JVC M-7050 Amp & P-L10 Pre Amp! Some Pics.

GD70

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I just bought these ultra rare pieces of gear. The Amp was on ebay, the seller threw in the pre amp for a 100 more! The cabs are banged up and will need restoration. They turn on, come out of protection. The pre amp's lights don't light up on the function buttons. These go for chit load if you can even find them.
The seller clears out houses left empty and said there was a ton of gear in the place. He only did preliminary power tests to see that they turn on etc...

I downloaded the Amp user/service manual, can't find the PL10 manual yet.
Here's a few pics from the listing. I'm sure I'll need help with the non-working lights and any other electronic issues these may have. Hopefully it's something really simple like a dead fuse. So if anyone has these gems, please let me know, and any other info you have would be greatly appreciated!

Here's a few pics from the listing. He didn't have pics of the pre amp, but said the cabinet was in similar condition. They won't be shipped out until this Friday, so I'm anxious to get these in my possession and check them out ans start the restoration project.
IMG_4948.jpg IMG_4942.jpg IMG_4958.jpg IMG_4959.jpg IMG_4960.jpg IMG_4946.jpg IMG_4945.jpgIMG_4944.jpg M-7050 seller.png

Last edited:
Nice find! That can be fixed and cleaned up I'm sure.

Love those big meters...

The big meters are cool! I felt this was one of those instances that if I didn't grab this, I'd regret it forever because they are so rare.

I'm jealous... That is frickin sweet. I am having a tough time finding a nice, big Super A piece (in my budget.) Hope it all turns out well!

I'm jealous... That is frickin sweet. I am having a tough time finding a nice, big Super A piece (in my budget.) Hope it all turns out well!

Thanks!
I hope there's no major issues, and mostly just cosmetic work needed.
The biggest challenge will be finding parts. The front glass has some damage inside, how that happened who knows. Once I open it up, I may need a glass shop to make me a new one. The cabinets can be repaired and refinished. I pray electronically it's all good, but if not, this is well worth having a tech do repairs if needed. All my JVC gear is built like a tank and I have no doubt this is also.

Glenn

I hope you can get that one meter straightened out. Might just be static

Yeah, I was wondering about that. We'll see what's up with these when it's in my hands and hooked up for testing.

What else could cause that?

Put your finger on the bezel window, move it back and forth and see if the needle reacts to it. If it does, just some dish soap rubbed on will eliminate the static and the meter should return to normal. Then wipe off the dish soap

Put your finger on the bezel window, move it back and forth and see if the needle reacts to it. If it does, just some dish soap rubbed on will eliminate the static and the meter should return to normal. Then wipe off the dish soap

Thanks for the tip! I'll have it some time late next week.

You are one lucky man! I've seen those online but never seen one posted online. And you definitely got a score on that one. I found the listing for it. Congrats! and let us know how it is! :music:

You are one lucky man! I've seen those online but never seen one posted online. And you definitely got a score on that one. I found the listing for it. Congrats! and let us know how it is! :music:

I agree! No one bit the first listing for 300.00. Then when it was re listed for 250.00 I had to jump. What a bonus with the seller throwing in the PL10 Pre Amp for a 100 extra. You almost never see these listed.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed the repairs are mainly cosmetic.

Pre Amp pics

The seller sent me a couple pics of the pre amp. I'm very excited to get my hands on these pieces. The cabinets will probably need to be stripped and re-veneered with Rose wood like the originals. The originals were finished with 20 coats of varnish for the piano smooth finish. I haven't worked with varnish, but look forward to the project.

Glenn
P-L10 Seller 2.png P-L10-seller.png

Last edited:
I'm stoked! Were shipped today, should be delivered Monday. Can't wait to see what I've got and what I need to do to restore them.

Still looking for parts, so please, anyone has any leads, let me know, even if it's from Europe!

Glenn

More pics

So I received the amps today. The packing was not good and there was some additional damage beyond what I was expecting. I've emailed the seller and we'll see what happens.

Anyway, two of the PC boards in the pre amp are loose. The 8 nylon fasteners (4 per board) that hold them in place were broken. Who's the best source for replacements? Here's some pics of the broken ones, and ones that are the same type, not broken but are longer. I need this style but shorter for the pre amp boards.

Here's some pics of the insides. These were owned by a smoker in the past and are pretty dirty. I've done some preliminary cleaning.

On the pre amp, none of the function lights work. When I turn it on, I can hear the relay click out of protection. What may cause this?
On the amp, the power switch light does not come on, the meters light up, and speaker A & B lights work.

I'm sure I'll have a ton more questions as I progress with the restoration, but this is all I can digest at the moment.

I haven't hooked it up yet to see what's working. I need to take the front panel off the amp and make sure nothing in impinging the left meter movement.

It's a shame gear of this caliber was taken care of so porely.

These weigh a ton! The shipping box was 85 lbs!

Thanks, Glenn

IMG_4952.jpg IMG_4961.jpg IMG_4953.jpg IMG_4951.jpg IMG_4963.jpg IMG_4964.jpg IMG_4962.jpg IMG_4965.jpg IMG_4967.jpg IMG_4966.jpg

Last edited:
That is pretty sad. Those are way to cool to be neglected like that. I have a feeling those plastic stand-offs or whatever they are could be tough to find too. I have seen similar parts used in automotive applications though. If you are careful enough, you may find some that are salvageable from old equipment. Seems like they get destroyed frequently.

Have you check if those bulbs ate just burnt out or have bad contacts?

When I turn it on, I can hear the relay click out of protection. What may cause this?

Can you explain what you mean by this. I'm not experienced enough to be of much help, but I'd sure like to see you be successful in resurrecting this beast.

Looks like it'll take some work, but be damn well worth it.

That is pretty sad. Those are way to cool to be neglected like that. I have a feeling those plastic stand-offs or whatever they are could be tough to find too. I have seen similar parts used in automotive applications though. If you are careful enough, you may find some that are salvageable from old equipment. Seems like they get destroyed frequently.

Have you check if those bulbs ate just burnt out or have bad contacts?

Can you explain what you mean by this. I'm not experienced enough to be of much help, but I'd sure like to see you be successful in resurrecting this beast.

Looks like it'll take some work, but be damn well worth it.

The fasteners that broke are pretty brittle. There's tons of suppliers online, though I'd like to hear from people on the forum where I might find this type and size, or have some from a trashed unit.

The bulbs looked ok upon my initial inspection, but I'll look closer again.

There's a relay that is in a "protection" mode when the unit is first powered up. With my limited knowledge with this stuff, My understanding is everything needs to be working and then the relay clicks out of protection.
Protection mode protects the unit from damage if something is not right, a burnt transistor, or resistor etc...

This gear is well worth restoring, no question and there may be some frustrating issues, I also may luck out and the light issue is a simple fix. I need to pull the front off the power amp off and get that cleaned out, make sure the meters have free movement.

Any help, guidance, and so on will be greatly appreciated. This is new territory for me, and I'm excited to work on this!

Glenn

Sorry to hear about the condition that really sucks,but it looks fixable.That is one hugh tranny in that amp!:yikes:

Sorry to hear about the condition that really sucks,but it looks fixable.That is one hugh tranny in that amp!:yikes:

Practically had a hernia lifting it out of the box!

It's a beast and I can't wait to hear this thing, but first things first.

The seller refunded some money due to the damage incurred during shipping, he did the right thing.

Glenn

Back
Top Bottom