Yesterday's Score...

shoggoth80

Hey all. So, I got a surprise when I got to work yesterday. I come in to find a tuner and an integrated amp sitting on top my toolbox. One of the daytime supervisors shouted at me "Hey, those are for you!" I talked to my coworker who brought them in today... and he saved them from the e-cycle bin. I haven't tested the tuner yet... because it's really a secondary issue. I don't listen to much radio in general, let alone outside of the car. Lol. However, testing the amp, everything seems to work, and from what I can tell, just has a couple blems, and some dust. I'll probably clean it all out and deoxit it anyway.

It's a Yamaha Natural Sound CA-810. It's got 3 phono inputs, one of which is for a moving coil cart. It has several loading options for the cartridges on the front panel. 2 tape inputs, 1 tuner, and an aux.

I tested all the inputs, except the MC phono (no MC cart to try) and they all work. Someone probably didn't know what they were getting rid of, or didn't have component pieces to test with. Hell, the volume controls aren't even scratchy. It's not all "OMG soooo minty!" but it's more than clean enough for random free. Amp is pretty heavy, with a rather large transformer in there. I think the back said 310W? Which translates to about 77.5WPC? A bit more oomph than my Hitachi. I know, I committed a sin by posting before looking up specs... but I'm kinda stoked.

Nice score.

And those vintage Yamaha pieces sound pretty darn good. :yes::yes:

Love the flexibility of the phono inputs.

Enjoj.

you have to buy your coworker a good lunch

Maybe lunch for a week!

This is an excellent amp. If you spin vinyl, you have a lot of options for cartridge matching. I also find the "audio muting" switch a nice touch when lowering the tonearm.

WOW! I like that old Natural Sound stuff and the Silver finish is really fine. You lucky devil!!

I've got a couple co-workers into audio. Primarily tube gear and older vintage. I can see how paying along a solid state amp wouldn't bug him too much. I still need to let him know it works and all.

Very nice, you are lucky to have that amp and tuner. I once had a CA-610, lower in the range, and it sounded great, and was a real workhorse.

I have one that doesn't work that I bought at a yard sale. One that does work for free is killer!

Back
Top Bottom