Paradigm Esprit Monitor series. Worth repair?

deluzione

There's someone on my local classifieds site that's selling a pair of these, but selling them dirt cheap. I asked what was wrong with them and the seller replied that the tweeters both "don't work". I Googled a little bit and it seems like the tweeters are the weak point of these towers.

Now, I'm wondering if I should buy the set anyway ( < $100 ) and try to find a replacement for the tweeters. I'll be on the phone with Paradigm in a minute to ask how much the tweeters are from the factory.

I know little about these speakers, but from what I could find, they seem to be solid, great sounding speakers, when the tweeters aren't busted..

Any help to make my decision easier is highly appreciated.

[edit] Oh, also: The seller took a picture of the back, and it doesn't have a version (like V2 or V3 or whatever), but I did notice the 2 separate inputs. One for high frequency and one for low frequency. What does this mean, and how do I hook that up to a Harman Kardon PM625?

Update: I just got off the phone with Paradigm. Apparently, they don't carry the tweeters anymore, so I'd have to rebuild the tweeters myself, or send them in to have them refurbished, which would cost $130 pre tweeter, just for the refurb (before shipping etc.).
If the tweeters were available, they'd still be $110 a piece.

I have no idea in what condition the rest of the speakers are, really. I received 3 pictures which don't show damage (because of the angle of the pictures), so I decided to carry on my quest for some nice speakers.

I hope this information doesn't make this thread useless. Maybe someone else looking for info on these might find it useful.

The esprit really rocked in my buddy's system but he was consistently embarrassed by insulation blowing out the ports, they were in my opinion much better sounding than the 3 way studio 100's that were a couple hundred more at the time. he also spent a small fortune on B&K seperates and a nak cd changer before all the stuff started coming from china. The replacement tweeter was massive overbuilt but still failed when pushed. why not check madisound for a replacement tweeter before you give up.

The esprit really rocked in my buddy's system but he was consistently embarrassed by insulation blowing out the ports, they were in my opinion much better sounding than the 3 way studio 100's that were a couple hundred more at the time. he also spent a small fortune on B&K seperates and a nak cd changer before all the stuff started coming from china. The replacement tweeter was massive overbuilt but still failed when pushed. why not check madisound for a replacement tweeter before you give up.

I've never heard of that site. Browsing it now, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for, really. They don't seem to carry the Paradigm brand. Can I just replace them with whatever fits?

Tweeters are "signature" Paradigm titanium dome. Write down model number, call Pradigm again and ask if they have replacement diaphragms. They are cheap (under 20 bucks) and easy to replace.
When you remove the tweeter assembly (4 screws) carefully remove 3 screws holding faceplate and voila- diaphragm comes out. Again-just be careful.
But before that check tweeters with the multimeter-maybe tweeters are ok and the problem is somewhere else. Such as: high and low frequency inputs should be connected together (usually piece of copper ). Hi+ with Lo+ and HI- with Lo-. Two pieces of wire will do
If there are no connectors they are suited for biamping, but normally (with the single amp) you need those connectors.
Here is the picture without them:
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...S | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews&txt=

Tweeters are "signature" Paradigm titanium dome. Write down model number, call Pradigm again and ask if they have replacement diaphragms. They are cheap (under 20 bucks) and easy to replace.
When you remove the tweeter assembly (4 screws) carefully remove 3 screws holding faceplate and voila- diaphragm comes out. Again-just be careful.
But before that check tweeters with the multimeter-maybe tweeters are ok and the problem is somewhere else. Such as: high and low frequency inputs should be connected together (usually piece of copper ). Hi+ with Lo+ and HI- with Lo-. Two pieces of wire will do
If there are no connectors they are suited for biamping, but normally (with the single amp) you need those connectors.
Here is the picture without them:
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...S | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews&txt=

The seller sent me a picture of the back of the speakers, and they look _exactly_ like what you sent. So, it could be as simple as the seller not knowing that you have to connect the 2 together?

Are these the Esprit/BP bipolar speakers? If so, the tweeters are well worth refurbishing/rebuilding. The Esprit/BP is one of the best speakers I have owned and heard.

Totally possible.
But try to negotiate the price down as if both tweeters are nad. Good luck
The price went way down: $30 for the pair. My brother in law (also a "sound fanatic") is going to check them out, because he lives closer to the seller.

Are these the Esprit/BP bipolar speakers? If so, the tweeters are well worth refurbishing/rebuilding. The Esprit/BP is one of the best speakers I have owned and heard.
Doesn't say anywhere that they're BP, but the picture that @gladiator335 referred to is _exactly_ what the back of this set looks like.

Update: My brother in law picked them up for $30. He said he can see physical damage on the tweeters (not sure how severe) and the foam around one of the woofers might need replacing. Other than that, they seem to be in decent condition.

I'll let you know how the refurb process goes, and thanks for the replies!

Post pics if you can, surrounds should be rubber, though the older first generation monitor series (late 80's eatly 90's) had glue issues where the surround would just separate from the cone. The first monitor series also came with textlile dome tweeters then they made a switch to aluminum domes with a weird shaped faceplate with no v2 designation...the monitor series (export, eclipse, esprit etc.) I'm referring to predate the bi-polar Esprit's. Pretty sure they still had the Vifa tweeters in them as well if they are the older Esprit's.

If you do run out of resourses I believe madisound offers replacements from morel, scanspeak, vifa, etc you'll need the specs from the original and then get a reccomendation. paradigm tweeters of that era were great "for the money" but if you found a suitable replacement from scan speak it could actually be an upgrade.

Post pics if you can, surrounds should be rubber, though the older first generation monitor series (late 80's eatly 90's) had glue issues where the surround would just separate from the cone. The first monitor series also came with textlile dome tweeters then they made a switch to aluminum domes with a weird shaped faceplate with no v2 designation...the monitor series (export, eclipse, esprit etc.) I'm referring to predate the bi-polar Esprit's. Pretty sure they still had the Vifa tweeters in them as well if they are the older Esprit's.
The only pictures I have are the ones posted on the classifieds site. I haven't seen the speakers myself yet.
I attached the picture from the classifieds.

If you do run out of resourses I believe madisound offers replacements from morel, scanspeak, vifa, etc you'll need the specs from the original and then get a reccomendation. paradigm tweeters of that era were great "for the money" but if you found a suitable replacement from scan speak it could actually be an upgrade.
Is it hard to figure out what the right replacement is? I've heard a lot about Paradigm using Vifa tweeters. The pricing on Vifa tweeters are a lot more interesting that fiddling with a replacement diaphragm or dishing out $110+ for a replacement tweeter..

Attachments

• Paradigm.JPG
    Paradigm.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 54
If you pull the tweeter, it'll have the part number on it on a sticker.

Something like this:

IMG_20140921_112852248_HDR.jpg

OP - those are the later Esprit's with the metal tweeter, pre bipolar though they were built to high standards , better construction than the later versions of the monitor series and on par with the Studio series of the late 90's early 2000's. Well worth sinking a couple hundred into since he got them cheap

I've also noticed that some speaker companies like to charge about double what a very similar (or same) tweeter from Madisound or other parts suppliers charge. It might be possible that buying a similar metal dome Vifa tweeter and just swapping faceplates may work...those tweeters are flush mounted onto that weird shaped hole and probably unique to Paradigm. A bit of a gamble though IMO. Check the part number on the magnet when you get at them and see if it is indeed a Vifa.

Last edited:
I picked them up yesterday. They're in rougher shape than I hoped for, but hey. They were only $30..

As for the tweeters, aside from them not even being connected in the back, I'm pretty sure they're hooped and I'll need new units. One of them didn't even have a diaphragm anymore and the other was crumpled like aluminum foil. And some genius stripped the thread on the screw holes (there were self tapping screws jammed in them).

As for the woofers, they seem to be in decent shape. The rubber rings are starting to tear, so that'll be a project in itself, but I've seen youtube videos on how to do it, and it seems pretty straightforward.

I attached pictures of one of the tweeters. If anyone can help me simplify the search for these, because I Googled a bit, and wasn't able to find any with this part number. A lot that look like these, but none are exactly the same.
Would I be able to swap them out for others? Vifa's for example?

Attachments

• 2015-04-03 15.05.54.jpg
    2015-04-03 15.05.54.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 49
  • 2015-04-03 15.06.14.jpg
    2015-04-03 15.06.14.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 48
Too bad about the screw holes - helicoil?

My searching didn't turn up much, sorry if I missed it, but have you tried calling Paradigm and asking them what it is and if they have any? The diaphragm itself looks a lot like the one in my 9se's.

Back
Top Bottom