Smaller Advent GW Rescue

SierraBravo

Jesus Built My Turntable
Smaller Advent GW Rescue--now resto thread, PLZ READ TO END

From down the isle at Goodwill yesterday I knew my eyes fell on a pair of vintage Advents. I raced over to look at the tag. It said $20 for the pair and the woofers need refoaming—which I knew without even taking off the grilles. Underneath the dirty but original-looking grille cloth I found some green fried egg tweeters and factory spitwad dust caps on the woofers. So far so good. I spun them around to find the paperwork still stapled to the back. Awesome. The card with the serial number was missing from one so I can't tell if they are sequential serial numbers, but I don't really care anyway. I told the girl at the checkout this may be my last time shopping here because I was certain my wife would kill me when I came home with yet another pair of speakers. Later my wife "pointed out" that I have no less than nine sets of speakers all over the house. My count of "sets" differs from hers, and I noted the two full home theater set ups in our bedroom and living room count as two. I did concede the "unused" pairs in the living room, kitchen, extra bedroom and two different hallways :dunno:

So as you already know, I bought them and rushed home. I dragged out a spare receiver and CD player and hooked them up to see if all the drivers worked. One speaker was fine, the woofer ok on the other but the tweeter not functioning. Before sinking into despair, I pulled out my iPhone, put a 2500 Hz tone on a signal gen app and hung the speaker wire directly on the leads to the tweeter in question. To my relief she whistled at me. So I guess the crossovers just need to be rebuilt. The next pair of speakers I refoam will be my fifth (I have a pair of Advent Legacy speakers to do, plus an extra pair of Legacy woofers). The crossovers will be my first attempt at anything to do with components. I'll be anxious to see what these things sound like when rehabbed. I have another pair of Smaller Advent that have the orange fried eggs.

Here are some pictures. As a buddy of mine says, I just couldn't let them sit there. I'm up to professional results on the refoaming, but any advice on the crossovers would be welcomed. Before anyone says so, I am aware there are sticky threads about caps and crossovers and I will read those before proceeding.

For $20 I feel like these are a score, even though I already have some. Maybe when they're done I'll do the stack thing with both pairs together. I'm imagining my Technics SL-5200>Marantz 1030 (w/pre-outs)>HK Citation 19>double Smaller Advent. Can't wait to hear that.

Cheers,
SB

For some reason it will only take one file attachment. I'll try to put the other pics in a subsequent post.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Original paper.

Never experienced this pic posting problem. Quite a PITA. Only letting me attach a single thumbnail to each post.

At any rate, those are them.

SB

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 70
Good grab, basically you'll have $45 in them after refoam and recapping, well worth the effort!

Score indeed. They are on great overall condition. These are highly regarded, and I like the stacking idea. I've never heard these but hope to someday.

Cheers, Glenn

You may find serial number stickers under the woofers.

I have spare nameplates if you need a set. PM me.

Small Advents

Nice find. Have a pair myself and am amazed at how good music sounds through them. Hooked up to a Sansui TA 500.

Best,
Dave

For $20 I would have dragged those home, wife approval or not. Good find.

Why do those things with the grills off always look like they were built by some drunk in his garage? ;)

Good deal; you are gunna love em. Mine did not need any work as I got them from Austin's newest hi-fi vintage shop and any work needed doing I guess was taken care of. Yah--like 250 or 300 bucks.

You may find serial number stickers under the woofers.

I have spare nameplates if you need a set. PM me.

Thanks. I would love a pair of two of badges. I'll certainly look for serial numbers once I get them under the knife.

SB

nice find! did you find then at the GW on 41 in PC?

No, the GW in Port Charlotte rarely has anything of interest, although I did pick up a Dual 1228 there for $10 once. Needs lots of work, but may come in handy one day. The new SA's came from the Goodwill in North Port, but I'd stay away from there if I were you :D

Lots of $$ in Sarasota Co. Your GWs up there should be good too. Love that GW bookstore on Bee Ridge.

SB

Good little bookshelf speakers. I have two pair doing HT duty in the bedroom hooked up to a Marantz SR780 5.1 receiver. No need for a sub woof with these. :thmbsp:

I have a set of the SAs currently on lone to someone with a set of OLAs who wants to test my opinion that they are the better of the two in the midrange. I recently sold my OLAs but the SAs are on the do not sell list.

I located a pair at GW last yr and after refoaming they currently rest inverted on topics some OLA's.

Spitwad woofer impresses for it size and being suspended. Fried Green Egg Tweet has a smaller magnet they the Red and is not as dynamic as the red imho.

Good score.

Back
Top Bottom