AR7 AR-7 tweeter oddness?

twocoaster

Hi all,

The one with the exposed/taped leads looks typical. What's up with the other one? Just curious.. any ideas?:scratch2:

Close serial numbers on cabinets, all else is the same.

Attachments

• IMG_2419.JPG
    IMG_2419.JPG
    177.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2420.JPG
    IMG_2420.JPG
    175.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2421.JPG
    IMG_2421.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2422.JPG
    IMG_2422.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 31
Both of mine have the second configuration. Beyond that, I don't know.

Sent from my ZTE Olympia

Both of mine have the second configuration. Beyond that, I don't know.
Sent from my ZTE Olympia

Yours are both without the external taped leads? How do you like this speaker, overall. Thanks!

It is a later AR replacement tweeter. The 7 is great sounding tiny speaker.

I wonder if the tweeter design changed during production, or if the previous owner had a replacement fitted? Thanks!

I wonder if the tweeter design changed during production, or if the previous owner had a replacement fitted? Thanks!

It is possible they changed in production, or it was a warranty repair and they had to convert it to the new style tweeter.

they changed in production to backwired for the later ones. I'd assume warranty replacements were also backwired. also, this basic tweeter design was used in the 17/18.

This is a little bit curious. Both of your speakers have very early serial numbers, but I really do not think the rear-wired tweet is a service replacement (meaning that the original tweet went bad and AR replaced it with a new one) because if so, the oval cut-out plug would still have the original wire leads on it, which obviously, it does not.

Am curious to know if the tweets have different part numbers (there were several p/n's for the 1-1/4" tweeter) or if the magnet diameters are different?

edit: surprise to see such early units with the vinyl "grained walnut" finish - - I would have expected these might have the real wood veneer.

Last edited:
I have an old beat up pair. they are front wired and the cabinet is wood veneer.

That sounds like the pair to have. Mine are back wired but have vinyl veneer.... Aaaaand its hideous looking.

However the speakers behind the grills are great looking and I prefer to run them without grills.

Sent from my ZTE Olympia

This is a little bit curious. Both of your speakers have very early serial numbers, but I really do not think the rear-wired tweet is a service replacement (meaning that the original tweet went bad and AR replaced it with a new one) because if so, the oval cut-out plug would still have the original wire leads on it, which obviously, it does not.

Am curious to know if the tweets have different part numbers (there were several p/n's for the 1-1/4" tweeter) or if the magnet diameters are different?

edit: surprise to see such early units with the vinyl "grained walnut" finish - - I would have expected these might have the real wood veneer.

When I have time I'll pull them and report. Agreed about the vinyl

Thanks to all for your replies and ideas.

Impressive little boxes

I did the foams and have really been enjoying the sound of these wee guys. Lots of punch and depth for such a tiny enclosure.

I'm a bit leery of removing the tweeter with the external leads for inspection and comparison to the backwired one... seems like wires could be easily broken.

I did the foams and have really been enjoying the sound of these wee guys. Lots of punch and depth for such a tiny enclosure.

I'm a bit leery of removing the tweeter with the external leads for inspection and comparison to the backwired one... seems like wires could be easily broken.

I have a nice pair of early 7's, they do surprise you with how much good AR sound they produce.

Back
Top Bottom