Yamaha RX-V1070 AV, any good?

dorke

Hello,
I can get the Yamaha RX-V1070 or the KENWOOD KR-V9080 for the same price.

Was wondering what you guys think about it's quality sound wise and reliability.

Which would you go with?
What would it be worth?

Thanks

Well,this board seems somewhat sleepy...

I got the the RX-V1070 yesterday for 100$(no remote).
Opened it and had to vacuum the previous owner's dog hair out :)
The display bulb is burned and needs replacement(I'll try a blue led).

I'm a happy camper-it works fine and sounds great.

I found out it was the top Yamaha gear around 1993 and sold for 1,300$!
The build quality is phenomenal-only top quality devices inside and a "Tank" for a transformer.
It is heavy,very heavy indeed around 20Kg!

So many Yamahas...so little time. I'm no expert but the RX-Vxxxx can be found quite cheap and the better ones can sound great for what you pay for them. However, when certain parts (any?) go bad there is no practical repair solution (except to find a better/newer one for $100). The same can be said for any (quality) brand. However, many of the older Yamahas, the CR-xxxx series for example, can be repaired by competent technicians and have gained legendary status for build and sound quality. Most of the traffic in this particular forum seems to focus on the care and feeding of the older and usually higher-end units. The 10-20 year old mid-range gear seems to get ignored...maybe because it still works and is cheap? :scratch2:

So...the RX-V1070 is a good deal if you are happy with it and it lasts for a few years.

I'm very heapy with it. It sounds great.

I can repair equipment myself.
This particular one has just a burnt 12v display lamp(maybe the only soft spot).
I'm working on replacing it with a Blue led,that should be a cool display light- blue on black.
When finished(waiting for the wide angle led to arrive) I shall post a photo of it.

Looking at the way the rx-v1070 is build tells me it was build to last(forever?)
no worries here :)

By the way,
in my book a receiver rated 110W into 8 ohm with 0.015% THD is a high-end unit...

I have been on the hunt for a 1070 for a long, long time. I had an 850 and 870 that were just badass. The 1070 is my holy grail of yamaha HT receivers from that era.

I've seen a number of 1070's going for roughly a 100 on CL.
I have an 870 downstairs that I bought for real short money as the display was out. Fixed that real quick when Yamaha still sold the bulb.

I ended up using on a temporary basis as my RX-V1000 had some issues. I was amazed at the 870's sound,, and the RX-V1000 almost sounded like a toy compared to it.

However- the 870 being of a different era- could not handle DTS, nor could it handle 6 Channel Analog input for my SACD or DVD-A.

I thought the sound of the 870 was stunning- the 1070 should be no different.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom