Replace Polk RTA 15tl tweeter with peerless?

goochos

I recently purchased a pair of Polk RTA 15 Tl speakers and they have the sl2000 tweeters. I am sure the sl200's were installed by the previous owner, as I know that isnt what they originally came with.I just blew one of the tweeters. Can the peerless tweeeter be used as a replacement? I have a peerless sitting here,but notice that the faceplate screw hole pattern isn't right.I tried switching faceplates but the peerless wont work with the sl2000 faceplate.Is it safe to use the peerless in the rta15tl?

That Peerless is not the tweet which the speaker was designed to use. Polk Audio does sell a drop in replacement tweeter for the SL-2000, the RDO-194. I think they are something like $65, or if you are a member of the Club Polk audio forum, they can be had for $48.
I have them in both my RTA 11T and 5 JR+ vintage Polks. It is a much better, mellower tweet than the SL-2000. Or I have a few SL-2000 laying around here if you are wanting to stay original.

Thanks for the offer. I found the original sl-3000's that they were supposed to have. They sound good so far ,but its too late to do a good test.

The Peerless tweeter will work okay.
Going to the expense of the of the "replacement" tweeter may or may not sound better.
The "replacement" is probably a fine tweeter but I don't believe it actually replaces the SL-3000 any more than the Peerless.
I think any tweeter in the RTA 15tl is crossed over way too low and a good reason why the SL-3000 doesn't survive.

How do you like my old polks ? I took those sl2000's out of a pair of sda2b's. Join the polk forum and you can get 2 of the new silk domes for $96.00 shipped.

Or upgrade to TL mode with RDO-198 + 5.8uf capacitor.

Peerless is not a replacement for sl2000, different inductor, different size hole.
But work it will. ;)

I dropped in some RDO-198s in mine and they rock. Been a few years now and no issues. I run them with an MC2300.

Or upgrade to TL mode with RDO-198 + 5.8uf capacitor.

Peerless is not a replacement for sl2000, different inductor, different size hole.
But work it will. ;)

Sounds like I need to box these sl-3000's up that I just installed before I blow them huh?This way down the road I may have the only pair with the sl300s they originally came with,LOL.

I will look into the RDO-198 + 5.8uf capacitor. Where do I ad the capacitor? Does this keep em from blowing?

Thanks for all the input guys?

Back
Top Bottom