Best Computer Speakers

Theophilus Punoval

The Queen says it's OK...
I use a pair of Minimus 7 speakers with my computer. I decided to try the crossover upgrades and metal cone "woofers" (if you can call them that) that are offered on The Website That Dares Not Say Its Name. I was skeptical at first, mainly because I'm cheap. Also a sound system has so many variables that it's difficult to point to one thing or another as being an upgrade, but I plunged.

I had been using the 7s on my desk for a while, hooked to a Realistic STA-114 receiver from 1985/86, and knew their sound. When I put the modified crossovers in with the original woofers (if you can call them that) there was a noticeable improvement. I can't honestly say for sure that it was the upgraded circuit or that there were newer capacitors, but the difference was there.

Then I put in the metal cone woofers (if you can call them that) and the sound was strikingly better when I listened to Abbey Road. The beginning shift of Harrison's guitar on "Here Comes The Sun" was clean in both speakers and the crickets on "Sun King" merged beautifully into the cymbals. "Don't Worry Baby" by the Beach Boys was unbelievable and "Blue And Sentimental" by Ike Quebec, especially Grant Green's guitar, was jaw dropping. The music floated up from a silent background.

I understand that the more money someone invests in something the less he is inclined to admit it stinks, but I really mean it when I say that the upgraded Minimus are absolutely the best computer desktop speakers I've ever heard.

Last edited:
I need to do that someday. I've been eyeing some of the modern computer speakers. Q Audio or something like that, and there's another short, stout desktop speaker that caught my eye. Can't remember the name, but both brands are mentioned on top 10 desktop speaker lists.

How much are the metal-cone woofers?

Last edited:
This may be off the beaten track but I have gone through many desktop computer speakers and the best by far have been a pair of Tang Band 3 inch full range drivers mounted in a RS Minimus 0.3 enclosure augmented with a Boston Acoustics BA635 sub. Tough to duplicate I know but you may be able to find a box with similar dimensions. The Tang Bands are available from Parts Express, https://www.parts-express.com/tang-band-w3-1053sc-3-full-range-driver--264-880 and the BA's are common at thrift stores. Having said all that you can find good 3 piece systems much easier commercially. Creative Technology or Logitech are good brands.

I have Paradigm Atom V.3's and a Technics SU-G90 amplifier. It almost rivals my main system, but my PC doesn't have a turntable. :D

If you like DIY then maybe build something? I built a set of Overnight Sensations MTM and power them with a Audiosource AMP100. I am pretty happy with the setup. Hardly any more money than the Klipsch 2.1 setup at BB.

My computer system is my system until I get more space. Headroom Micro Amp, Adcom GFA 535, AR Holographic Imaging M.5. Audioengine D1 DAC and Technics SL-D2 with 2M Red.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This may be off the beaten track but I have gone through many desktop computer speakers and the best by far have been a pair of Tang Band 3 inch full range drivers mounted in a RS Minimus 0.3 enclosure augmented with a Boston Acoustics BA635 sub.

I did this same thing after using the BA635 tweeters for my coaxial driver project. I used a couple of ancient compaq computer speakers as the satellites, and great results.

Otherwise, if ever I am at the thrift store and see a pair of complete Altec Lansing ACS41's I snap them up. They sound good on their own and have an on board crossover that shelves the bass at 100hz when a subwoofer is plugged in.
acs41.jpg

The Infinity Infinitesimal Micro makes a good computer speaker set, sometimes you can find them cheap. No EMITs, but better than Minimus 7s, IMO, and with the included (passive) subwoofer they go quite low.

While there are lots of quality small speakers out there, they don't usually sound good as near field computer speakers. I use the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers. While I wouldn't want to use them as my primary speakers in a home system, they sound fantastic as near field computer speakers. Can often be found used for under $100.

I have been poking around for a good pair of computer speakers. My 18 year old Altec Lansing 2.1 gave up the ghost recently. It was the set with 3" full range drivers crossed at 100Hz in the Sats and dual 4" bass drivers in a 4th order bandpass enclosure. It had surprisingly decent sound and surprisingly decent volume. I scrounged a small BA 2.1 from a recycle bin but it sucks. The Sats are tiny 2" drivers in tiny cubes not capable of going low enough, so voices are coming out of the small bass module. I don't remember where I originally saw them, but I have heard good things about edifier Exclaim e-10s for the computer and they are sub $100

While there are lots of quality small speakers out there, they don't usually sound good as near field computer speakers. I use the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers. While I wouldn't want to use them as my primary speakers in a home system, they sound fantastic as near field computer speakers. Can often be found used for under $100.

I have a set of these and have to agree, they do sound very nice for computer speakers. Every time I listen to them I wonder why I don't use them more often.

I have always thought the Boston Acoustics BA635's were awesome speakers,And can be had relatively cheap.Amazing for nearfield/desktop listening.

Edifier

I purchased a subwoofer/satellite setup for $35 bucks from a company called "Edifier". It was awhile back and I'm not quite sure of availability.
But it's been a hell of a value. Nice MDF cases with two-way satellites. It's about as good a sound as one could get out of that crappy green 3.5mm jack on the back of the computer.
I wish someone would sell a small, inexpensive amp that had a coaxial digital input, or even better, USB like so many DACs have.
I suppose "inexpensive" is relative.
Lets say, $39.

I'm using a set of Monsoon Media 9 planar-magnetic (a la Eminent Technology) speakers. The plate amp gave up the ghost years ago, so I'm using a passive crossover on the woofer (same X-over point as the original) and powering it with my Phisher Stereo 30A homebrew tube amp. Sounds beautiful.

-D

I've tried a few different ones but currently I'm very happy with using a cheap little Muse DAC, Denon DRA-345R, Infinity Entra One's with an Infinity BU-2 12" sub crossed over about 60Hz. While as regular speakers the little Infinities don't cut it they do however for near field listening with a sub to handle the bottom end. I've been pleasantly surprised playing many different sources on them. Others were Altec's, NHT Super Zero's, RS2001's, and several others I can't remember.

I'm always looking however and have some little JBL J520M's waiting for surrounds to try out next. I've heard many good things about them and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

My current "computer speakers" are ADS L710s. A case of I have them why not use them. If I had a space to use them in another true 2 channel system I'd do just that.

cubdog

Desktop speakers is a true Can 'o Worms.
Some love what is essentially junk..in any other use.
While others have Very capable gear being 'underemployed' by their internet machine.
Guess it's like 'wimmin' preferences: whatever floats yer boat :D

I don't see anything wrong with using smallish, inexpensive speakers with a computer. But you don't have to. I do serious listening at my computer. I have a pair of ADS L500, with the speakers sitting literally an arms length from me.

If I were doing it again, I'd probably get near-field monitors, but I already had enough speakers that it didn't make sense to buy more.

Back
Top Bottom