KLH Model 28 - Rare Find & Restoration

peterfranks

I pulled out of Goodwill today what I believe are fairly scarce, even rare, KLH Model Twenty-Eight Speakers. Officially called "Multidirectional Acoustic Suspension Loudspeaker System". There are only a handful of posts on AK regarding this speaker and no pictures. Searching the web, very little on them - only snippets. So I'm going to attempt to make this the KLH Model Twenty-Eight thread. I will up-load pictures thru every step of the restoration process and of course will welcome any and all input - especially from folks that own these speakers.

So here is the initial first pass on these:

- overall great condition - walnut veneer over particle board. I'm guessing I'll be able to get out 90%+ of the scratches and wear. No missing veneer, no busted up corners or edges.
- All woofers in great condition - all cloth surrounds intact - no tears or rips. Will need re-doping.
- All tweeters appear original - tweeter + woofers on one speaker all work. All tweeters on other speaker are out - likely bad caps or maybe not.
- Cross-overs will get recapped - more pictures and info on that to follow.
- All speaker grills present but they appear to have been recovered with a velour-type covering. I will be looking for replacement material for grills.
- No pedestals - there are mounting holes on the bottom for the pedestals but those were no where to be found at GW. I might go back over the next couple of days and see if they surface.
- They weigh in at 64 lbs each.

Last edited:
you can right click on the flicker image - select from any of the possible sizes - i choose large - the right click on that image and copy image location.

next go to advance when you post - click on the image icon and paste the link --

I also download the "large" image to my downloads folder on my hard drive and use manage attachements to upload the image which appears as a clickable thumbnail on the bottom of the window....

I'll demonstrate

this is a sample image...

remember youi have to click on the go advance button - not quick reply

10458518196_89d0c9bda4_b.jpg

and next i'll save the "large" image to my hard drive and add it as an attachment....

Attachments

• test one2.jpg
    test one2.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 99
Front of speakers. Side doors on right side open to reveal toggle switches for tweeter settings.

12707867195_d54a74e07b_c.jpg

12708335534_eaabf7b854_c.jpg

Last edited:
More pictures as I was able to look them over at home.

The serial numbers - any interpretation?

12708340514_6b872bbab3_c.jpg

12708341764_7c1ae23560_c.jpg

12708054183_fb468a40fa_c.jpg

12708057313_f3be39ae2c_c.jpg

Last edited:
Those are very nice speakers from the looks of them. I don't believe I've ever laid my eyes on a pair of them.

The thrift stores in my locale have stopped putting good collectible speakers out for sale, or the general public has stopped donating them.

Congrats on a nice snag.

Wayne

Those are very nice speakers from the looks of them. I don't believe I've ever laid my eyes on a pair of them.

The thrift stores in my locale have stopped putting good collectible speakers out for sale, or the general public has stopped donating them.

Congrats on a nice snag.

Wayne

Thanks for your help on the photo posting!

I was just in this store two days ago - almost didn't stop but it was on the way home tonight. I figured I'd do a quick run through.

Super cool! Never seen those before. Really like the groovy purple grill covers. My Model 30s have rainbow grills.

Wow! You lucked out. Timing is everything they say, and yours was spot on!

I love those, and haven't seen them either. I'll be following this thread for sure.

Looking forward to lots of pics as well as your impression of their sound once you are done with the recap and have the surrounds sealed. I strongly suggest only using the sealer vintage-ar sells. It's the closest sealer to the factory stuff you'll get.

Glenn

Very cool! They'd be fun to put up against Allison, AR, and Bose speakers of the era, as you can tell they were trying to compete with other models of the time.

Wow! You lucked out. Timing is everything they say, and yours was spot on!

I love those, and haven't seen them either. I'll be following this thread for sure.

Looking forward to lots of pics as well as your impression of their sound once you are done with the recap and have the surrounds sealed. I strongly suggest only using the sealer vintage-ar sells. It's the closest sealer to the factory stuff you'll get.

Glenn

Hello Glenn - Thanks. I have vintage-ar dope in my shop :yes: Looks like I'll need to order up some more.

I have a feeling a lot of folks haven't seen these before. It's going to be a fun project.

Back
Top Bottom