Would any speakers from Best Buy be a big improvement over 15 yr old Infinity SM 185?

Since you are leaning toward a home theater setup, there is probably not much to gain by using the towers up front and they cost twice as much. If they fit in the budget, go ahead and get them as they will have a little better bottom end. Might be better for music but you probably would not see much improvement with movies. As for a sub, the 8" Pioneer is not bad at all. For about the same $ you could consider the 10" Polk PSW10. Parts express has a couple budget subs but of course they are not available through BestBuy.

I disagree with the PSW10 advice... it really doesn't get it done for HT.

I see that BB is selling it for $200 on their web site, for reference I picked up an Outlaw LFM-1 off Craigslist for $250, the Outlaw just kicks the Polk's ass and jumps up and down on it without sounding "unmusical" or boomy at all.

I actually have a PSW-10 in a secondary system as it came with a Craigslist purchase of some speakers I wanted, and honestly, it's not that good. Just doesn't dig very deep although to be fair, it doesn't sound *bad* just doesn't really get it done in anything but a very small room.

I believe all those you reference are AJ models. All AJ models say so on the back panels.

Ok cool thx. What sub would u get with them? I'm at work now and I just did an employee price check on the SSP-FS52 floor standing speakers and I get them for $66 a pair! Are you 100% that model is an AJ? If so that's a steal if they're as good as you guys are saying.

I believe all those you reference are AJ models. All AJ models say so on the back panels.

Everyone at Best Buy says Klipsch are way better than Pioneer. Now I'm confused. I told him I heard Klipsch were very shrill and too bright and said they were the deepest speakers we carried.

Last edited:
The Pioneer powered sub is made specifically for the bookshelf models. You may not need one for the floor standers.

IMO Klipsch speakers are harsh and shrill. I've never heard one I liked. In addition I'm fairly certain they are not the "deepest" speakers BB carries.

FWIW: I own a pair of the AJ BS21's. They are paired with a Monoprice sub woofer in my bedroom system.

You should give both the Pioneers and the Klipsch a listen. There are people that like Klipsch and others (like me) that prefer the Pioneers. There's no telling which ones you'll like without giving them a listen. IMO you should never buy any speakers you haven't auditioned.

The FS52's are definitely an Andrew Jones design.

Last edited:
Ok cool thx. What sub would u get with them? I'm at work now and I just did an employee price check on the SSP-FS52 floor standing speakers and I get them for $66 a pair! Are you 100% that model is an AJ? If so that's a steal if they're as good as you guys are saying.

Are you sure it is a pair? The bookshelves come as pairs but the towers are singles

To answer your question on on Andrew Jones
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Speakers/Home+Theater+Speakers/SP-FS52

I have the pioneer BS21's and some Klipsch B-3's bookshelf speakers.
For me the klipsch have better sound, but lots of factors here Amp, room, hearing,
taste of music ex.

Best-

Boozehound

Last edited:
They're not shrill or harsh at all?

You really need to listen to the choices you are considering. We all hear differently, so you may like what your are being told is your b est bet, or you may hate them. Don't take anyone's word on what your choices are. You HAVE to listen for yourself

A few of those SM speakers like the OP has are interesting in that they source European drivers(Audax), woofers and mids with cast aluminum baskets and a nice fiberglass dome tweeter. Decent build quality with flush mounted drivers.
Although I wouldn't compare them to Dynaudio, they sounded surprisingly good compared to the other inferior SMs.
I'd recommend the OP listen for himself.

The last updates of that SM series had the audax drivers. I believe the 185's are in that series. I know the 255's are. Supposed to be superior to earlier SM's.

You really need to listen to the choices you are considering. We all hear differently, so you may like what your are being told is your b est bet, or you may hate them. Don't take anyone's word on what your choices are. You HAVE to listen for yourself

But there are no good setups for listening in stores.

But there are no good setups for listening in stores.

This really is the only way for you to know what YOU will like. You will have to take a risk then. But you may not like the set up that others will tell you is great. IMHO it is too risky buying gear that others like. The benefit of buying used/vintage gear is that you can try stuff out. If you don't like it, you can sell it for at least what you have in it and your not out much. Hopefully the Best Buy return policy will be good enough that you can return if your not happy. But how many time can you do that? The biggest thing I have learned about audio since I got back into it years ago is, I don't always like what everyone else says is the best. Lot's of time I wounder wtf is everyone talking about, this stuff xxcks.

Last edited:
Everyone at Best Buy says Klipsch are way better than Pioneer. Now I'm confused. I told him I heard Klipsch were very shrill and too bright and said they were the deepest speakers we carried.

Klipsch are way better than Pioneer ? Blanket statements like that are not true. Maybe the Klipsch BB carries are better than the Pioneers they carry.
Maybe...

Klipsch makes good speakers but some people don't care for the sound of the horns. Pioneer makes speakers that blow away anything Klipsch ever made but BB doesn't carry those, and most of us will never be able to afford them anyway. Pioneer also made some real duds too.

If you can get a good 5.1 Klipsch set up in your budget it might sound better than the Pioneer AJ 5.1 set up. Without knowing which Klipsch speakers you are comparing it's not possible to say one way or the other.

With a limited budget you cannot go wrong with the Pioneer AJ speakers.

Listen to the Klipsch and Pioneer before buying them if you can.

Yeah, pretty crazy

I'm with Botrytis, you need to decide what YOU like.

With that said, I sold my SP-BS22LR's and matching sub, since I have Vandersteens, but WOULD NOT HESITATE to have those again if I were forced to live in a small apt or home.

The floorstanders, I hear, are quite good as well.

Best of luck.

This really is the only way for you to know what YOU will like. You will have to take a risk then. But you may not like the set up that others will tell you is great. IMHO it is too risky buying gear that others like. The benefit of buying used/vintage gear is that you can try stuff out. If you don't like it, you can sell it for at least what you have in it and your not out much. Hopefully the Best Buy return policy will be good enough that you can return if your not happy. But how many time can you do that? The biggest thing I have learned about audio since I got back into it years ago is, I don't always like what everyone else says is the best. Lot's of time I wounder wtf is everyone talking about, this stuff xxcks.

I'm with Botrytis, you need to decide what YOU like.

With that said, I sold my SP-BS22LR's and matching sub, since I have Vandersteens, but WOULD NOT HESITATE to have those again if I were forced to live in a small apt or home.

The floorstanders, I hear, are quite good as well.

Best of luck.

Do most audiophiles agree they are better than the Klipsch offered at Best Buy?

Do most audiophiles agree they are better than the Klipsch offered at Best Buy?

Most "audiophiles" agree on just about nothing. In fact many claim they're just "music lovers" while constantly participating in heated discussions about hardware. IME those that are just music lovers couldn't care less about the hardware.

As one who proudly admits to being an audiophile, IMO the Pioneer AJ series are better than any Klipsch that BB sells. However, as I stated in a previous post, "I've never heard any Klipsch speaker that I like", regardless of price. I previously posted that you have to listen to the ones you're considering and make up your own mind.

You may like the Klipsch over the Pioneers. You may like the Pioneers over the Klipsch. You won't know unless you listen to them. This is also something I previously posted.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom