October 15th 2011 - The Oktoberfrankenfest get together is GO!

Hey Lex, remember that you put the hard sell on me!!! And that TEAC doesn't even have a power cord...how am I supposed to listen to my Henry Mancini reel? Seriously, though, thanks for the deal...it really is a handsome addition to my "pile o' coolness."
Glad you liked my speakers, motorstereo. Don't give me too much credit, though, because I only bought the plywood, and later switched out the Tang Band drivers with Mark Audio 3" drivers. My friend did most of the work (while I depleted his Sierra Nevada beer). Anyway, those single-driver, DIY speakers don't sound good with everything (no Rush 2112!), but with nice acoustic music, and placed in a mid-size room, they really have a pleasant sound.

Last edited:
One more thing: A tip o' the audio hat to Delihaus for convincing me to buy those Audio Tecnica headphones. All I have to do is slightly adjust the speaker balance on my amp, and the drivers match up perfectly. Until I attempt a full fix...they really sound wonderful! Comfy, too!

Urchinn I'm glad to hear my AT headphones are working and sound wonderful/comfy. Good chance with a little tinkering they will be working 100%. And a big thanks goes to Paul for sealing the deal. Rich.

I'd good for it!

Urchinn - I told you I'd send you the cord for the TEAC when it arrives at my house. PM me with your address. We take service after the sale seriously. At least for a few days!

I picked up a Dual 1219 today from CL. It seems mechanically very sound but has a hum. I'll need to track that down. Someone refinished the wooden base at some point and it wasn't a great job. OK for now but I may strip the wood down and try to match the original finish when I redo it.

The seller had absolutely no clue about turntables. The AT-92E cartridge is fairly new but the stylus is bent. When I looked at the arm setup, I saw that the counterbalance weight was all the way in. That's MAX mass on the poor old stylus. Ouch! I put another cartridge/headshell on it for testing purposes and am listening to it now. I love seeing that big old 12" platter going around. It looks good parked next to my TEAC 3340S quad 10.5" RTR deck. Ah, yes...

Thanks to Frank and Peter for hosting and to W1Jim for his legwork to make this happen.
Each one gets better.
I had a great time and met many who've become friends over time.
Weird Al Yankovic was calling our names though, so I had to bail out early. Fortunately, it was a great show. It would take a lot to drag me away from these meets at this point.
It was fun to play in the back room, but to me it was only when Chinacave's B&W speakers came into that the room started to sound good. Regardless of the electronics, that room has its issues. Polite speakers showed the room at its best.
Thanks all for your patience and interest.
i was supposed to pick up a speaker selector from someone. If they PM me, I'd be happy to pay for it and have it shipped.

Last edited:
Urchinn I'm glad to hear my AT headphones are working and sound wonderful/comfy. Good chance with a little tinkering they will be working 100%. And a big thanks goes to Paul for sealing the deal. Rich.

AHHHHH! that's where these went. I left the room for 5 minutes to hook up an antenna to the KLH 21 and when I came back both the headphones and that Melos pre-amp were gone hahah!

Dan was kind enough to sort me out with some lovely parting gifts in the the form of a pair of A/D/S L210c speakers that are now playing nicely with my little parasound Z -series collection.

question: is there a place that lists all of the clubs ( official or unofficial) events, swaps/ For sale listings for NEW ENGLAND besides the postings here on AK?

A big thanks to Frank and Jim, and the Filipino ladies for the awesome food. I got home just in time to hit a busy stretch so I don't have my pics sorted out yet, but they'll get posted eventually.

See you all at the next one.

Health issues prevented my appearance. I surely would have liked to see everyone......

Best,

Paul

Health issues prevented my appearance. I surely would have liked to see everyone......

Best,

Paul

You were missed,Paul.Hope you are feeling better.I'll make sure,that my wife makes some more spring rolls for you to enjoy,at the next gathering.She was actually looking forward to listening to your system,and was ready to request a few tunes.Next time.Take care,and get well. Rich

Yeh, your absence was felt, Paul. Hope you're feeling up to the next one.

You were missed,Paul.Hope you are feeling better.I'll make sure,that my wife makes some more spring rolls for you to enjoy,at the next gathering.She was actually looking forward to listening to your system,and was ready to request a few tunes.Next time.Take care,and get well. Rich

Thanks guys! I'm never going to get well, however I surely appreciate your kind thoughts. Believe me, I missed being there a lot.....also wanted to try the spring rolls, I'm sure they were excellent. :thmbsp:

There will be another get together, and I'll do my best to show up. I wish I could do something at my place, though it is not small, the layout prevents comfort for a gathering of much more than 5 or 6 people at a time. Even though I have thinned out quite a bit of equipment, what still remains kind of takes over the place! :nono:

Best,

Paul

Back
Top Bottom