Show us your Realistic (Radio Shack) stuff

A profile view of my STA-2300 receiver and LAB-300 TT.

Not pictured are:

(7) black Minimus 7 speakers
Nova Pro headphones
Mach 2 speakers
Minimus 0.6 powered mini-speakers

Sorry for the sideways photo. Dunno why it came out like that.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 138
I have read a few posts that say that the 80s era receivers like my sta-2100D need a little fine-tuning with an EQ and I think that's probably true. What is the best realistic EQ from 79-81? Naturally I'd like something with walnut veneer to complete the stack. I haven't seen any in this thread and I wonder if they exist.

At least there is the model 31-1987 with wood grain surface in Walnut.
I have two of them - but I don't know how good they are. Never used them for a longer time.

At least there is the model 31-1987 with wood grain surface in Walnut.
I have two of them - but I don't know how good they are. Never used them for a longer time.

I had one of those as my first equalizer in the late 70's. It did quite well in correcting the problems I had with the acoustics in my room at that time.

The little RS EQ worked just fine for the 10 years I had it and sold me on the idea fine tuning the equalization in any system I setup.

Mark Gosdin

Sta-2000d

I bought this Realistic STA-2000D at a flea market for about $40 last year. Finally cleaned it up and bought a missing knob on Bartertown from Silversleep. Everything functions besides 2 bulbs (FM light and Stereo light). Overall sounds great and looks good.

Attachments

• photo(2).jpg
    photo(2).jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 109
I was 17 when I purchased this radio shack STA 2100D system, included a pair of mach 1s, Optimus T-200s, and LAB 400 turntable. I power it up once in a while to feel the music. I have started collecting some of the Realistic stuff.

I'm sure you probably purchased them the way they are, but it's mind boggling how people replaced the woofers in the T-200's instead of refoaming them or replacing the coils. It just makes them look so ugly now.

Just picked up this 31-2000A to add to the system

So happy! This is going to be a great addition.

eq.JPG

Realistic Optimus 800 restored

As I knew this thread existed, I thought it was the best place to show them. A nice pair of Optimus 800 speakers from 1982. They're Canadian version and I believe it's been only sold in Canada. I've just re-foamed them and refinished the nice walnut wood. Additionally, a tweeter was blown and got very lucky to find the exact same type, new, 32 years later. I was mind blown when I saw in my RS catalog from 1982 that they worth $230 (CND) each! What is it in today's money? whoa! Woofers are 10", mids 5" and tweeters 2 3/4". 100 Watt RMS @ 8 ohms. Nice sounding. They have a 3" vent in the back.

attachment.php

Side view with the walnut finish

attachment.php

Attachments

• Realistic_Optimus-800_ak.JPG
    Realistic_Optimus-800_ak.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 505
  • Realistic_Optimus-800_side_ak.JPG
    Realistic_Optimus-800_side_ak.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 494
My new vintage Realistic HI-FI

I'm just getting into vintage Hi-Fi and my most recent pickup is a mint 1978 Realistic component system with Pioneer loudspeakers. Current specs are:

Realistic SA-2000 Power Amp
Realistic TM-1000 Tuner
Realistic SCT-11 Cassette Deck
Realistic Lab-400 Turntable
Realistic Stereo Frequency Equalizer Model 31-1987
Realistic Lab-6 Turntable (Backup)
Pioneer CS-G403 Loudspeakers

The system is in VERY good condition and I'm having a blast rocking old vinyl and tapes!

Attachments

• Realistic.jpg
    Realistic.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
I'm just getting into vintage Hi-Fi and my most recent pickup is a mint 1978 Realistic component system with Pioneer loudspeakers. Current specs are:

Realistic SA-2000 Power Amp
Realistic TM-1000 Tuner
Realistic SCT-11 Cassette Deck
Realistic Lab-400 Turntable
Realistic Stereo Frequency Equalizer Model 31-1987
Realistic Lab-6 Turntable (Backup)
Pioneer CS-G403 Loudspeakers

The system is in VERY good condition and I'm having a blast rocking old vinyl and tapes!

Show us pics of everything. That Lab 400 is a very nice TT.

Last edited:
Here's my radio shack stuff.
A Realistic Lab 395 TT
An Optimus 31-2030 EQ
And the awsome Realistic 31 - 2000A EQ

Attachments

• 20140907_212704.jpg
    20140907_212704.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 99
  • 20140907_212824.jpg
    20140907_212824.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 82
  • 20140907_212943.jpg
    20140907_212943.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Most of the audio equipment RS carried wasn't considered “the best” on the market but there were some exceptions as seen on these pages. The three RS items I’ve listed have meant much to me along the way. My CD-3400 portable I used as a transport for my DAC. Outstanding as a transport and it appears to have a better than average headphone circuit. When used with my Grado SR60phones the sound was amazing. Some claimed the FE103 4” DIY driver was a Fostex FE103 clone but I’m not sure that is true. I bought 10 pieces for 5 clams ea. on closeout. The AM loop antenna some claim was made by Select-A-Tenna. I know it worked really well for me as I had one really great AM station in my small town (now off air).

Attachments

• DSCF2356.jpg
    DSCF2356.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 77
  • DSCF2353.jpg
    DSCF2353.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 88
  • DSCF2354.jpg
    DSCF2354.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCF2358.jpg
    DSCF2358.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 67
Did Radio Shack always slap their Realistic name on other company model audio electronics, or did they actually make audio components of their own at some point? I can see they put their name on Elac turntables, I never knew that. I know that when I worked at Radio Shack in the 90s, many receivers were actually Kenwoods.

Did Radio Shack always slap their Realistic name on other company model audio electronics, or did they actually make audio components of their own at some point? I can see they put their name on Elac turntables, I never knew that. I know that when I worked at Radio Shack in the 90s, many receivers were actually Kenwoods.

Kenwood and Pioneer made most of their amplifiers/receivers and TT's. Technics is rumored to have made some of their TT's also. Aiwa/Sony made most of their cassette decks. I am not sure who made their speaker systems

Kenwood and Pioneer made most of their amplifiers/receivers and TT's. Technics is rumored to have made some of their TT's also. Aiwa/Sony made most of their cassette decks. I am not sure who made their speaker systems

It appears that RS used a variety of manufacturers throughout the years. I have an STA-795 that I use for in the ceiling background music that is pretty obviously a Pioneer. Their earlier turntables were from BSR, CEC and Elac/Miracord. Foster/Fostex supplied some of the better speakers. Shure made phono cartridges for them. I am sure a lot of bid wars were going on and equipment was built to spec and price points by the lowest bidder. Lots of good stuff out there if you do not mind the name.

Back
Top Bottom