Focal speakers any good?

BillWojo

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
In a lot of audio equipment that I picked up last week was a case of 6 Focal 5N412 RIBON speakers. They are used, probably pulled from a job site. Looks like they were used outdoors as the cone has a cover on it. Included were some NIB enclosures for ceiling mounting and some sort of control panel. One of the speakers is damaged but the other 5 may be good, have to test them. Are these any good for anything?
Thanks

BillWojo

Thanks but I don't know if these things are junk or decent quality. The build quality seems decent enough, diecast aluminum frames and all. Would they be good for a speaker project?
Thanks

BillWojo

In a lot of audio equipment that I picked up last week was a case of 6 Focal 5N412 RIBON speakers. They are used, probably pulled from a job site. Looks like they were used outdoors as the cone has a cover on it. Included were some NIB enclosures for ceiling mounting and some sort of control panel. One of the speakers is damaged but the other 5 may be good, have to test them. Are these any good for anything?
Thanks

BillWojo

The Focal 5N412 is a very high quality speaker. But even the best speaker ages. Check the back for manufactureing date. The rubber surround can easily give 10 plus years of good sound. In a good environment, 15 or more years is possible. Eventually, the rubber surround will loose resiliance. A good surround will look round and very full semi-circle. When it starts to loose resiliance, you can easily see the surround slightly flattened. Should that be the case, it is time to recone with a new set of surround. You can find recone kit for the Focal 5N412 very easily from Ebay seller in Europe.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom