Who else here runs vintage Technics speakers?

Suicide Bobb

Technics Nut-Hugger :)
Currently, my favorite kind of speakers would be vintage Technics, by a longshot :) After I got my first pair of SB-6000's, I was hooked. Next, I picked up their bigger brother, the SB-7000A's! What a great combo. It gets better, too. I have the chance to pick up another pair of SB-7000A's and a pair of SB-5000A's :banana: I also have a pair of SB-F1's, and again have the chance at getting a pair of F2's :thmbsp:

I plan to one day own their whole lineup of good speakers, including the M-series (M1, M2, M3), F series, and of course, the SB-xxxx series. I absolutely love their sound, it is perfect in my opinion. Their imaging is spectacular. Best of all, they are so cool looking!

Anybody else run these and love them? I have not heard of anyone who doesn't like them. I would imagine the ones who don't just say so because of the bad reputation Technics set for themselves later on.

I would give SB-M10000's a shot in my system. Possibly even a pair of SB-M1000s or SB-M800. I don't expect they'd sound much like the Technics you are used to, though.

I think this is kind of what Mr. Newman is gettin' at...
http://www.audio-heritage.jp/TECHNICS/speaker/index.html

sb-10000.JPG

http://www.audio-heritage.jp/TECHNICS/speaker/sb-10000.JPG (in case the hotlink doesn't work...)

I wouldn't mind hearing the speakers that mhardy posted, but this was the series I'd be most interested in.

276.jpg

bild

and especially the SB-M10000

P0001069.JPG

speakers1ur9.jpg

612455_1.jpg

Hey, where did you get a picture of my log cabin?

:D

Remember, Technics speakers are genetically related to Panasonic Thrusters...

I have SB-501's, the drivers/xovers transplanted into differant cabs. Sound great!
DC

A month or two ago I heard a pair of SB-6000s connected to about 15k worth of source and amplification. They were in a big open space at a store, a terrible room really where a lot of speakers I've heard have fallen flat...and they sounded fantastic. They definitely had a 'sound' to them, but I liked it. The big Cantons that went in afterwords, because they didn't want me auditioning a turntable on the Technics, were terrible in that room. I've heard other Cantons that sounded very good, but these particular ones were easily bested for enjoyability by the SB-6000s. I think they actually have the Technics in the window of the store now.

SB501's

Here are pics of one of the SB201's I transplanted to differant cabs. They sound very good! Sad to say they gey vety little play time.....but when I do they are loads of fun.
DC

Attachments

• IMG_6338.jpg
    IMG_6338.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_6339.jpg
    IMG_6339.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_6340.jpg
    IMG_6340.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 233
Happy owner of a pair of sb7000a's here. I'm currently driving them with a restored KA907 kenwood 150 watt integrated. This is one very nice sounding combo. I like unique sounding speakers and these phase array technics fit that description quite well. One of this winter's projects is to recap that complex time delay crossover. I'm wondering if anyone has done this and what their impressions are?

Happy owner of a pair of sb7000a's here. I'm currently driving them with a restored KA907 kenwood 150 watt integrated. This is one very nice sounding combo. I like unique sounding speakers and these phase array technics fit that description quite well. One of this winter's projects is to recap that complex time delay crossover. I'm wondering if anyone has done this and what their impressions are?

Looks like we will be recapping ours together! They are VERY complicated, there are more components in there than in most peoples amps! :D

I also have a pair of SB-440's, if I didn't already mention. Like the 7000's, they don't have the typical port noise of ported speakers, and the bass is quite good. The horn is a true full bodied cast horn. It does have the typical qualities of a horn though, meaning harsh but accurate and efficient. Should calm down with some tubes! Also, the tweeter is rather plain, but it is tucked away so nobody can see it! I absolutely LOVE the looks of these, they match the F1's and my ESS Evaluators very well!

And I just can't believe how much power my 7000's can handle! I threw 200 watts at them, and they laughed at it. Even on the most bass heavy song, it was still a joke to them. I'm having the hardest time finding a good amp to power them without breaking the budget!

And yes, the high notes of the 6000's are quite phenomenal. I think its high range sounds better than the 7000's personally, but maybe their crossovers are in better condition. This is despite the fact that the 6000's tweeters have been replaced with Seleniums. They are even more airy than the 7000's, and more fun to listen to. But when it comes to bringing the house down, the 7k's kill it.

Have the 6000a's.
Great speakers, except I'm waiting for an original tweeter, suppooosedly coming from Japan. The X-overs in them are the most professional, slickest looking, ones I've ever seen. Can't wait to get them back to original. The JBL replacement tweet just doesn't do it.

Have the 6000a's.
Great speakers, except I'm waiting for an original tweeter, suppooosedly coming from Japan. The X-overs in them are the most professional, slickest looking, ones I've ever seen. Can't wait to get them back to original. The JBL replacement tweet just doesn't do it.

My Vifa replacement tweet's do a fabulous job, but they don't look quite as nice as the originals.

The crossovers on them are very nice. Technics used to have astonishing build quality. Love the insulation they used. If you think the crossover on the 6000s look nice, wait till you see the 7000s!

Currently running my 7000's with a Technics V something 98 integrated @ ~ 115 wpc. One main tweet is blown so I'm using a set of VMPS ambience ribbons (20ohm) in parallel with the SB's. The VMPS sit well where the original tweets were and I have a pair of 6 ohm cheapo ribbons stuck to the side of the mid cage pointing to the listening space running through the crossover.

They do pump out some clean bass, one of the tighter sounding pair of speakers I have.

Currently running my 7000's with a Technics V something 98 integrated @ ~ 115 wpc. One main tweet is blown so I'm using a set of VMPS ambience ribbons (20ohm) in parallel with the SB's. The VMPS sit well where the original tweets were and I have a pair of 6 ohm cheapo ribbons stuck to the side of the mid cage pointing to the listening space running through the crossover.

They do pump out some clean bass, one of the tighter sounding pair of speakers I have.

Which is very surprising, considering they are ported! Most ported speakers I deal with sound super sloppy in comparison.

Mine came as a package deal along with some vintage Kenwood gear. I almost left them behind mainly because of the Technics name. Wow am I glad now that I brought them home. I hooked them up and was amazed and they haven't come out of rotation and probably won't. I won't even mention the names of some of the very nice speakers that the 7000's have been taking all of the playing time away from.
Yes that surely is one very complicated looking crossover. I honestly don't know if I'm up to the task of re-capping it but I do know someone who is. I'm hoping for even better things out of an already fine sounding speaker.

Mine came as a package deal along with some vintage Kenwood gear. I almost left them behind mainly because of the Technics name. Wow am I glad now that I brought them home. I hooked them up and was amazed and they haven't come out of rotation and probably won't. I won't even mention the names of some of the very nice speakers that the 7000's have been taking all of the playing time away from.
Yes that surely is one very complicated looking crossover. I honestly don't know if I'm up to the task of re-capping it but I do know someone who is. I'm hoping for even better things out of an already fine sounding speaker.

Wow, lucky you!

I cannot take them out of my front stage. The only speaker that I have had that compares to them are my Sony SSU-1800's. They were also sold in the mid 70s, for around $800-$1000 new (around $2k in today's $$$?). They are much warmer, but nearly as accurate. The Sony's sound sooooo smooth, and can handle the same amount of power. They are also sealed, as opposed to the ported Techies.

Back
Top Bottom