New to me 500 amp! now what tuner?

falcon377

Hey all, Just got a new to me 500 Supreme amp. Fantastic sounding!! All that I thought it would be, and more!!
Now I would like to get a tuner that will match up as far as looks go. I know the 600T is the main choice, but, way out of my budget for a tuner, that I will barely use. I need one that is the same width, seems as though some of the Kenwood tuners are not as wide as some other Kenwood tuners.. So does anyone have a list? Or some good recommendations?

Thanks all, I will try to add some pics of my new 500. Man I love this one, sounds way better than any of the other 70's amps I have owned, and I owned alot!!

Attachments

• kenwood supreme 035.jpg
    kenwood supreme 035.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 51
  • kenwood supreme 100.jpg
    kenwood supreme 100.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 61
Short list here of the ones that are the same width. 600T recommended, KT 815, KT 917, KT 615 same width,
The 8300 is slightly narrower but looks and acts for that matter a lot like the 600T

No brainer. 600T.

1353174490388.jpg

Good eye! Yep, it's rock solid compared to the typical '70s racks. The whole shebang in the pic is sitting in the garage right now. Need to do sumpin' with it all...

I just bought another 600t this week, nice condition, It just landed at the FedEx station in KC this evening. I guess it will sit there all weekend dang it. I got a descent deal I thought $470 shipped. supposedly serviced and aligned too. I have an 8300 and a rackmount kt815 but I hate to sell any of them. Glenn do you align tuners?

I will attest to the greatness of the 600T. Even if it takes time to save up the money this tuner will amaze you!

Guess what, Fed Ex delivered my 600T today, they run on saturdays. I unplugged my 8300 and swapped in the 600T. Initial thoughts are better dynamic range and maybe deeper bass. It's heavy and just in beautiful shape. I need to remove the faceplate and clean both sides of the glass and I will most likely replace the blue tinted bulbs with new clear bulbs, possibly some warm LED. Both tuners are awesome units but the KT 8300 will cost about 1/3. I'd say save the money up for a while and buy the matching tuner, the 600T

a properly aligned KT8300 will run neck - neck with the Supreme. The Kt7500 is a close second for the price also ..
I have 2 8300's and a 9900 that are fantastic for dynamic range and sensitivity. Either one/s are excellent. The match would be the Supreme tuner.
John M

Thanks all! The 600T is the one I would prefer, it just does not make sense to me dollar wise.. I live in Pittsburgh, and the FM here sucks! So I know I will not use it much, if at all. I just want the tuner to sit and look pretty with the amp. Old silver face amps look much better with tuner on top!! I will let know what get, when I get it.

Thanks all!

Well I just scored a KT-615 with a broke power switch. It looks good and will work for now. It at least buy's me some time to save up, and find a 600T.
Does anyone know where I can get a power switch for the KT-615? Also got a KR-6030 in the deal. Will post a thread on it later.

Ebay is the spot to find parts but you could just leave the tuner on and power it on with the amplifier. I have a KT 815 here also and it's a very nice tuner and very similar to the 615. I think a power switch off of a KX 1060/2060 could work as well. If you ever do upgrade you could easily get your money back from the 615

For many decades now in the audio business I have always told people when asked what my favorite piece of audio gear was and I always stated that the 600T was the finest engineered piece of audio gear I had ever owned. I would still like to see every 500/600 amp mated to a 600T.

Back
Top Bottom