Started DCM TF1000 Restoration

Plomaman27

SparkJockey
attachment.php
attachment.php

Both speakers are in pretty much the same condition on arrival. There are a couple of small holes in the outer sock on both.

I picked these up at a local Salvation Army thrift for $150 out the door

attachment.php

After pulling the outer sock down and up to get to the Xover and drivers... the inner headliners were super dusty from the dried out glue! Vacuuming is suggested and a dust mask. I wouldnt do this in your living room.

Now that's a coincidence. I just created a thread on TF-1000 at the same time as you.

Great speakers! Good look with your refurb. Mine were in a bit better condition, so they don't quite need an overhaul just yet. But someday I probably will do it. The Black cloth looks great on these.

-Tom

attachment.php

Xover looked ok at first.....

attachment.php

But found coil hot glue had dried out and coil was flopping around causing one of the coil wires to have a cold connection to the board... resulting in low woofer audio output

attachment.php

If youve got a scope its a whole lot easier to troubleshoot these. I simply disonnected the colored output wires from the Xover (after somehow noting where each were attached) then pumped some broad spectrum tunes into the crossover while probing the low/mid/high pins with the oscope... This particular speaker had weak woofer output and nothing coming out of the Audax mid driver or Vifa highs driver at first. After fixing the woofer coil wire and resoldering a wobbly spade connector #1 ive got all three drivers working fine:thmbsp: Although Im not really happy with the quality of sound compared to my TF600's... maybe a recap is needed.

Now that's a coincidence. I just created a thread on TF-1000 at the same time as you.

Great speakers! Good look with your refurb. Mine were in a bit better condition, so they don't quite need an overhaul just yet. But someday I probably will do it. The Black cloth looks great on these.

-Tom

Hey Tom, that is a coincidence. Thanks for the vote of confidence. Wow you found a good-as-is pair? Awesome. Theyre hard to find period, let alone in good condition. Im going to try to clean these socks up a little and stitch a few minor holes and *possibly* even dye them blacker.

Hey Tom, that is a coincidence. Thanks for the vote of confidence. Wow you found a good-as-is pair? Awesome. Theyre hard to find period, let alone in good condition. Im going to try to clean these socks up a little and stitch a few minor holes and *possibly* even dye them blacker.

Its amazing how different my crossovers are compared to yours. Just curious, are your S/N low or high?
Mine are 000271 and 000270. I assume these are early.

Its amazing how different my crossovers are compared to yours. Just curious, are your S/N low or high?
Mine are 000271 and 000270. I assume these are early.

See my post on your new thread

Even though your #s are smaller I think they are a later model. My s/n is 000414. Maybe they started over with s/n's when Mitek bought them. Im definately not an expert on DCM history so take what I say with a grain of salt!

TF1000 Xover fell AK.jpg

The second speaker crossover wasnt even visible or attached to the inside of the connector cup. All six of the standoffs were broken off and the crossover had fallen inside of the cabinet! When it fell inside, the black audio wire pulled off of the collector cup spade connector. Now I know why there was zero audio out of any of the drivers!

TF1000 Xover fell close AK.jpg

TF1000 Xover plate broken AK.jpg

all six of the standoffs were broken off at the connector cup!:thumbsdn: This speaker took a few serious jolts to break them all off like that... most likely was dropped.

TF1000 Xover plate good AK.jpg

standoffs on a good cup

View attachment 585148

The second speaker crossover wasnt even visible or attached to the inside of the connector cup. All six of the standoffs were broken off and the crossover had fallen inside of the cabinet! When it fell inside, the black audio wire pulled off of the collector cup spade connector. Now I know why there was zero audio out of any of the drivers!

View attachment 585149

This happened with mine too. Especially that little inductor. It was dangling on both sides on mine.

I don't see any other visible damage to the boards. If you reconnect everything, you should get sound.

I hooked everything back up on the dangling chad crossover and got sound. You were right baco99.:thmbsp: The sound had a lot to be desired though. The woofer and mid were working... nothing from the tweeter, but the woofer sounded weak and kind of muffled. Will take a closer look at the xover today and see if there are any cold solder joints. Im going to place an order for all of the capacitors today with Mouser. Theyre local here in San Diego so it shouldnt take more than a few days to get them!:banana:

make sure the caps you get from Mouser are audio grade non-polar.

and tell them to make their web site filter more Mac friendly, please. (i've never ordered from them because their web site sucks so badly)

The muddy sound...Hmm... Your woofers have rubber surrounds, right? Are they dry and brittle? The rubber tends to harden over time. Another thought is to try to connect everything without the crossover and see if the woofers sound the same, then the mids, then the tweeters. Then you can narrow the issue to the crossover.

make sure the caps you get from Mouser are audio grade non-polar.

and tell them to make their web site filter more Mac friendly, please. (i've never ordered from them because their web site sucks so badly)

The muddy sound...Hmm... Your woofers have rubber surrounds, right? Are they dry and brittle? The rubber tends to harden over time. Another thought is to try to connect everything without the crossover and see if the woofers sound the same, then the mids, then the tweeters. Then you can narrow the issue to the crossover.

Back at it...Ill make sure to order audio grade caps, thanks!...mylar and non-polar electrolytics right? i hear you on the Mouser website... difficult at best. My woofs look pretty good! The surrounds are indeed rubber and in suprisingly good shape. Ive done surround refurbs on at least 10 pairs of various speakers so Im kind of knowledgeable in that area. I almost think the previous owner replaced the surrounds and/or drivers they look so new... mids look almost new too. The xovers have the newer clear hot glue in some places too. There are alot of signs that somebody was trying to repair these but when they still sounded bad they didnt know what the heck they were doing. Tweeter and mid speaker had wires attached but NO solder... thats a neat idea to hook up the drivers without the xover to see how things sound. I'll try that and post results:thmbsp:

...couldnt find a good parts layout of the crossover so I reverse 'engineered' it and came up with the following drawing.
attachment.php

Attachments

• TF1000 Xover_NEW.jpg
    TF1000 Xover_NEW.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 158
I hooked up the tweeter, mid and bass drivers (both speakers) one at a time bypassing the crossover. All three drivers on each speaker sound great. I heard highs, mids and lows that I havent heard from these speakers since I bought them! These crossovers need some TLC...

Ordered most of the caps from Parts Express for the crossovers. Still need to order the four film caps on the big 4-section coil assembly (delay line). Not sure where Im going to find them... they cant be the round ones because those are too large to fit in the small area adjacent to the coils.:thmbsp:

My advice, start by bypassing that circuit. Get the speakers to work without it. Then once they are working, plug that circuit back in. Doubtful you will need to replace anything on the time delay circuit. My opinion.

My advice, start by bypassing that circuit. Get the speakers to work without it. Then once they are working, plug that circuit back in. Doubtful you will need to replace anything on the time delay circuit. My opinion.

Sounds like a good one baco99. Will try that today and post results. :banana:

Im running these on an NAD receiver with 50W per channel. At full volume they arent exactly shaking the plaster off the walls. Theyre a little loud but not very. do these take a lot of power to get LOUD? Maybe I should hook up the Sansui G7500.

They should be doing fine with 50 watts. But more power is more better with these. Also, the bass is not "house shaking" bass. It's deep, clean, and pleasant. It should not be boomy or irritating.

It's not this kind of bass

hqdefault.jpg

I have 400, 600 & 700's - along with original TimeWindows and they all can take quite a bit of juice. I would think 1000's would follow suit but I have never been fortunate enough to find a pair.

I agree with baco that you shouldn't have any worries with the time delay section. All should be good there.

The time delay section of my TF-700's was quite unusual. There was an obvious "factory mod" but it required no updates :D

picture.php

picture.php

Back
Top Bottom