakers 2.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 368
looks like some iteration of the Electrovoice Esquire - - REALLY sweet speaker, although WAY low on WAF (just ask my wife - a speaker on the list of "too ugly to stay in daylight" :D ) do yours have the Hawaii-inspired cane mesh grille ?

I think mhardy has a pair . . .

T35 tweeter
LS-8 mid
12WBS woofer I do believe :thmbsp:

good stuff and very efficient - throw some tubes at it and enjoy

almost forgot . . . I *think* each set of terminals need to be *strapped* together (kinda like the original KLH 6). I'd be willing to bet mhardy or another sage will know for sure, and probably have the *original* manual to boot

These guys do (electrovoicesupport at telex.com) and they answer their e-mail too. I got some info on some old ones once, and the customer service was outstanding. Jay

It's either an Esquire or the next model up, and Mark is absolutely right. They are amazingly fine sounding small EV speakers. T-35 tweeter (maybe T-35B), an LS-8 fullrange as an extended "midrange" driver, and (in the Esquire) a 12BW paper cone 12" woofer. The higher-level models used a foam cone woofer, which is what yours looks like. EDIT: Guess the "Regal" is what I am thinking of. The old 1961 Radio Shack catalog comes in handy.

EV3-waysystems1961.jpg

Manual for the Esquire 200:
http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Speakers/EDS/Esquire 200A EDS.pdf

Manual for the Regal 300:
http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Speakers/EDS/Regal 300 EDS.pdf

Manual for the Royal 400:
http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Speakers/EDS/Royal 400 EDS.pdf

You guys are awsome !!!

The speakers are The Regal 300s.... Mine have the three bar holes in the cabinet front edges. (Except the three bars in mine are missing.)

And as markus mentioned they do have the cane mesh grills.

These are definetly keepers. Will try to refinsh the cabinets at some point. Not real attractive right now, but it would be a shame to take them apart.

May be the oldest set of Electro Voices I ever found.

I've got some tube gear to use with them.

That SP-8 used as the midrange is a pretty good fullrange driver on it's own, I used to use a pair. I'd expect the system to sound pretty good.

I've got a pair of the same speakers. Guess working all day makes me slow on the draw. I have all 6 bars, I think, and the horrible cane grilles.
They do sound nice, even though one of my woofers has some separating surround material and one has voice coil sag. And at least one mid-range has the paper surround deteriorating. And the cabinets are really rough.

OK, so they're fugly, f-ing heavy, and in poor shape, but they sound really nice.

Anyone know how to repair the paper surround problem on the mids? With all the talk of franken speakers, I've just thought of pulling the drivers and installing them in some Altec Model Threes I just got with gorgeous cabinets but a radio shack woofer.

a german friend

who I sold some big ole RCA field coil speakers to a while backtaught me a trick:

rp_010c_b.jpg

cut or tear to shape, and play paper mache with some elmers glue. I cant find the before and after pictures he sent me, but he's done AMAZING work with zig-zag's, elmers, and LOTS of patience. Think of it like a drywall repair: spackle - tape - spackle. I've repaired a couple tears and screw holes in some of my 15 inch maggies, and although the repair is visually obvious, I sure cant hear a difference . . .

beefing up the surrounds of the EV's would be a cake walk compared to the destruction my friend Thomas has reversed . . .

wank

Do you actually install a "jumper" or strap wire between the HI and LOW terminals (T-1), ...and then one for the HI and LOW terminals of T-2 ?

I guess then the T-1 set is the positive amp wire, and the T-2 set is the common amp wire?

I'm going to take off the back panel Fri and get a look at the innerds.

This is fun !

Tom is right, wank, the SP-8s are really nice drivers. If you are need to replace one, search around on ePay -- they come up regularly, and don't usually cost too much. Failing that, I think that I still have one kicking around in storage (pretty sure, anyway, as I can't remember getting rid of it!) -- I'll see if I can find it.

I had one of the monster Royal 400 with the Styrofoam 18" woofer. It was a good sounding speaker but not great.

Full rand and the T35 were in the box at the top...

ev-400.jpg

AFAIK these speaker systems use the LS-8 and not the SP-8, boys.

The LS-8's a nice little FR driver, too, though; one of my faves. AlNiCo magnet to boot.

I'll make time tomorrow, Fri, to take a pix or two of the speakers from the inside.

The mids look like dual range units, with a small center cone sticking out from the middle of the speaker.

I'll simply refinish/restore them to original as possible. Put them on a couple of small stands to keep them off the floor. (The bottoms are scratched up now.)

I found these just from word of mouth. A guy, was aware that I was into old stereo stuff, ....and he said, he knew someone else that had a couple of old speakers. So I took a minute to check it out, an found them.

wank
Are the cross bars just round metal stock? Brass? I may try to get some and make my own, if that's what they were originally.

Thanks for all the help !!!

Shain -
Yeah, they're just round metal stock. Probably aluminum with a bronze finish, because they're fairly soft. I'll see if I have all 6 - if I do you can have them.

On the terminals - yes, the T1s and T2s are strapped.

Thanks wank... If you have any bars that would be great !

A couple more pix. I can't get to the back of the mid and horn, without dismanteling the whole top half of the speaker. They're enclosed in a sealed top half.

Attachments

• EV spkrs 1.jpg
    EV spkrs 1.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 124
  • EV spkrs 2.jpg
    EV spkrs 2.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 142
  • EV spkrs 3.jpg
    EV spkrs 3.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 143
Back
Top Bottom