Need Info on KA-9100

4Play

I am in need of as much information as I can find on the Kenwood KA-9100. I have spent the majority of the day trying to find what I need, but there seems to be not that much on the internet. HiFi Engine does not provide the info as you think it would.

The 9100 is known as a DC Stereo Integrated Amplifier. What is the significance of having a DC stereo amp? I know this was Kenwood's TOTL, but how hard would it be to find parts. How would you compare the 9100 to a Pioneer SA-9800 or the Onkyo A-10. Does anyone know when Kenwood introduced the 9100, and when did Pioneer introduced the 9800, and when did Onkyo introduced the A-10? Were they introduced around the same time?

Any and all information you could provide will be greatly appreciated. :music:

The KA9100 was present in the european 1977-78 catalog.
DC amplifier means no capacitors in the signal path, which helps to lower the frequency response -3dB point, ideally to 0 Hz.

cdkands.com is only about restoration, no info at all. However TVK had some info I was unaware of.

"Conservatively rated at 100WPC into 8 ohms, will drive two pairs of speakers, 4-16 ohms single pair, 8-16 ohms both pairs. The amplifier features a dual-mono construction right from the power cord - including dual power transformers, power supplies and completely separated amplifier sections. [...] The preamp section is more high-end oriented than it's smaller brother, the 8100."

So does this mean that each pair of speakers has their own power supply? I would appreciate additional info regarding the above statement.

cdkands.com is only about restoration, no info at all. However TVK had some info I was unaware of.

"Conservatively rated at 100WPC into 8 ohms, will drive two pairs of speakers, 4-16 ohms single pair, 8-16 ohms both pairs. The amplifier features a dual-mono construction right from the power cord - including dual power transformers, power supplies and completely separated amplifier sections. [...] The preamp section is more high-end oriented than it's smaller brother, the 8100."

So does this mean that each pair of speakers has their own power supply? I would appreciate additional info regarding the above statement.

Not each pair - just each channel. A dual-mono amplifier is essentially two complete amplifiers together on one chassis from input to output, tied together only by switches and such - as compared to a conventional stereo amplifier which has a single power supply for both channels. Both Onkyo and Harman Kardon were big on that design.

Happy trails,
Larry B.

KA 9100 is often regarded as one of the best in the KA line. Not the most expensive or best overall performance but close enough for many. Can be bought for a fair price sometimes. Nice ones still bring $350-400 I like the heat sink design on these better than all the others, but that's just my preference. They have many other nice amps from that era too. Match it up with a KT 8300 or KT7500 and some of the optional handles and it's one sexy package. These also have a nice Alps volume control and a great phono section similar to it's big brother the Supreme 600

Has anyone been able to compare an Onkyo A-10 to a KA-9100, or an 8300, 7100, or any of the other Kenwoods of the era? I have an A-10 and like it a lot.

Last edited:
If memory serves,the Pioneer SA-9800 integrated was introduced in 1979 with a MRRP of $800,whereas the Kenwood KA-9100 was introduced in 1977 with a MRRP of $600,so with inflation taken into account there's only approx $80 difference between the two.
Both of 'em are truly excellent sounding amps... Personally (therefore according to my ears),the Pioneer just has the edge!.. It seems to have a tad more depth along with more pleasing extended highs & lows.
But at the end of the day,you just can't go wrong with either.To buy something brand new nowadays that would sound and be built just as good as these two integrated classics would cost you a few thousand at the very least!

Last edited:
KA9100 outputs are near impossible to find, and when you do, they are over a benjamin ...
The amp itself sounds just fine, a little sharp in some cases, almost par for everything else from that age/power range.

I have one with something bad in the phono section I need to get to and fix.

Cool.
Srinath.

Has anyone been able to compare an Onkyo A-10 to a KA-9100, or an 8300, 7100, or any of the other Kenwoods of the era? I have an A-10 and like it a lot.

I was also wondering how the KA-9100 compared to an Onkyo A-10. I have always wanted an A-10 since I owned an A-5 back in 1977. I have an opportunity to buy both, but after serious deliberation I decided to go with the KA-9100. One reason is the KA-9100 is the least expensive, given how the economy is these days, you have to spend your money wisely.

I have not heard the Onkyo A 10. But I have repaired and heard a KA 7100 ... phenomenal. Its like butter compared to the KA9100.
I'd give the KA9100 an A++ for looks though. The 7100 not that impressive though it does have similar face, the body is more generic steel.

Cool.
Srinath.

Back
Top Bottom