c-45 repaired

mojoe

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I want to report my recent experience. Nothing new really but for those of us who aren't professional technicians, it may be of some help.

I recently acquired a non-working Yamaha C-45 control amp. It worked fine through the headphone jack but the pre out was completely silent. There was a huge glob of adhesive all around the main filter caps. So much so that it had completely buried several nearby components on the muting control circuit.

I removed the filter caps and scraped/cleaned away all the old glue and sure enough, many of those components were corroded...one diode lead was completely eaten through.

A few dollars worth of new diodes/transistors/capacitors later, resolder the original filter caps in place and that's all it took to fix her. I'm now using this in my system. Even though it may be a BOTL unit, it sounds very good to me with absolutely no background noise.

Mojoe,
My C-45 and M-45 were the same way, but the damage wasn't far enough along to cause any failures.
M-45 glue damage picture:
picture.php

I wish I had taken a before photo of my c-45. It was a ridiculous amount of glue.

Back
Top Bottom