Pioneer SP-BS22-LR vs. Dayton Audio B652-AIR

dbarila

I'm looking for some budget bookshelf speakers and both of these seem to get good reviews. I'm just wondering if anyone has any input on these. Or has anyone had experience with both? My main use will be for my turntable.

I just wanted to say I look forward to this information as well. The few random articles I have seen online suggest that the Pioneers are better, but I have also seen at least one AK member here say that the AIRs are better.

Let's hope more info is forthcoming!

IBJamon

One review is pretty clear on their opinion:
My admiration for the B652-AIR is based on its sound quality given that it's a very inexpensive speaker. The Pioneer SP-BS22-LR bookshelf speaker is better in every way -- bass, dynamics, clarity, treble -- you name it, but it's roughly double the price of the B652-AIR. Both B652 models can play fairly loud, but sound best at softer, more moderate volumes; the SP-BS22 handles volume better. If you can afford the difference go for the SP-BS22-LR.

Thanks, that's kind of what I was thinking. I have plenty of time and I've seen people say they've got the Pioneers for $60 or $80. So I think i'm just going to keep an eye out for a good deal.

I have them both. The Daytons fit in my credenza but the Pioneers are a tad too high to fit under the upper shelf. I need to raise the shelf one inch to get the right clearance. Unfortunately the shelf is in the top adjustment holes and I would need to drill new holes. I have a bad back and knees, so doing the job will not be easy. I currently use the Pioneers in my study and alternate them with my KEF Q300's. Frankly, you can't go wrong with any of them, they all sound good with the Kef in the lead and the others in a close match for 2nd place.

Check YouTube for a guy that goes by "Z Reviews" - he has done extensive reviews of the various Dayton iterations and their competitors.

I found the hype of the stock Pioneer seriously overrated. After modifying the heck out of them they were much better, but not a keeper. I can't imagine the Dayton is any better.

Back
Top Bottom