AKFest 2012 SMAC Room System

I'd like to help but I'm a nub. Is helping as simple as hey, I'll bring my Klipsch Heresys or newish JBL 4800s or ... ?

See the first post in this thread.

There are plenty of other ways to help out - schlepping equipment into the hotel, signing up to do a shift in the room during the fest, contributing money, helping us do some listening to decide on the system in the room, contributing to this thread with other ideas, etc.

If you want to bring something, post here and I'll add it to the master list in post #1 of this thread.

Jeff

I can bring my power conditioner

Thank you.

What's the status on the speakers? When can we assemble a system or two and give 'em a listen?

SMAC March will be at Mark's place in Marysville on March 10th. So any OTHER Saturday or Sunday would be good, in March preferably.

Jeff

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯ `· .¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>‏

I could contribute my first purchased TT... (that I actually payed money for) 1978????
a Sony PSX-7 that is finally refurbished and running well.
It has an Ortofon 2M Bronze.

Happy (if I had a million dollars) Listening! :beatnik:

Last edited:
Thank you.

What's the status on the speakers? When can we assemble a system or two and give 'em a listen?

SMAC March will be at Mark's place in Marysville on March 10th. So any OTHER Saturday or Sunday would be good, in March preferably.

Jeff

I have all the components now so maybe two weeks or so.

Jeff, what is the timing on doing the comparative listening session? I am planing on having mine assembled by end of month or so.

I guess we're at "or so." Keep in mind we don't need everything painted and glossy to figure out what we want to hear in the room. If they work they're ready. Is John's passive crossover completed?

Also we will have other speakers to listen to as well. And other amps, pres, phono stages, tables, cd players. This is going to take more than one listening session I think so keep that in mind. Let's go!:D

Jeff

...got that Lenco in cross-hairs Jeff!

It's play'in K.D. Lang sweet as hell, as I write.

My champs stats:
Table speed accuracy : ± 0,003%
Wow & Flutter : 0,025% (WRMS)
S/N ratio : 73dB (DIN B)
Platter material : die-cast aluminium
Platter diameter :31,7cm
Platter weight : 1,6kg
Speeds :33 1/3 & 45rpm
Start-up time :1/3 of a rotation (33 1/3rpm)
Tonearm type :static
Effective length : 21,65cm
Overhang : 1,65cm
Stylus force range :0...3g
AS system :spring & cam
AS range : 0...3g
Resonance :7...9Hz
Headshell weight :10,5g (SH-145)
Cart weight range :2,5...14,5g
Output cable pF : 70pf
Dimensions :44,5 x 15 x 37,5

Features : - Quartz goverened X-tal lock servo system
- Automatic lead-in, return, repeat and stop
- Electronic touch switches with LED display
- 8-pole magnetic pick-up head + pulse-coated magnetic rim
- Optical end-of-record sensing
- Direct-reading stylus force gauge
- Carbon-fiber tonearm wand
- Viscous damped tonearm cueing
- Anti-skating with direct-reading and lateral balance weight
- Machine-finished die-cast aluminium platter
- Quartz governed stroboscope
- Strobe markings on platter rim
- Heavy rubber viscous gel filled platter mat [depending on market]
- Height-adjustable viscous gel filled feet
- SBMC deck 10.6kg.

Happy TT Listening! :beatnik:

hey-Hey!!!,
I have the 6CB5A amps done now. They'll probably get some tweaking in the next week or so, but they'd be ready for transport at any time. Are y'all still looking at the weekend after the SMAC meet in March?
cheers,
Douglas

hey-Hey!!!,
I have the 6CB5A amps done now. They'll probably get some tweaking in the next week or so, but they'd be ready for transport at any time. Are y'all still looking at the weekend after the SMAC meet in March?
cheers,
Douglas

Excellent. Waiting for Dennis to nail down the time but that sounds about right to me. Can't wait to give them a listen.

Jeff

hey-Hey!!!,
cheers,
Douglas

Douglas, someone has suggested that these amps have MASSIVE candle power and lots of glass, about three times the scale of what you took to Oswalds Mill back in the day... could there be any truth to that???? Just fish'in.

I look forward to seeing and hearing whatever you have dreamed up this time.

Happy Listening!:beatnik:

Douglas, someone has suggested that these amps have MASSIVE candle power and lots of glass, about three times the scale of what you took to Oswalds Mill back in the day... could there be any truth to that???? Just fish'in.

I look forward to seeing and hearing whatever you have dreamed up this time.

Happy Listening!:beatnik:

After a quick google, it seems the 6CB5A is a "normal" sized, beam power tube, not huge. More info here:

http://vinylsavor.blogspot.com/2011/01/tube-of-month-6cb5a.html

Jeff

After a quick google, it seems the 6CB5A is a "normal" sized, beam power tube, not huge. More info here:

http://vinylsavor.blogspot.com/2011/01/tube-of-month-6cb5a.html

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. Did the same search after leaving the post and same results, plus the DIY on AA discussing the build architecture with others using the same tube and with the use of a mercury vapor tubes... way over my head but, sounds very interesting.

Happy Listening! :beatnik:

hey-Hey!!!,
The 6CB5 amps are the size of just the 4E27 amplifier chassis...so to say they're more than 100 pounds lighter...:) The 866A's are a decade's worth of collecting and selecting those with maximum glow. Only a cathode shield-less Taylor Globe 866 will glow better and those are not so common anymore.

Ov course we *COULD* bring the 4E27 amps for the SMAC room. With a re-fit of the 6CB5's input to XLR we could active bi-amp something...:yes: I have an AC22b that has been re-fitted with proper chips. I think we'd be well over a quarter ton of amplification not counting a linestage...heh-heh-heh.
cheers,
Douglas

--or I could bring the original Dynaco Mk.iii mules. The only Dynaco stuff left is the P782 and the chassis. New circuit, 16446 Peerless output trans and 8417 finals...just in case y'all might want something stealth mode.

Back
Top Bottom