the future of tuners?

bolero

with competition from streaming radio, and noise from HD radio causing problems with traditional tuners, what does everyone see in the future for tuners?

is AM/FM radio in any danger of extinction?

I don't want to buy an expensive high end tuner from yesteryear only to have it become a useless boat anchor

that little Sony HD tuner with the mods looks promising, but it's now out of production?

if so, what other products are out there, to fill the niche?

curious about people's thoughts...

thx!!

It is a fair question. But not to worry.

Just when you think something will be extinct, it carries on. AM Radio was once the household means of communication, news, and entertainment. Then came FM and Television. AM was said to soon be extinct. But Car Radios and portable AM radios gave it new life, and it still exists today 100 years later. My vintage Tuner from 1981 has AM as a choice. I'm sure yours does too. Not bad for a 100 plus year old technology.

I still listen to my tuners, although no where near as often as I used to. In Hawaii, or even Florida where I am located, I can't receive what I would consider "great" Jazz stations from terrestrial radio, so I am forced to Stream. I thank goodness that Streaming is available in these areas. In Seattle, I listen almost exclusively to my FM tuner unless I'm spinning Vinyl. Why? Because I love the local Jazz station.

I don't think that in our lifetimes we will see terrestrial radio go the way of the Dodo. Tuners are useful devices for most Audiophiles, and for some, the primary source of their music and news. On the extreme end of this, I have a friend that boast that he has NO Televisions in his house. Not one. Nor does he stream video from the internet. His only source of entertainment is FM radio. I've been to his home. He's not lying. His is a rare case, sure, but it demonstrates that FM Tuners are still a hot commodity to some people.

Even my S.O. puts on the kitchen Kloss Model 88 Stereo table radio and listens to FM when she's cooking or just hanging out, rather than listening to her iPod. I listen to FM in the car more than I do Sirius Satellite because I'm curious about stations as I drive around the country. Picnics, beach parties, barbeque cookouts, Bars and millions of other social events still just flip on FM radio for music. It's easy and convenient.

Streaming and digital music have taken a big bite out of AM/FM Tuners. However, they are not going anywhere anytime soon.

oh, I missed that other thread!

thx for the link!

Billybatts, I haven't owned a television in about 8 years :banana: I think I threw it out the window after a particularly annoying commercial & never looked back....if I had a gun I'd have pulled an Elvis on it :thmbsp:

I do watch DVD's etc on my PC

but my main source of entertainment is audio

cheers

We've had this conversation before:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=507976

Although the audioasylum statement was retracted, the message remains: the market is getting fragmented to the extent that unless you are a national advertiser with the money to put into network advertising across the nation, your choices are rather murky. The radio medium is getting so balkanized that a local advertiser should never pay much more than lunch money for an ad on a radio station.

When there were few stations, an ad was worth a lot. With more stations, the collapse of the market for individual stations and the reduction in value to the advertiser may torpedo radio before the poor programming does. Market research into what people are listening to is inaccurate - how grossly inaccurate is a matter of conjecture, but I change presets often on the car radio and I don't keep a log of how long I listen to any particular station and neither does anyone else.

Last edited:
I had an aunt who was a radio personality in Edmonton during the 1940's. She had great stories to tell about the business. When good electronic phonograph technology began to become affordable in that era there was talk about how it would lessen the impact of radio in a similar way that televisions impacted movie theatres.

Rock and Roll, and its cult of the DeeJay showed that to be false. Radio has too much too offer from a realtime human contact aspect to completely die out.

Maybe radios/tuners will be like turntables: there will be groups who are so convinced of its importance that they will be catered to by niche markets.

I have visions of a post-apocalyptic Wolfman Jack broadcasting from a half buried bunker, in the rubble of what's left of our civilization

and cockroaches
No, Zombies...

That way all the cool buildings would be intact. And the barbed wire fence would come in handy.

watrous_02.jpg

If I ever won a lottery I would buy this and set up a radio station/recording studio -- out in the middle of nowhere...

(Apologies to my Saskatchewan cousins)

Silicon Labs would not have invested tons of $ to design a single chip tuner (Si4735,Si4770) if the AM/FM market was to be extinct in short order.
I believe FM is still alive in Europe. DAB does not seen to be killing it.
As for Sony, they probably dropped their tuner as technology changes and there are now more cost effective solutions. Could be that their semi suppliers dropped the products, hard to say for sure.
In Canada, they are still adding new FM stations, so FM lives well in Canada. For the US, well that is a whole different story.
Look at HD-FM, I do not know of one Canadian station using this technology. I hope it dies a quick death just like Dolby-FM, AM-stereo and it passes overhead of us slow to adopt to change Canucks.
IMO, streaming audio is not as good as a can get on FM.
I still am seeing some stations in Canada, just getting on board with RDBS, the wolf (CKWF,101.5MHz) in Peterborough for instance.
I don't want to buy an expensive high end tuner from yesteryear only to have it become a useless boat anchor
I would worry a lot more about a unobtainable part going bad in a old tuner before I worried about FM dying. I just picked up a Crown FM1 tuner because of the above. I did this since I am able to work around the controller failure and the Crown was almost a $1K tuner in its days.
I want to compare the Crown to a design I did with a Si4735. I am leaning towards the Si4735 as a better performer, but we will see once I can do some testing.
DSP's are perfect technology in order to be able to filter out noise sources that are present in FM transmissions. Something an analog tuner would be very difficult to achieve.
FM lives without worry in Canada I can see in my crystal ball!

Rick

Last edited:
It is not going anywhere. Home HiFi tuners are nowhere near what the best of the oldies were until you get into super dollar options.

It is not going anywhere. Home HiFi tuners are nowhere near what the best of the oldies were until you get into super dollar options.
I have to respectfully disagree, unless you have tried a tuner based on the Si4735 or Si4770 chips.
I have bought a dead Crown FM1 that I will use, (after I do a mod to fudge out the old dead GI controller), to try yet another tuner to compare the performance against the Si4735 design, stay tuned :)
The Crown is up there in design for that era, 5 RF varactor tuned RF filters, 2 RF gain stages using 3N204, jfet mixer, good IF stage, Hitachi HA11225/11223 etc.
I know you can find other tuners using more exotic ckts which can be better but I am out to prove a cheap chip can compare with some of the old big $ tuners.

The Crown is one of the few exceptions here. The FM Two is even better. That is one of the better digitals ever made. However, do remember that all that display circuitry and PLL synthesizer wizardry needs extremely high amounts of shielding to not cause RF interference. Crown did shield their tuners well. But this method adds a little more noise floor than the older tuners. But how much depends on the quality of the design and engineering and the components used. People in and near the transmitters they wish to receive hear it less, those like myself in rural areas need every last measure of sensitivity, selectivity, and low noise floor we can muster. Especially when we are trying to fetch a weak signal from that 50-90 miles or more out.

Last edited:
The only tuner I have used with the same sort of design principles as Rick's (i.e. DSP-based) is the Sony XDR-F1HD. It is the best DXer you can get due to it's razor-sharp selectivity, easily allowing you to hear weak DX 100 kHz away from a local station, and has clever adaptive noise-reduction techniques to eliminate hiss in stereo and multipath distortion. However, all that processing results in a flat, lifeless sound on FM, like a mid-fi MP3. FM doesn't sound like high-quality analogue any more, just a fatiguing digital stream.

From what I've read on Brian Beezley's and Mike William's modifications it seems that the sound can be improved, but how much damage has already been done by all that digital processing? An old tuner like the Yamaha T-2 may not have the raw DX performance but the sound is in a different league. It's so much more vivid, alive and real-sounding than the XDR. For this reason I only tend to use the XDR during the summer Sporadic E season.

Now if we could have a tuner with the DX performance of the XDR but the sound quality of the T-2...

Regards,
Nick

I recently bought myself a Magnum Dynalab FT-11 tuner. I love it. There's something about analogue that's a warmer and richer sound than digital IMO. I also can't see tuners going the way of the dodo as we keep getting new FM stations added here in Calgary. Besides the analogue tuners also make your system look cool!

Gary

Gigantic installed base, and the absence of any viable broadcast alternative means FM and AM will be around probably for the rest of our lives.

What is the need, that is not filled by FM and AM???

Now that broadcast HD radio is a $5 accessory for I-phones etc...... perhaps the death of HD FM has been exaggerated.

313rWNz9WFL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Gigaware-Wireless-Radio-Dongle-iPod/dp/B004TGSMMY/ref=cm_rdp_product

This is the automobile version of HD Radio for $59

21MLoU0KSuL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Car-Connect-HD-Radio-Tuner/dp/B00CEFV04E/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t#customerReviews

This is a complete totl Pioneer HD radio replacement for the car $106. I'm guessing other car radio makers have similar product.

61UMp5LT0JL._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-DEHX6600BT-In-Dash-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B00EEO4WD4/ref=pd_cp_e_0

Last edited:
Crown FM1 vs Si4735D60

The Crown is one of the few exceptions here. The FM Two is even better. That is one of the better digitals ever made. However, do remember that all that display circuitry and PLL synthesizer wizardry needs extremely high amounts of shielding to not cause RF interference. Crown did shield their tuners well. But this method adds a little more noise floor than the older tuners. But how much depends on the quality of the design and engineering and the components used. People in and near the transmitters they wish to receive hear it less, those like myself in rural areas need every last measure of sensitivity, selectivity, and low noise floor we can muster. Especially when we are trying to fetch a weak signal from that 50-90 miles or more out.
So i picked up the dead FM1, took a good look inside and put it too some tests.
I see what you mean Ken, they could have done a much better job in the shielding/wiring design of the unit.

I broke the PLL loop by pulling the TL071CN in the loop filter board.
I crudely wired up two pots, to the V tune line. Used a course and fine tune pot the later being a heli-trim w/w type. Hooked the frequency counter up to the SP8629 pre-scaler /100 output.
Breaking the control loop removes the PLL generated noise. The 7-seg LCD display multiplexing is also non-functioning.
So now the FM1 is not a digital tuner anymore but a traditional super-het analog tuner using varactor diodes.
Great it works, so I tune to a station that I know is a fringe station, sandwiched between two higher power local transmitters. It pulls it in, some thing that the tuner in a Pioneer SX-950 has a real problem with. Depending exactly where I tune, you can basically remove the adjacent carrier cross talk, however it is not spot on the exact tune frequency. So I can say the FM1 tuner is pretty darn good. When i compare the Si4735 in the exact same setup, it is just as good, if not better than the FM1.
In this test I see where a narrower IF maybe able to help the FM1. Since the ceramic filters are socketed, it is easy to play around. Digikey still has a large selection of Murata CF types available!!
I asked the wife to compare sound quality, she said she could not hear any difference when in mono. When I put the FM1 in stereo, she said it sounded better than in mono. The signal level on the Si4735 was around 20dBf. I have to do some s/w adds to dynamically change the stereo blend settings, as the default thresholds are I believe are to conservative.
I see a few improvements to the FM1, but I really wonder if it is worth it. I think most of them would be margianl improvements however. One day when I am really bored and the snow is 10' high.
Even with the FM1 -65dB noise/hum spec, I can't hear it. I could re-design the controller too, but that is a fair amount of work.
If anyone is an expert on tuner designs, I have a few ? about a few circuit design specifics? like why they have a var voltage going into the AFC summing node? I see some has replaced the CA3189 with a HA11225, are they truly interchangeable?

So there you have it, as far as I can tell, a 10$ chip performs as well if not better than a expensive varactor tuner from the past.
As far as being as good as a T-2 well I can not say unless I do a comparison too. Not that I do not trust NickG, but I would like him to compare using a Si4735 or Si4770 and using an external DAC too. To bad NickG and others live so far away or we can have a tuner shoot out over a few beers.

Cheers
Rick

Last edited:
So i picked up the dead FM1, took a good look inside and put it too some tests.
I see what you mean Ken, they could have done a much better job in the shielding/wiring design of the unit.

I broke the PLL loop by pulling the TL071CN in the loop filter board.
I crudely wired up two pots, to the V tune line. Used a course and fine tune pot the later being a heli-trim w/w type. Hooked the frequency counter up to the SP8629 pre-scaler /100 output.
Breaking the control loop removes the PLL generated noise. The 7-seg LCD display multiplexing is also non-functioning.
So now the FM1 is not a digital tuner anymore but a traditional super-het analog tuner using varactor diodes.
Great it works, so I tune to a station that I know is a fringe station, sandwiched between two higher power local transmitters. It pulls it in, some thing that the tuner in a Pioneer SX-950 has a real problem with. Depending exactly where I tune, you can basically remove the adjacent carrier cross talk, however it is not spot on the exact tune frequency. So I can say the FM1 tuner is pretty darn good. When i compare the Si4735 in the exact same setup, it is just as good, if not better than the FM1.
In this test I see where a narrower IF maybe able to help the FM1. Since the ceramic filters are socketed, it is easy to play around. Digikey still has a large selection of Murata CF types available!!
I asked the wife to compare sound quality, she said she could not hear any difference when in mono. When I put the FM1 in stereo, she said it sounded better than in mono. The signal level on the Si4735 was around 20dBf. I have to do some s/w adds to dynamically change the stereo blend settings, as the default thresholds are I believe are to conservative.
I see a few improvements to the FM1, but I really wonder if it is worth it. I think most of them would be margianl improvements however. One day when I am really bored and the snow is 10' high.
Even with the FM1 -65dB noise/hum spec, I can't hear it. I could re-design the controller too, but that is a fair amount of work.
If anyone is an expert on tuner designs, I have a few ? about a few circuit design specifics? like why they have a var voltage going into the AFC summing node? I see some has replaced the CA3189 with a HA11225, are they truly interchangeable?

So there you have it, as far as I can tell, a 10$ chip performs as well if not better than a expensive varactor tuner from the past.
As far as being as good as a T-2 well I can not say unless I do a comparison too. Not that I do not trust NickG, but I would like him to compare using a Si4735 or Si4770 and using an external DAC too. To bad NickG and others live so far away or we can have a tuner shoot out over a few beers.

Cheers
Rick

That would be excellent Rick but as you say you are about 3000 miles from me!

The only 'external' DAC I use is the DAC in my Tascam CD-RW900SL CD recorder which seems to be a decent one - I tend to play the output of the Squeezebox Touch via this route as there seems to be a slight improvement on high quality radio streams.

It would certainly be interesting to compare one of your units not just with the T-2 but with the Sony XDR-F1HD. There's no digital out on the latter but for me all that processing ruins the sound.

Regards,
Nick

Back
Top Bottom