KLH Model 28 - Rare Find & Restoration

The assembly Line 2 is far superior to all the other assembly lines KLH had. The two little Chinese ladies really put a lot of care into their assembly. You are days ahead of the dreaded line 6 (ugh), the "apprentice" line. open mitres, mis-matched veneer, holes cut wrong, chewing gum etc. wink

The assembly Line 2 is far superior to all the other assembly lines KLH had. The two little Chinese ladies really put a lot of care into their assembly. You are days ahead of the dreaded line 6 (ugh), the "apprentice" line. open mitres, mis-matched veneer, holes cut wrong, chewing gum etc. wink

Really - great info - never heard that before. I saw the "Line 2" stamps on the insides but didn't realize there was a reputation associated. Do you know what other models were produced on Line 2?

thanks!

I will get some pictures up tomorrow. I have my switches set to the increase for acoustic projection. Normal for high frequency levels both front and back. I only notice slight differences when changing positions. The sound is just a bit brighter when I switch to increase for the front speakers. So slight that I question how much it really effects the sound.I notice a clear difference when I switch to decrease on acoustic projection.I wonder what this setting would be used for. I was given these by the owner so many years ago.have moved and brought them with me wherever I go. I have my grandmother's classical music collection on vinyl.just starting to collect new music to add to the collection, so improving my sound is the goal. My speaker covers were attached with Velcro teeth that held onto the covers.very 70s... and I always planned to replace them when I refinish the tops.

I will get some pictures up tomorrow. I have my switches set to the increase for acoustic projection. Normal for high frequency levels both front and back. I only notice slight differences when changing positions. The sound is just a bit brighter when I switch to increase for the front speakers. So slight that I question how much it really effects the sound.I notice a clear difference when I switch to decrease on acoustic projection.I wonder what this setting would be used for. I was given these by the owner so many years ago.have moved and brought them with me wherever I go. I have my grandmother's classical music collection on vinyl.just starting to collect new music to add to the collection, so improving my sound is the goal. My speaker covers were attached with Velcro teeth that held onto the covers.very 70s... and I always planned to replace them when I refinish the tops.

Thank you! This is important information you shared. Looking forward to seeing your speakers.

If I'm understanding correctly, for "acoustic projection" there are noticeable changes. When you select "decrease" it should significantly reduce the output to the front drivers while leaving the rears the same. "Increasing" acoustic projection will bring the front drivers up equal to the rear.

For "high frequency level", you say you notice very little difference in the settings?

So to start ,it feels like you are sitting in with the band as they are playing.The speakers create atmosphere. Not just sound.......but the feel that this is what the producer was hearing and was hoping the listener would experience...... the sound fills the room and is balanced almost anywhere you stand.I think I need more components. All I have is a harman/kardon avr 300 stereo receiver. I need to upgrade to optical cables.I am analog and don't think I am utilizing the component to it's full potential.that being said I have hooked up other name brand speakers, and there is no comparison .at the loudest I have ever desired to turn up the music...never have I maxed out....it seems to have no distortion or other technical terms like??? Hard to describe...Not really being technically savvy..... but I know I am spoiled with these speakers.I should take a little better care of them, but I do plan on doing nice restore on the outside someday. With the high frequency settings it seems the decrease effects the sound slightly.Normal and increase are nearly identical. Some one could switch back and forth while listening and not be able to tell what is being effected. I was unaware the decrease on acoustic projection only effected front speakers.thanks for info on that.

Attachments

• 1414276805166.jpg
    1414276805166.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 88
  • 1414276874671.jpg
    1414276874671.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 1414279426945.jpg
    1414279426945.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 67
  • 1414279550075.jpg
    1414279550075.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 88
  • 1414279710660.jpg
    1414279710660.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 68
Welcome to the 28 club!

So to start ,it feels like you are sitting in with the band as they are playing.The speakers create atmosphere. Not just sound.......but the feel that this is what the producer was hearing and was hoping the listener would experience...... the sound fills the room and is balanced almost anywhere you stand.I think I need more components. All I have is a harman/kardon avr 300 stereo receiver. I need to upgrade to optical cables.I am analog and don't think I am utilizing the component to it's full potential.that being said I have hooked up other name brand speakers, and there is no comparison .at the loudest I have ever desired to turn up the music...never have I maxed out....it seems to have no distortion or other technical terms like??? Hard to describe...Not really being technically savvy..... but I know I am spoiled with these speakers.I should take a little better care of them, but I do plan on doing nice restore on the outside someday. With the high frequency settings it seems the decrease effects the sound slightly.Normal and increase are nearly identical. Some one could switch back and forth while listening and not be able to tell what is being effected. I was unaware the decrease on acoustic projection only effected front speakers.thanks for info on that.

I too love these speakers. Sitting here listening to some light jazz through them as I type. Love the original foam grills on yours. :music::yes: Wish I could find replacements for mine. Listen to them and enjoy. They are rare birds. I'm waiting for my KLH 27 receiver to return from the shop to get it hooked back up to these.:smoke:

Thank you! This is important information you shared. Looking forward to seeing your speakers.

If I'm understanding correctly, for "acoustic projection" there are noticeable changes. When you select "decrease" it should significantly reduce the output to the front drivers while leaving the rears the same. "Increasing" acoustic projection will bring the front drivers up equal to the rear.

For "high frequency level", you say you notice very little difference in the settings?

Hi Peter,

I was wondering where you were with these. I get needing a little break from them. You put in a lot of hours working on these, but well worth it!

I look forward to seeing pics of then finished.

Glenn

Thanks Glenn - just not enough hours in the day to get to it all and a little lazy of late. Need to cut new grille backings and recover. Look to start that in the next week or so. Otherwise all done.

Very nice - thanks for posting pictures. Good to see you still have the original black foam. I found a couple sites a while back where you could order new foam and they would even cut the patterns - but it cost a fortune. I'm going to go with an oatmeal colored cloth in KLH fashion. Glenn photoshopped pictures of how it would look.

Good deal that you have the stands - I still have to build stands for mine.

It looks like you have your speakers back into corners which is how mine sounded best. They didn't sound as good away from the walls.

Acoustic projection - from my listening tests, back drivers stay unchanged, output from front drivers seems to drop about half.

I did have some tweeter distortion before the recap - really couldn't tell until I compared a recapped speaker against an original - then the distortion was very noticeable.

Thanks for confirming the results of the High Frequency Level switches - mine are the same and if I recall correctly so are the switches of the other owner - randballen.

So we have three sets of speakers where the High Frequency Level switches have little to no affect on sound. As another poster mentioned, there could be bad wire wound resistors/and or other components - I did not check mine. Six speakers that all have bad resistors seems unlikely, but maybe so. Its hard to imagine KLH would have created such an elaborate crossover with two switches that don't really do anything ....

Thanks Glenn - just not enough hours in the day to get to it all and a little lazy of late. Need to cut new grille backings and recover. Look to start that in the next week or so. Otherwise all done.

Beautiful! Better than new I'm sure.

Congrats.

Such great work on both sets of the KLH speakers. I think those light color cloth grills will be perfect.The foam covers I have are so faded they really need to be replaced.
My serial numbers are AS2801125 and 1127 . I look at your pictures and see what potential my speakers have ... i need to step up and give my little jems some love and attention....glad to have found this forum....great job once again. Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom