ca1010 issues

2011etec

hi guys!i have a nice ca 1010 and for a while ive been having an issue with the right channel .unit turns on properly,volume on left side is normal but power on right is low,if you give the volume knob a smack sometimes the right will come back to normal.is this just a cleaning issue or something deeper?

thanks for the reply.will look for the deoxit in town.

Sounds like its time for a new protect relay possibly. It could also be a dirty switch. But I'm putting my money on the relay.Don't forget to deoxit the coupler switch on the rear panel. There notorius for getting pretty dirty.
The protect relay is on the PS board accessable from the bottom panel. The relay up top is for Class A transformer winding switching.

Sounds like its time for a new protect relay possibly. It could also be a dirty switch. But I'm putting my money on the relay.Don't forget to deoxit the coupler switch on the rear panel. There notorius for getting pretty dirty.
The protect relay is on the PS board accessable from the bottom panel. The relay up top is for Class A transformer winding switching.
if it was the relay would it not shut it all down not just one side ?you can still here the right side its just very low.just asking as I know zero to minus 100 about stereo innards.

If you have a Guitar Center store nearby they carry it. Or, www.partsexpress.com has it for a decent price. Maybe even Amazon?
Where are you located? Some Radio Shack stores have it too.

if it was the relay would it not shut it all down not just one side ?you can still here the right side its just very low.just asking as I know zero to minus 100 about stereo innards.

The relay is not shutting off. It just has a set of fouled dirty contacts.Bumping up the volume increases the current flow and the fouled contacts start conducting again. Your issue could also be a cold solder connection for the same reason as the relay contacts. One way to verify is when it acts up again. Instead of cranking up the volume. Tap lightly on the relay and listen for the sound quality.

Last edited:
The relay contacts can be cleaned but this is usually a short term fix.New "drop in " replacement relays are available through Digikey and Mouser.

The relay contacts can be cleaned but this is usually a short term fix.New "drop in " replacement relays are available through Digikey and Mouser.
is there a particular part number to order if it turns out to be the culprit?

is there a particular part number to order if it turns out to be the culprit?
Sure is..:D

This.....
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...=sGAEpiMZZMtSzCF3XBhmW8KXvo/AizVDhZPnFU7Xxys=
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/HL2-HP-DC12V-F/255-2395-ND/1956559
or this...
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...=sGAEpiMZZMtSzCF3XBhmW1uKSon960XE227ogInLziM=
Digikey is about the same price if they had them in stock.
Nothing wrong with the Panasonics.Omrons are a little pricy.

Last edited:
might take a week or two but I will try to remember to give an update.will proably order deoxit from amazon and I spied a book about how to fix your stereo.nice thing about the book is it covers 70,s gear which is exactly what I need as im clueless about fixing stereo equipment but willing to give it a try as long as I don't get in over my head or others recommend to go with a pro instead of trying something like this myself.

Last edited:
i have had channel balance issues with my CA-1010. i was having trouble pinning into down to a specific area, so i tried to hit everything at once. Faderlube for the volume and balance, Deoxit (and lots of switching back and forth) on the preamp coupler switch, and lots of switching back and forth on all the front panel switches that are in the audio path (Deoxit might be hard to get into all switches without some real disassembly).

i think i've been able to rid the unit of the issue, but as with some of these older Yamaha's, you should be prepared for it to resurface at some point.

ive chickened out!due to my total lack of knowledge of the inner workings of a stereo anything, I decided to take my baby to a pro and have it done correctly .thanks to all who gave advise im sure it will come in handy on other jobs ,I just wasn't willing to gamble with the baby .will look around for something im not so attached to and use it as a learning platform instead.

ive chickened out!due to my total lack of knowledge of the inner workings of a stereo anything, I decided to take my baby to a pro and have it done correctly .thanks to all who gave advise im sure it will come in handy on other jobs ,I just wasn't willing to gamble with the baby .will look around for something im not so attached to and use it as a learning platform instead.

Even after doing a lot of reading and viewing instructional videos, unless you have a friend who works on electronics of some kind or is an EE, the first repairs will be daunting if not destructive. By the time you buy some equipment for making repairs, you are likely hundreds in, and just getting started.

There are some web sites that offer instruction, and kits like most of the techs and engineers started with when they first became interested and later in school. I should probably buy one myself to see if I can insert a diode correctly with just 2 tries.

Short version, you probably made the right decision, but I would encourage you to develop your interest. In my case, i have a EE friend who helps me more than he would like to, but at least my questions are getting better.

For what it's worth, I've replaced that damn relay twice since 2009 and after maybe a year, the low volume problem crops up again. I am sick of unsoldering and soldering and am seriously considering installing a relay socket just so I can get relays that unplug and plug in.

I had a similar issue with my CA-2010, the problem was cold solder joints in the amp boards. These are a little tricky to get to. The relay is easy to reach, FWIW. Good luck with it, I hope you get it fixed and get back to enjoying it.

Back
Top Bottom