Florida? Lets get a Florida Fest Going for this year!

Lwrs10

Some of us in the south, like Alabama, Georgia, Florida, ETC, do not have big regional get togethers. And....we are all too far away to make the occasional AK fest, unless we want to fly.

So, what we need to do is get a nice sized meet going! I am located in Pensacola, FL, and this would be a good central location for alot of southern folks. I have access to the local brewery, lots of food hookups, etc.....and....its Pensacola!

So, who's up for something like this?

Yeah, I know, old thread dredged up from the bottom of the page. But dang, wish I had seen this back then! I've often wondered why there hasn't been one in FL.

It's a deceptively big state as you guys know. From Pensacola to the Miami is one heck of a haul.

Where would we do it, and when? I'm only in Florida for about 4 months out of the year, but may adjust to make this. If it's really going to happen.

Orlando would probably be central enough. Most could drive there.

It's a deceptively big state as you guys know. From Pensacola to the Miami is one heck of a haul.

Where would we do it, and when? I'm only in Florida for about 4 months out of the year, but may adjust to make this. If it's really going to happen.

Orlando would probably be central enough. Most could drive there.

I was pondering the same thing. The I-4 corridor is a driving nightmare, but it does offer the most central-ish meeting spot. The other question is physical location. Depending on attendance, we may have to rent a convention hall. Unless someone has a large enough garage. Problem with that is it'll be bloody hot most of the year unless A/C is involved.

Here are the population centers.

And the geographic center is in
Hernando County 12 mi (19 km) north-northwest of Brooksville 28°40′53″N 82°27′36″W

Not a bad idea. keeps it on the I75 corridor, and moves it slightly closer for the guys in Pensacola.

Something I just noticed, Tampa has a decent selection of vinyl shops. I'd be passing relatively close by on the way back down. :D

orlando looks like a fairly central location for most of us! there is a tube radio club called FAWG thats based in the Orlando area of florida. any of you guys members I think they may be able to help with a location or at least a suggestion?

I have taken the liberty of contacting the Hernando County Board of Tourism for a suggested hall, hanger etc. I will let you know of any developments (I hope).

I propose to meet on a Sunday (no work) in the spring, before the heat really arrives.

Thanks! Hopefully they come up with some good ideas.

Wait. We have spring? You mean there is a season separating tourist season and hurricane season? How have I missed this for the past 30 years?!? :D :tongue:

Sunday works for me, means I don't have to fight with my revolving Saturdays at work.

orlando looks like a fairly central location for most of us! there is a tube radio club called FAWG thats based in the Orlando area of florida. any of you guys members I think they may be able to help with a location or at least a suggestion?

Never even knew they existed till you mentioned them. Their page on RadioRelics hasn't been updated since March 2013. Hopefully they stay too busy tinkering with tubes to update. Would be neat to hit one of their swapmeets.

Here are the population centers.

And the geographic center is in
Hernando County 12 mi (19 km) north-northwest of Brooksville 28°40′53″N 82°27′36″W

Spring Hill in Hernando Co is Ohhwell's home turf. May have leads on a location.

Orlando is DeeCee's home turf. Same deal there.

Back
Top Bottom