Kenwood Basic C2

Hi Raddek,

You can bypass it. I've done it to a broken balance pot in a Yamaha amp. You need to know the end to end resistance of the pot and how it's hooked up. Two resistors and a little soldering should do it. You can download the service manual here:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2873770&postcount=16

I got a C2 last spring but haven't used it much yet. Guess I should give it a spin as it seems to be well regarded.

John

Hi nerdorama,

Thanks for the manual, I been searching for this for a while now finally I got a copy.

I have trouble with my C2 that I was able to fixed, one channel went out but the unit work when mono button was switched. The problem was the balance pot , just to share.

Regards
unmibh

Jake and John, Thanks so much for the owners and service manuals. Just scored a C2 on the 'bay and really looking forward to firing it up.

Fantastic karma here!

I have an issue with my Kenwood Basic C2. It seems the balance knob is wearing out, as there is constant static through the right speaker and it intermittently fades in and out without me touching it. Now, if I were to turn the balance knob while music is playing, the right channel scratches. If I were to do the same thing but with no music playing, no static comes through the speakers. I've tried repeatedly cleaning the potentiometer with De-oxide/lubricant, but nothing fixes it. So, do you all think the potentiometer is actually bad ? Is there a way I could just bypass it all-together ? I don't use the balance knob anyway so it wouldn't make me cry if I never had to balance the speakers anymore. Thanks for any replies!

Hi Raddek and All. I'm having the identical problem with my C2.
Identical. After being noisy on the rt channel, in addition
after a bit, R channel quite playing completely.
I have the schematic now, thanks again for everyones help.
Did anyone ever discover a fix. I can check into it bue
would feel safer with a little experience or adult supervision.
Thanks anybody.
DaveS

Basic C2 Balance Control - Need Help with Bypass!

Could someone please walk me/us through the procedure for bypassing the balance control?

Some previous posts indicated that it could just be a matter of soldering a bridge between two of the lugs, but apparently it's more than that. The balance control is mounted to a small PCB and doesn't look like any balance control I'm used to seeing.

Thanks in advance for any help!

***bump***

Could someone please walk me/us through the procedure for bypassing the balance control?

Some previous posts indicated that it could just be a matter of soldering a bridge between two of the lugs, but apparently it's more than that. The balance control is mounted to a small PCB and doesn't look like any balance control I'm used to seeing.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Probably should have started a new thread. But does anyone know how to jump the balance control?

Thanks

Thank you Ben and Jake for this thread. (I know it’s ancient) A friend of mine just picked up a C-2 pre, and the M1D Pow. I sent him these pics of the manual.
:)

I Know...

I know this thread is old however I was quite helpful to me on a few issues I had with my C 1 and helped me make a decision or two so thanks to all involved ! With best regards, vsat88.

Hi y'all,

Yes, the C2 is a very nice unit. Sometimes I use mine late at night by itself (w/headphones). Sometimes I use it with the M2A, another real find IMHO.

I joined AK earlier this year as a Sansui lover. Had a new one way back when. Bought it back and still have a pair of original speakers (SP35000).

Now I'm also liking what Kenwood has (had) available.

Variety is the spice of life :yes:

Happy listening to all,
samosui

In 1988 I had to choose between a new Kenwood C2B/M2B & the recently discontinued Sansui B-2201 and the control amp that went with it. The Kenwood gear was about $750 and the Sansui gear was $1100. I had to call a Sansui rep in Dallas, TX, and he said he could get the units for me. I did like the Kenwood gear, but I realized that the Sansui would have been much better. That was one of the best units Sansui ever made, and Sansui trumps Kenwood IMHO. I also saw this same Sansui unit(s) at the PX at Kadena Air Base in Okinawa, and the total cost for both was around $750.00.

I also had a problem after about a year with a capacitor in the C2B unit. The cap timed the 3 or 5 second delay (CR time constant) before the amp went to "ready". It was bad, so it never charged to cross the threshold of the comparator to go to "ready". I bought the tech manuals (long gone), and fixed it myself.

Well, crap. I did the balance bypass, minus the resistors. It worked great for the last few weeks. All of a sudden... nothing. I tried turning it on today and I'm getting nothing at all. I wonder if it's something else, or if it's related to the balance pot again? Guess I'll crack it open and see.

Well, it is suddenly working again. I gave it one last try, before pulling it from service. It does seem to have some finicky rca outputs... might have some cold solder joints back there?

Well, it is suddenly working again. I gave it one last try, before pulling it from service. It does seem to have some finicky rca outputs... might have some cold solder joints back there?

That sounds about right. I had several cold solder issues with some of my Kenwood Basic amps at the back near the RCA connectors.

Merry Christmas all!!

Time to revive an old thread with some new questions.

I just dug out my C2 so I could try ripping some vinyl and use it's Tape Outs to source my signal and ran into an issue or two.

Of course, one channel was out so I figured it was the Balance pot, BUT while listening to my rip on one channel, the other one shot in suddenly. Massaging the Volume pot had it come and go, so it seems to me that the Volume pot is the culprit, not the Balance, which doesn't seem to get crackly at all if I work it while the volume Pot is "on a clean spot" :D

Anybody else run into this???

Also, while digging around, I found a thread with some rebuild material and it seems the OP amps are socket for easy replacement. Anybody have any must do upgrades they want to share with replacing the old OP amps??

FWIW, this preamp sounds really nice now that it is working. couple that with the excellent phono stage w/ MC capability AND a wide ranging set of inputs and out puts, this could once again become my daily driver.

Back
Top Bottom