Smaller Advent GW Rescue

I enjoyed reading this thread. I have a pair of SAs that I had refoamed a couple of years ago that have been in storage since then. I'm going to pull them out and give them a listen tonight.

Here's a photo of my find from way back. It has since been re-foamed and given new caps.

I see so many with green tweeters. Are red one's unusual or is it a 50/50 depending on manufacture date?

The latest ones from goodwill are green. I have a pair of functional oranges already. I can't wait to get the greens up and running so I can compare the two. But I have a few questions:

The capacitors in the crossovers appear to be a 12uF and a 8 or maybe a 6. Can't quite tell because they are so old and the paint is hard to read. I can't find caps in those values, but the good ol Shady'o'Rack has nichicons, really, in 1,2.2,4.7, and 10 that I could use to arrive at approximately the right values. But how do you connect the caps together? Do you solder the leads end to end like a train or twist them together like a bunch of dynamite? Or does it matter? OR, even better, is there an AK'er known to stock weird value caps?

Last edited:
I'd recommend ordering the crossover caps from Parts Express or Madisound. You need to use non-polarized caps in the crossover circuit, chances are the RS caps you're looking at are polarized (with one end marked as negative). I like the Dayton Poly-Pro crossover caps from Parts Express but you could go with regular non-polarized electrolytics too. Either way they'll have the right uF value for your project (or darn close to it).

Smaller Advents were originally built with the green tweeters and my theory is they made the cones green for easy identification to differentiate from the normal orange tweeters used in the regular large Advents.

The magnet was originally smaller in the Smaller advent to match the efficiency with the woofer. Although the magnet is smaller, it's not that much different looking that a smaller magnet unit could not have accidently gotten into a regular Advent if it had an orange cone. The green cone made the selection easy at a glance.

Later, sometime in 1975, Advent began putting large magnet tweeters in the Smaller Advents. Why, it's not really clear. They may have run out of small magnets or, more likely, there was a growing feeling that the smaller magnet tweeter was not as good a match as they had originally thought.

So anyway, they were now putting the large magnet tweeters in both models and using up all the green cones which is why you see large Advents from late 1975 with green cones but large magnets, of course.

Doug

Nice find, very easy refoam, killer small speaker, sounds better than it has any right to.

End to end capacitor hook up is in series and will decrease the combine capacitance. Twisted end together is parallel and increases the capacitance to the sum of the values. But agree to get single caps of the correct value and non-polarized. You can parallel in some small value bypass caps if you subscribe to its benefits.

Back
Top Bottom